Buying a new LS430

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-04, 02:28 AM
MikeHunt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new LS430

Hey guys,

I was debating whether I should invest my money into fixing my current 95 LS400 (assuming the repairs will be over 1g) or into buying a new LS 430.

I would really like to keep my 95 around for sentimental value, but I’m worried that maintaining the LS400 might burn a hole in my wallet if more car problems come up after I fix it (You guys think that’ll happen?)

I’m also a very big fan of the face lifted 04-05 LS 430 and I’d like to purchase a luxury sedan now, but the S-Class Mercedes is coming out late ’05 as an ’06 model i'm sure the next generation LS 430 will soon follow (LS 500?).

I would like a car that has in within the first years of the new body style (like the RX 330 or the ES 330), which of the following options would you choose and why?

a) Repair the LS 400 and wait for new S-Class/Lexus (LS 500?)
b) Don’t repair the LS 400 and buy a RX 330
c) Don’t repair the LS 400 and buy an ES 330
d) Don’t repair the LS 400 and buy a LS 430

I would appreciate any feed back.

Regards,
Michael
Old 09-06-04, 04:15 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 414 Likes on 282 Posts

Forget sentimentality. A car can't love you back. It's metal and plastic and wood and leather and it depreciates and deteroriates. At some point it will cost more to keep than it's worth. I can't tell if you are there yet but it sounds like you believe so.

I vote for buying a new LS. Once you have the king of the road, you'll always feel cheated with less. Mercedes is not the answer. I owned 7 of them. You'll love it at first but hate the experience of visiting the dealer every month for warranty repairs and out-of-pocket repairs once the warranty expires (it sounds like you keep a car a long time). Another option that you haven't mentioned is buying a good newer used LS for about half the cost of a new car. Since you don't seem to have a problem keeping a car for many years I doubt that you'd be bothered by finding one of the many good 2-4 year old LS vehicles and driving it another 6-8 years.

That is my comment on the matter. And trust me, if you DO go Mercedes, you'll be back to Lexus at some point.
Old 09-06-04, 07:41 AM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default Stay with Lexus

Don't even think of MB--you'll be sorry!
You shouldn't even think of another make of car. Your current car has given almost 10 years of reliable service so it would be heretical to change brands since you have had such good service out of your present Lexus.
I own two (2) Lexii(sc430 & LS430Ultra) and the only time I have been to the service dept. is for routine maintenance. I wouldn't even consider anything but Lexus.
I respectfully disagree with the previous post, for this reason. I too own cars for long periods of time. I once had a Toyota Cressida for 19 years. I digress, if you plan to keep a car for many years I find that it's best to buy a new one and then keep it forever. Afterall, a car is a depreciating asset and the best way to amortize your losses is over many years. That is my humble opinion.
Best of luck on your choice of automobiles and many happy miles.
Ron
Old 09-06-04, 09:12 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

I prefer new too, but from a completely financial perspective, the MOST COST EFFICIENT way to own vehicles is to buy them 2-3 years old THEN keep them until the wheels fall off as you do.
Old 09-06-04, 03:08 PM
MikeHunt
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your replies, I greatly appreciate the feed back.

I'm gonna have my car checked out by 2 more shops, if they quote me more than $1,500 for the repairs then i'm definately going for a new car.

I've read a couple posts already, it looks like a guy on the CL board recently purchased an UL 430 for roughly 70k out the door (Prices are from nor cal).

I'm probably going to go for a near base model LS 430 w/navi. The base model for the LS is 56,300 (i'm hoping to pay a few grand under invoice) but with the options that i'm adding, would it be reaistic to get the car I want for 58k out the door (So. Cal)?
Old 09-06-04, 03:16 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

The car you want is known as having the "Modern Luxury" package. Around $61000 sticker. I bot the exact car last December for about 3 grand off that. You should be able to do a lot better on an '04. If you want an '05, however, my guess is that it will take about 2 months or so before dealers start dealing. But you are in the ballpark pricewise.
Old 09-06-04, 05:29 PM
MikeHunt
Driver School Candidate

Cool, thanks for the info Dar yl. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.
Old 09-07-04, 01:47 PM
houstonnw
Rookie

I just went through exactly the same thought process. I had a 1993 GS300 that needed some work and I was afraid would need some very expensive repairs soon. No real reason, just a "feeling".

So I bought a 2004 LS430 a few months ago.

