LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Creaking window seals

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 08:59 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Creaking window seals

Has anyone experienced creaking of the front window seals while driving over uneven pavement, driveways or speed bumps when the body flexes?

My 430 just started doing this badly, when I lower both windows a tad bit, the creaking goes away.

I tried spraying silicone in the rubber channels, but that didn’t help. I really don’t want to have to replace the seals, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-07-24, 03:00 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 205 Posts

Most swear by Shin-Etsu grease. Spray stuff is too liquid to be any use.
The following users liked this post:
biacs (05-07-24)
Old 05-07-24, 05:36 AM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Ok I’ll give that a try or maybe some simple silicone grease?
Old 05-07-24, 09:59 AM
biacs
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBoomer
Most swear by Shin-Etsu grease. Spray stuff is too liquid to be any use.
use this grease , WEAR RUBBER GLOVES and work into the seals.

Old 05-07-24, 09:23 PM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts

yes, i find that mine creaks MORE after i clean / wipe down the seals. I've been using 303 protectant, and it does a good job
CA2WALS430 (05-13-24)
Old 05-07-24, 11:39 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by biacs
use this grease , WEAR RUBBER GLOVES and work into the seals.

Ok, I ordered a tube, do I simply just stuff the grease inside the rubber seals or gentle apply it inside of it?

My concern is that the grease is going to make a mess and get the window all greasy and smear it. Hopefully this will work.
Old 05-07-24, 11:45 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by weldthedif
yes, i find that mine creaks MORE after i clean / wipe down the seals. I've been using 303 protectant, and it does a good job
I heard of 303, it’s good stuff. The thing is, I never wiped down the seals and I’m having this problem. I believe the seals decided to shrink a tad bit recently to annoy me, lol.
Old 05-08-24, 05:09 AM
biacs
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I noticed you had sprayed with silicone, the rubber needs to be clean and soft to seal. Maybe its worthwhile to get hot soapy water to get it de-squeaked then treat with shin etsu.

-if the rubber seals are DRIED - you can use AT- 205 to rejuvenate the rubber then use shin etsu.
Honestly I had just replaced a couple of the seals on my old 430 where they crack along the top, from being pushed against when you close the door.
FlexnLexus (05-08-24)
Old 05-08-24, 10:11 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by biacs
I noticed you had sprayed with silicone, the rubber needs to be clean and soft to seal. Maybe its worthwhile to get hot soapy water to get it de-squeaked then treat with shin etsu.

-if the rubber seals are DRIED - you can use AT- 205 to rejuvenate the rubber then use shin etsu.
Honestly I had just replaced a couple of the seals on my old 430 where they crack along the top, from being pushed against when you close the door.

The grease should be here by tomorrow, I’m going to give it shot and see what happens. I’ll make sure to clean the inside of the seals prior to applying it.
LatinLS430 (05-09-24)
Old 05-10-24, 06:11 PM
Yamae

Received 870 Likes on 657 Posts

I use this grease Shin-Etsu G-40H. This works great but I make it a rule to apply it just a little bit for fear of the siloxane problem. The problem is explained here.

As is written, "After gasification from silicon materials, siloxane decompose to SiO2 (silica) and adheres to the contact points of electrical components such as motors, relays, switches, and other electrical parts, used in automobiles, " you have to be careful for electrical contacts to fail.

Old 05-10-24, 11:39 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yamae
I use this grease Shin-Etsu G-40H. This works great but I make it a rule to apply it just a little bit for fear of the siloxane problem. The problem is explained here.

As is written, "After gasification from silicon materials, siloxane decompose to SiO2 (silica) and adheres to the contact points of electrical components such as motors, relays, switches, and other electrical parts, used in automobiles, " you have to be careful for electrical contacts to fail.

That’s the exact one that I used today on the seals. Well it didn’t fix the problem as the windows still creak.

But when I lower it slightly, the creaking goes away, this leads me to believe that no amount of grease or lubricant will reverse the rubber shrinkage which is causing the slight movement of the door glass.

I’m not going to worry about at the moment since I can simply lower the window, and turn up the music and the problem is solved😁. When I can, I’ll just order new seals, have it installed, and call it a day.
Old 05-12-24, 05:25 PM
HiPatrick
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't even find this Shin-Etsu grease locally anymore (Australia). I bought it once many years ago and had it shipped from Korea, which cost a fair bit and plus it took like 2-3 months just to arrive.. so Shin-Etsu is off the cards for me, and in that case I just use regular Wurth Silicone Spray. The creek sound usually comes from the very top of the strip, that very thin strip that is prone to ripping. In fact it could even be missing, like it is on my left side rear door.
Old 05-13-24, 10:47 AM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts

I get the creaking seals, especially after cleaning like someone mentioned. No leaks in the windows or wind noise, so for all the little things that bother me, this doesn't seem to.

@HiPatrick , let us know how it goes.
Old 05-15-24, 11:56 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 196 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by FlexnLexus
Ok, I ordered a tube, do I simply just stuff the grease inside the rubber seals or gentle apply it inside of it?

My concern is that the grease is going to make a mess and get the window all greasy and smear it. Hopefully this will work.
I've done this a couple of times with the Shin-Etsu grease, but I never put it anywhere that actually contacts the window glass.

I only greased the door track and seal shown below all the way around. It wasn't my window itself that was causing the issue. I think the door seals are tighter with the window rolled up and the contact with the door frame was actually making the creaking noise.

Is this what you were greasing?

Last edited by Bob04; 05-15-24 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-15-24, 12:58 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 196 Likes on 145 Posts

Or were you greasing this? Or both?

Quick Reply: Creaking window seals