LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-18, 07:59 AM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Great write up, Zapola.
FWIW, I'm at 204K and on the original windshield. It has it's share of road rash, but it's still in decent shape. For the last 3 years, I've been doing a 150+ mile commute each day and the front end is starting to show it. Yes, definitely a lot of Hi-Way dings on the nose as well. No rust really to speak of. Some on the suspension, but the body still looks decent.
I just did both front wheel hubs last week as I had noise coming from the right side.
Thanks,

How much of a difference did the 2 wheel bearing hubs make?

Old 09-14-18, 05:45 AM
Lexus430P
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2005 Base LS 430

Purchased used in early 2015 with 88K miles. Now has 112k miles. I have replaced the tires with Michelin’s , replaced one headlight, replaced timing chain/belt, new fuel pump(that was a bummer as it quit on me in an inconvenient location), other routine maintenance performed by my local LEXUS dealer (they have been superb). The car runs and handles exceptionally well. This car does not have a navigation system and I would like to know what my options are to upgrade with a Lexus system or possible aftermarket system that integrates well into the dash. I would also like to know of anyone who might have updated their type 3 with a hands free phone system. Love the car but somewhat unhappy with the front seats as they have lost most of their conformity and support. The leather is excellent and very clean. I plan to be the final owner of this great vehicle. This is my second Lexus. If I win the lottery I would go buy the LS500 fully tricked out!
Old 10-13-18, 11:10 AM
Richard619
Driver School Candidate

Default San Diego Ls430

Just bought my 2002 430 and I couldn't be more happy with it. It has 165k on it no problems with it and the previous owner says the same.
Old 10-13-18, 12:16 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus430P
Purchased used in early 2015 with 88K miles. Now has 112k miles. I have replaced the tires with Michelin’s , replaced one headlight, replaced timing chain/belt, new fuel pump(that was a bummer as it quit on me in an inconvenient location), other routine maintenance performed by my local LEXUS dealer (they have been superb). The car runs and handles exceptionally well. This car does not have a navigation system and I would like to know what my options are to upgrade with a Lexus system or possible aftermarket system that integrates well into the dash. I would also like to know of anyone who might have updated their type 3 with a hands free phone system. Love the car but somewhat unhappy with the front seats as they have lost most of their conformity and support. The leather is excellent and very clean. I plan to be the final owner of this great vehicle. This is my second Lexus. If I win the lottery I would go buy the LS500 fully tricked out!
Finding someone to upholster those fronts seats or keep a look out for used ones in pretty good shape shouldn't be that difficult.That LS500 is real NICE...

Last edited by steelers6; 10-13-18 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-13-18, 01:17 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus430P
Not sure if you're still active here or not. The non-nav cars are the best. With the Beat Sonic kit ($400) and your choice of double DIN radios, you can have an updated stereo. The BS kit is expensive but has an OEM fit and finish and I can't recommend it enough. It's a long install due to what you have to remove to run all the wires but worth it in the end. I went with a Pioneer and now have a backup camera, Blue Tooth, USB audio, Android Auto, etc. Very worth it. Will eventually replace the front and rear speakers and be done with it. Search here and you'll find a few threads with some great info, including pics of my set up.
Old 10-14-18, 09:20 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by zapola6
Thanks,

How much of a difference did the 2 wheel bearing hubs make?
Sorry, just saw this. After swapping the hubs out, it quieted it down, but really no difference outside of that. The left side was quiet to begin with and I'm sure I could have driven the car for a while with the noise the Right side was making (minimal bearing noise). However, I was looking at selling it soon and wanted to get it as fault free as possible...
Old 10-14-18, 01:12 PM
Lexus430P
Driver School Candidate

Default Still active

Originally Posted by Romanova
Not sure if you're still active here or not. The non-nav cars are the best. With the Beat Sonic kit ($400) and your choice of double DIN radios, you can have an updated stereo. The BS kit is expensive but has an OEM fit and finish and I can't recommend it enough. It's a long install due to what you have to remove to run all the wires but worth it in the end. I went with a Pioneer and now have a backup camera, Blue Tooth, USB audio, Android Auto, etc. Very worth it. Will eventually replace the front and rear speakers and be done with it. Search here and you'll find a few threads with some great info, including pics of my set up.
Thanks for the excellent info and I will check out those links and see what I can do with some electronic improvements.
Old 11-17-18, 09:32 AM
bkaley
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2005 LS430 Bought at Lexus with 72,000 miles in 2013
118K miles as of 2018
Replaced right front strut in '14
Replaced timing belt '15
Annoyances:
Navigation system is over complex and obsolete. I use my cell.
CDR jammed in Mark Levinson (POS) 6 CD player and cannot (according to Lexus dealer) be removed. This system doesn't even play mp3s anyway.
Left, then right power mirror motors stopped working.
Power seat adjustments are starting to fail.
Telescopic steering motor stopped working.
Driver adjust memory stopped functioning correctly.
Trunk still doesn't pop up after replacing the gas shocks... Poor over complex latching design.
I still love this car and it's reliability as well as the silky smooth power and ride.
Old 11-18-18, 06:45 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 200k mile club

just past the 200k mile.