Regarding the redesign, I just won't go drive the 2006/2007 LS. It worked for me when the GS400 came out in '97 or so.
Old 09-07-04, 01:48 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

It SOUNDS like the next generation LS will move up the money ladder and they are repositioning the new upcoming GS in the current slot. Which means I'll probably keep my LS longer than otherwise. That may end up being a good thing.
Old 09-07-04, 01:58 PM
MikeHunt
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally posted by houstonnw
I just went through exactly the same thought process. I had a 1993 GS300 that needed some work and I was afraid would need some very expensive repairs soon. No real reason, just a "feeling".

So I bought a 2004 LS430 a few months ago.

Regarding the redesign, I just won't go drive the 2006/2007 LS. It worked for me when the GS400 came out in '97 or so.
Houstonnw,

I like your idea about not driving the 06/07 LS.

Originally posted by daryll40
It SOUNDS like the next generation LS will move up the money ladder and they are repositioning the new upcoming GS in the current slot. Which means I'll probably keep my LS longer than otherwise. That may end up being a good thing.
Daryll40,

I was thinking the same thing, maybe I'll buy ES 330 now and buy the new LS in 08/09.

You guys have any thoughts on the new ES 330? I really like the way it drives, but there are a lot of great cars around the 35k price range. I like the sharp lines on the Acura TL (too bad it's fwd - isnt the ES 330 rwd?). But I also like the RX 330 (The high seating position makes me feel like a pilot).
Old 09-07-04, 02:08 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

The Acura is a kiddie car compared to the ES in my humble opinion. Some people like the lower, sleeker "Honda Accord" type layout, but I prefer the ES's "more high-end luxury" layout.
Old 09-07-04, 03:03 PM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Originally posted by MikeHunt
Houstonnw,

I like your idea about not driving the 06/07 LS.

Daryll40,

I was thinking the same thing, maybe I'll buy ES 330 now and buy the new LS in 08/09.

You guys have any thoughts on the new ES 330? I really like the way it drives, but there are a lot of great cars around the 35k price range. I like the sharp lines on the Acura TL (too bad it's fwd - isnt the ES 330 rwd?). But I also like the RX 330 (The high seating position makes me feel like a pilot).
Both the ES and TL are fwd.
IMHO, the ES has a more classy look and the TL has some boy racer thing going on

My friends have both ES and TL.. I've driven both cars on back to back occasions, when I was shopping for
my car a month ago.
ES = mini LS430, comfy, luxurious and quiet.
TL = a bit more involving than the ES, but not as comfortable.

The interior of the TL is quite impressive, more gadgets for your buck. The fit and finish is very good, even though the material is not up to Lexus standard.

ES has a more conventional but very well laid out interior, its really is a personal prefrence.

Hope it help, and good luck on your purchase!
Old 09-08-04, 08:39 AM
cschow
Rookie

Originally posted by houstonnw
Regarding the redesign, I just won't go drive the 2006/2007 LS. [/B]
I'm trying to understand why one would disregard the impending redesign. Hasn't Lexus stated that they wanted the new LS to make as much of an impact on the car market as the original 1990 LS? The original LS turned the entire luxury car market upside down. If Lexus manages to achieve what they stated, it seems to me the prices of any LS430, whether 2001-2003 or 2004+ will take a huge hit when the redesign comes out. I'm thinking maybe a 3-year lease on a new LS might make sense if the residuals are not already pushed down by the impending redesign. A new purchase may become quite expensive.
Old 09-08-04, 10:51 AM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Default LS redesign

I'm quite happy, no thrilled, with my decision to purchase an '04 LS instead of lease it even with a pending redesign coming. Like others, my '98 GS was getting a little long in the tooth and potential repairs would be required that I didn't want to deal with. Plus, I was ready to move up in luxury to an LS and expect to keep it 6-8 years at least. The timing works for me as I expect to keep it a while versus trading or selling in just a couple of years for the redesign. Now if the redesign is really ground breaking and priced in my range, then all bets could be renegotiated at that time of course.

Based on what I have seen with the RL redesign, I am glad I didn't wait a few more months till it was introduced by Acura just to get AWD. My RWD's with snow tires have done just fine for me in snow so far.
Old 09-08-04, 11:09 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Prices might take a hit but might not. It's not a "given" when model changes. If Lexus goes upscale in price, the current bodystyle might actually retain EVEN MORE of it's value. That's what happened when Mercedes did that in 1992. Also, when Mercedes came out with the current bodystyle "S" Class, the prior bodystyle also did well in resale as compared to normal. Yet when Lexus came out with the 2001 LS430, the prior late model years LS400 cars lost a little MORE than usual because the price of the new car was about the same but the car was much improved, newer, etc.

My best guess is that an '04 LS430 will be worth about 60% in 3 years, new model or not. Maybe the '05 or '06 cars (the current bodystyle) will take more of a hit, but a 3 year old car is already about half way depreciated.

Quick Reply: Buying a new LS430