LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus Personal Preference Settings

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-07, 01:18 PM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus Personal Preference Settings

Anyone know an internet web site where these are published, specifically for the 2005 LS 430. The way it is set now the side view mirrors close and tuck in close to the car when the ignition shuts off and then redeploy when ignition occurs. This is one thing I would like to change and am wondering what other possibilities are.

Last edited by Paul B; 02-28-07 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-28-07, 01:57 PM
DrummerK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking LPS vs. Dashboard Controls....

Originally Posted by Paul B
Anyone know an internet web site where these are published, specifically for the 2005 LS 430. The way it is set now the side view mirrors close and tuck in close to the car when the ignition shuts off and then redeploy when ignition occurs. This is one thing I would like to change and am wondering what other possibilities are.
Um, I could be missing something here, and would be the first to admit error since I'm the proud owner of an '04, not an '05.... But what you are describing as the behavior specifically of the side mirrors is NOT an LPS setting. In my '04, there is a rocker switch on the dashboard that controls this behavior. By the default "Auto" position (middle), the mirrors behave as you have described; if you push the switch on the right side, the mirrors manually fold; push to the left, and they manually unfold -- of course, if you leave the switch in the left-pushed position at all times, your mirrors will not fold when you shut off the ignition.

What you don't say in your note is exactly what you wish to change the behavior to, so I'm just having to guess here. Again, if you don't want the mirrors to fold at all, simply leave the rocker switch pushed to the left. Personally, I like the Auto folding-mirrors mode myself.

As to the other part of your question about where to find the LPS settings/options online, it's always been odd to me that the main Lexus Owner's site (owners.lexus.com) has the LPS document for all models EXCEPT for the LS! But I think I have a PDF for the '04 LS430 somewhere which I'll have to find and may be able to post later.... Stay tuned!

Last edited by DrummerK; 02-28-07 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Bad grammar!
Old 02-28-07, 02:14 PM
Paul B
Driver

Thank you for the reply. I did find the LS 430 settings on the Lexus web site and I should have checked there first. They were updated in Nov. 2006 and if you do a search on LS 430 personalized settings, it will bring it up.

You are correct though that the mirrors are not part of the personalized settings, of which there are 16 choices. It strikes me as strange that the mirrors fold on ignition or lack thereof. I really can't see the utility value in that. I can see wanting to fold them when pulling into a tight spot or into the garage, but that needs to be done manually anyway.
Old 02-28-07, 02:20 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The mirrors on the new LS 460 no longer fold that way...they fold/unfold when you lock/unlock the car, or if you push the button. But yeah, you can adjust the settings on the LS 430 to auto-fold or not.
Old 02-28-07, 02:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Thank you for the reply. I did find the LS 430 settings on the Lexus web site and I should have checked there first. They were updated in Nov. 2006 and if you do a search on LS 430 personalized settings, it will bring it up.

You are correct though that the mirrors are not part of the personalized settings, of which there are 16 choices. It strikes me as strange that the mirrors fold on ignition or lack thereof. I really can't see the utility value in that. I can see wanting to fold them when pulling into a tight spot or into the garage, but that needs to be done manually anyway.
Is the list you found a two pager with the first page a cover image? Like 10 questions? That's what I found when I searched there. http://lexus2.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/l...422738&p_olh=0

That's a good 'dumbed down' list for the most changed settings, but if you want the full list, the linked thread below lists 'em
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164330

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-28-07 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-28-07, 02:41 PM
Paul B
Driver

Thanks Dave.

Your reference list is much more comprehensive than the one showed on the Lexus site. I've already made the change to the mirrors.

The only change I may have the dealer make is to leave the doors unlocked when I put the car in Park and turn the car off. Quite often I run out to the garage to get a document, forget to bring the key, and find all the doors locked. Naturally, you have to remember to lock the doors when you are away from home and exit the vehicle.
Old 03-01-07, 07:52 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

... It strikes me as strange that the mirrors fold on ignition or lack thereof. I really can't see the utility value in that. I can see wanting to fold them when pulling into a tight spot or into the garage, but that needs to be done manually anyway.
I think this is a holdover from the Japan market cars. When I was there I noticed that parking spaces are EXTREMELY narrow, and learned that people for years have folded their mirrors back (manually on cars without power fold) both for clearance while parking or exiting, and also because people may be walking between the parked cars.

Edit: come to think of it, I guess the fold-back could be useful in my own garage where I tend to park the LS pretty close to the Supra in order to leave a wide walkway from the side entry door to the house, room for my son to park his Peg Perego Gator, etc... I recall having to squeeze between the LS and Supra mirrors sometimes if I have a bag or groceries or something....

Last edited by I6turbo; 03-01-07 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-01-07, 12:41 PM
lexusthai
Driver

My hometown is Bangkok. There we definitely need folding mirrors for parking since, on many streets, space is tight, cars squeeze by. If you have your mirrors unfold while parking, you might see a paint chip or scratch marks when you come back to the car. Worse, when parked on the street.. cars drive by, some gets so close his/her mirror scrapes yours.. when it's a very small street.. this can happen.

so, like I6 Turbo said, probably a holdover.. and it's great when you park in the U.S., people walk through the space between parked cars, and sometimes when they turn on the side, things like their belt buckle brush your mirror.. thereby scratch the paint. I think it's a good idea to leave them folded when parked... sometimes I closed my door and have to squeeze myself between my mirror and the other car's mirror.. So I like it when they fold when ignition goes off, so I won't forget to fold it..
Old 03-03-07, 08:50 AM
cdnguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, one of the few countries in the world where you can't buy a Lexus is ... Japan (having said that, they may have recently introduced them). So the folding mirrors are not a holdover from there - rather it's probably a copy of Mercedes whose cars had this innovation prior to Lexus - for the many narrow streets and parking spots in Europe.
Old 03-03-07, 11:36 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnguy
Actually, one of the few countries in the world where you can't buy a Lexus is ... Japan (having said that, they may have recently introduced them). So the folding mirrors are not a holdover from there - rather it's probably a copy of Mercedes whose cars had this innovation prior to Lexus - for the many narrow streets and parking spots in Europe.
IT might not have been called the LS, but its been selling in japan, even before it sold here under the Toyota name badge. The only thing they did is change it from a Toyota to a Lexus in 2006.
Old 03-04-07, 08:16 AM
cdnguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right. It was exactly the same car, but called the Toyota Celsior. It premiered at the same time in Japan, as in the US. We Canadians were a year behind.

(from Wikopedia)

By 1986, Toyota executives had decided to form a new luxury division, Lexus, to support the launch of their flagship sedan. The final design of the resulting Lexus LS 400 (UCF10) was approved in 1987, and the vehicle premiered at U.S. and international auto shows in 1989. Although the LS 400 was initially intended to launch as a standalone model[6] for Lexus, it was ultimately sold alongside the ES 250, an entry-level luxury car based on the Toyota Camry. The first Lexus dealerships in the U.S. began sales of the Lexus LS and its stablemate in September 1989. Sales in Australia, Canada, and Europe began in 1990. In Japan, where Lexus was not established, the flagship sedan was sold as the Toyota Celsior
Old 06-14-15, 07:41 PM
qa4057
Driver School Candidate

I know this is about 10 years old but maybe a link to the site might be a good idea instead of a bunch of words no one cares about?
Old 06-14-15, 07:43 PM
qa4057
Driver School Candidate

Permission Denied

You do not have permission to access this document.