🎊🎉
Old 11-19-18, 07:03 AM
reozone
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bkaley
2005 LS430 Bought at Lexus with 72,000 miles in 2013
118K miles as of 2018
Replaced right front strut in '14
Replaced timing belt '15
Annoyances:
Navigation system is over complex and obsolete. I use my cell.
CDR jammed in Mark Levinson (POS) 6 CD player and cannot (according to Lexus dealer) be removed. This system doesn't even play mp3s anyway.
Left, then right power mirror motors stopped working.
Power seat adjustments are starting to fail.
Telescopic steering motor stopped working.
Driver adjust memory stopped functioning correctly.
Trunk still doesn't pop up after replacing the gas shocks... Poor over complex latching design.
I still love this car and it's reliability as well as the silky smooth power and ride.
Hi, read your post and wanted to make a few comments. Our '01 is pushing 290k miles and is currently experiencing or has experienced in the past many of your issues. When our CD player jammed (9 years ago?), I remember seeing a service offered on eBay that purported to fix the problem. Ours was a non Mark Levinson and the unit comes out in one piece as part of the radio. I removed the unit and decided to look at it myself first. I don't remember exactly anymore, but something was jammed and when I was able to extract the CD that was stuck, I put it back together and it has worked fine ever since. Our left power mirror and Steering controls also quit. I never got them fixed. Most likely the motors. Too expensive to justify the repair. The gas shocks on the trunk are not, repeat NOT supposed to lift the lid. I know it sounds stupid. They are just there to keep the lid open after you manually lift it. We do have a few other issues, but I'd like to see this car hit the 300k milestone and I don't see anything major keeping that from happening. Our son is currently driving it while we upgraded to an '09 LS460 AWD. Welcome to the forum. You can look forward to many years and miles of "relatively" trouble-free driving.
The following users liked this post:
bkaley (02-25-19)
Old 11-19-18, 10:01 AM
RazorPC
Driver School Candidate

My Mark Levinson CD Player jammed as well. I bought a USA-SPEC BT45-TOY with the Lexus adapter and now I have bluetooth audio. Works perfect.
Old 11-19-18, 10:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by reozone
Hi, read your post and wanted to make a few comments. Our '01 is pushing 290k miles and is currently experiencing or has experienced in the past many of your issues. When our CD player jammed (9 years ago?), I remember seeing a service offered on eBay that purported to fix the problem. Ours was a non Mark Levinson and the unit comes out in one piece as part of the radio. I removed the unit and decided to look at it myself first. I don't remember exactly anymore, but something was jammed and when I was able to extract the CD that was stuck, I put it back together and it has worked fine ever since. Our left power mirror and Steering controls also quit. I never got them fixed. Most likely the motors. Too expensive to justify the repair. The gas shocks on the trunk are not, repeat NOT supposed to lift the lid. I know it sounds stupid. They are just there to keep the lid open after you manually lift it. We do have a few other issues, but I'd like to see this car hit the 300k milestone and I don't see anything major keeping that from happening. Our son is currently driving it while we upgraded to an '09 LS460 AWD. Welcome to the forum. You can look forward to many years and miles of "relatively" trouble-free driving.
I'm on my way to 111k now, which would be 30k miles since 10/16.

I agree--and I love the design whereby trunks use struts. My BMW does as well--they save a TON of space that would be consumed by a mechanism (that is usually so that it can be pulled down by the car electrically). Look at how much smaller a new S550's trunk is vs. the LS430. On the BMW, if lifted to a certain point, the trunk lid will go up on its own, but it is generally more of an assist. The hood is more obvious, where the BMW hood absolutely lifts to open on its own. My Lexus is weak because I bought Monroes and they are junk, although the hood does not fall.
Old 11-20-18, 08:43 AM
tonka225
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my Dad a new 2015 LS460, so inherited his 2001 LS430 that we bought him over 10 years ago.

2001 LS430 @ 143K miles
Ultra Lux package
Old 11-20-18, 08:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tonka225
Bought my Dad a new 2015 LS460, so inherited his 2001 LS430 that we bought him over 10 years ago.

2001 LS430 @ 143K miles
Ultra Lux package
Can I adopt you? lol

I was gonna give my dad my 1998 Maxima SE when it was 1 1/2 y.o., but I never pulled the trigger. Guess I was inspired by that Seinfeld episode where Jerry got his dad a Cadillac. It must be a great feeling. hats off.
Old 11-20-18, 11:46 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Not that it's a ton of miles but I just happen to look at my dash when I was picking up a friend last night and saw I was at 131,313 miles (131313) which looked kinda funny on the odometer.

Quick Reply: How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)