LS430 Audio (Phase 1 & 2 of 3)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-07, 07:05 PM
donpasscal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by installdr
hey don,

i performed the installation on 350g's lexus. as far as retaining a stealth look, you can remove the factory cd changer, and since it is a single din size, you can replace it with an aftermarket radio. the only drawbacks to that are a)you still have a factory radio in the dash that is not functional anymore, b) you can't close the woodgrain cover over the aftermarket radio. as far as reputable installers in the area, my advice would be to do some footwork, ask for a portfolio from the installer once you find a decent looking shop, and ask about any certifications the said installer has. Cars these days are becoming more and more sophisticated every year; an installer isn't worth his weight if he isn't willing to further his education and keep up with the latest technologies and "tricks of the trade". at the bare minimum, he should be MECP certified (the basis of working in the professional realm of installation) and it would be a plus if he was ASE certified in 12volt electrical (the same testing processes used by your local Lexus dealer!!!). Be careful when choosing; ask for references. Good reputable installers are out there, but there are plenty of "POSERS" who would love to tear up your ride....
Remember, you're not driving a Sentra!!!!!!!
Thanks, and i will take heed to your advice when shopping for an installer.

I have been to a few shops and most of them gladly backed out of doing any work on my car because they acknowledged they did not have the expertise. I gratefully thanked them and moved on to the next shop.

This is what i have finally decided to do, inputs welcomed.

I’m thinking of upgrading my sub in 01' LS430 for higher SQ, My LS has got pioneer stock audio.

I’m concerned with improving the bass and getting overall clarity and definition system wise.

My choice of music is varied across the musical spectrum (jazz, oldies, classical, pop, R&B and some rock).
I do not want huge bass at all, I am not trying to blow out my ear drums.

I am thinking of putting in a (maybe customized) sealed box with a single 10” or 12” sub in the trunk that will fire into the car using the space formerly occupied by the OEM subwoofer ( that will be removed).

Original head unit will not be replaced. I am planning on getting a good five channel amp to power the original speakers and the sub.(Suggestions for a good amp and speakers needed. Sometimes down the line the original speakers will be switched out with focals or MB Quarts). Questions I have:
- will it possible to rewire and amplify the original speakers without destroying them with an aftermarket amp?.
- Will it possible to still maintain all the functionality of the OEM Head Unit with an aftermarket amp?
- How did you run the power cable from the battery to that amp. I have been warned about not having anybody drill a hole thru the firewall. A couple of shops i have been to said they will go through the groumet behind the battery or the one from the driver's side. What do you suggest.!

From my research, I have found out I need a LOCs (Line Output Convertors or hi/low convertors) to sum their outputs together. Some say I might need an LC8 which is a little bit more expensive. What have you used that has worked so far. I just need your input on what I am trying to do and if that will work on an LS430
Old 01-30-07, 07:54 AM
installdr
Driver School Candidate

don,

because the majority of the factory amplifiers have built-in crossovers that typically are somewhere around the 100 to 150 hz range, you definitely need a line output converter that not only has a built in line driver (boosts the voltage of the factory system to somewhere around 4-8 volts) but has channel-summing capability as well. This will ensure that you receive a good, clean full spectrum signal to your five channel aftermarket amp. However, due to the fact that you are keeping your factory head unit, you won't have much control over the subwoofer itself. Audio Control makes a ton of good quality pieces; im pretty sure their new line output converters MAY have a built in gain control on one of the channels, which would give you a subwoofer control that you could install somewhere discreet like in the center console. as far as good aftermarket equipment, i don't like to recommend any brands, although i myself prefer Alpine, Boston Acoustic, Clarion, and some of the higher end Kenwood pieces. I would recommend you take some of your own music on a CD and ask the sales reps at whatever reputable shop you decide on to play your own music and listen to the different brands of amps and speakers. Trust me, we can make even the cheapest crap sound great with the right music. Using your own music allows you to replicate what the equipment is going to sound like in your vehicle. Best of luck; if you need any help, yell at me. I'll keep an eye on this thread.....
Old 01-02-08, 06:48 PM
350g
Driver

Wow . . . I forgot to let you guys know that I completed the setup (w/o any back seat monitors--budget) with Alpine Type X 6.5" components in the front doors and Alpine Type R coaxials in the rear doors. I had to use the Type Rs in the rear since Type X does not make them. Overall, I love it.

Now on to the next project: a 2007 Audi S4 . . .
Old 01-26-11, 03:34 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That new head unit looks great!! The install & workmanship looks really clean.
Old 05-07-17, 11:36 PM
stanjones
Driver School Candidate

Default radio kit

where can i buy an double din radio kit?
Old 05-10-17, 03:48 PM
clp71220
Driver School Candidate

h8U0SJAD3jfhtvIO4PHU9W2qQBu_uaLOykp354ZNwF6GQ5NS3xJrYvxoCYmTw_wcB

there are other places. Do a Google search.