LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

XM Radio

Old 11-08-04, 11:28 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XM Radio

I just had the XM satellite radio installed in my '04 LS. I didn't get it originally because I didn't like the appearance of the external antenna (my personal opinion - not criticizing anyone who has one) and thought Lexus wouldn't install one without it.

It turns out that the dealership has installed them for awhile with the antenna inside the center mounted rear brake light. Their input was that they've never had a complaint about reception and I have a lot of confidence in them so I said o.k.

It cost about $850 for the parts and labor but the results are great. I do lose the signal in one area on my commute (for about a minute), but I lose my cell phone signal there as well. My guess is that I would lose it there with the external antenna also. The other place is when I pull into my garage but that makes sense since the signal is blocked.

The sound is great and I love picking what I want to listen to without commercials.
Old 11-09-04, 03:27 PM
nickshubin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never liked the appearance of the external antenna myself. Never thought of mounting antenna on the inside rear dash.

What Dealer installed this for you?

Did they actually put the antenna INSIDE the center mounted rear brake light so it is not visable?

I called my local dealer and they said they have never installed the antenna anywhere except on the trunk. I asked if they could install it inside the rear brake light and they said they could try but the antenna would work better if it was next to the brake light so the brake light cover would not block the signal.

2004 LS430 Ultra
Flint Mica/Blk

Last edited by nickshubin; 11-09-04 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-09-04, 06:36 PM
GS Doug
Driver

Could you please post a picture of your install?
Old 11-10-04, 04:37 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

The name of the dealer is Nalley Lexus in Smyrna, Georgia (outside of Atlanta). The tech that did the install is their lead tech and he told me he had done several this way and had never had anyone complain. With respect to posting a picture, I'll be glad to but it won't show anything since nothing is visible. The antenna is inside the center brake light and is not visible either inside or outside the car.

I've had the XM system for about a week now and am very happy with it. I've only driven it around the Atlanta area but am taking the car on a business trip to Charleston, SC. I'm interested in seeing how the reception is on the trip.
Old 11-24-04, 01:58 PM
nickshubin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks stanatl,
After receiving your last post I made an appointment with my local Lexus dealer to have XM satellite installed in my 04 LS. They said they had never installed the antenna inside the center mounted rear brake light before but would try. I picked up the car this morning, the dealer said everything went great and that the antenna fit inside the brake light. The car looks the same, no sign of any installation on the rear deck or inside the trunk.

Drove to my office, called XM Radio and had 120 channels within 10 minutes.

Dealer Name: Longo Lexus, El Monte CA.

I will update later on problems with reception if any.

2004 LS430 Ultra
Flint Mica / Black
Old 11-25-04, 11:21 AM
MikeC4w
Driver School Candidate

i have the trunk mount.... I don't "mind" it ( i love the XM radio BUT i think i will try to get the other deal inside the rear brake light ... sounds great
Old 11-28-04, 04:14 PM
GS Doug
Driver

Does anyone with XM installed in the breaklight also have tinted windows? What is the impact of window tint and the rear sunshade? Thanks.
Old 11-30-04, 04:25 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

I don't have specially tinted windows - just the normal as received ones from the factory. I have never tried the XM with the rear sunshade up. I will try it later today and post the results.

I drove the car back and forth from Atlanta to Charleston, SC and the reception was great all the way. I think I had one minor interruption when i went under a new overpass. Only lasted a couple of seconds.
Old 12-02-04, 01:13 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pics of this install please.
Old 12-02-04, 10:28 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

digital_b,

With respect to the install, what would you like to see pictures of? I didn't do it, my Lexus dealer did and nothing is visible.
Old 12-02-04, 10:31 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

I would like to see the physical location of the antenna so I may be able to have it done.
Old 12-02-04, 01:28 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

The antenna is completely inside the middle brake light enclosure and is not visible.
Old 12-03-04, 01:23 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

the antenna is not visible yet still works. wow. I hope my installer can do this.
Old 12-03-04, 04:12 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

In response to a previous post regarding the installation, I checked the reception with the rear power sunshade up and there was no reduction in the signal or clarity.
Old 12-03-04, 05:31 AM
GS Doug
Driver

Thanks. Maybe I'll have mine moved.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XM Radio