LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ls430 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-24, 05:13 PM
zaydi
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls430 not starting

Hello I have a problem with my 2005 ls430 I recently changed the battery for a new one and installed it but my car wouldn’t start on. I changed the alternator fuse because that was blown and it got my car being able to be in accessory mode. However that did not solve the issue to why it isn’t starting so then I changed the starter relay fuse because it looked burnt up. That also did not solve the issue. Does anyone know what this might be? I have beliefs it could be the starter but I hope it isn’t. Help would be appreciated thank you
Old 05-02-24, 05:16 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Have you tried using jumper cables to start it?
Old 05-02-24, 05:17 PM
zaydi
10th Gear

Originally Posted by LatinLS430
Have you tried using jumper cables to start it?
yes I tried even with the old battery
Old 05-02-24, 05:18 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by zaydi
Cables are nice and tight? Is there a clicking sound when you try to start it?
Old 05-02-24, 05:20 PM
zaydi
10th Gear

Originally Posted by LatinLS430
Cables are nice and tight?
yep They are
Old 05-02-24, 06:28 PM
Yamae

Received 868 Likes on 655 Posts

Judging from the open fuse of the alternator, you must had the reversed connection. Have you checked other fuses?

The reversed connection kills not only the alternator fuse but also other polarity sensitive circuit's fuses. Sometimes reverse connection damages electronics circuits as is warned here saying "Hooking the jumper cables up backwards can create disastrous results⁠."

The old style jumper cable often cause problems explained here due to the surge voltage and we'd better to use a jumper cable with surge suppress devices.
Old 05-02-24, 06:35 PM
zaydi
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Yamae
Judging from the open fuse of the alternator, you must had the reversed connection. Have you checked other fuses?

The reversed connection kills not only the alternator fuse but also other polarity sensitive circuit's fuses. Sometimes reverse connection damages electronics circuits as is warned here saying "Hooking the jumper cables up backwards can create disastrous results⁠."

The old style jumper cable often cause problems explained here due to the surge voltage and we'd better to use a jumper cable with surge suppress devices.
how can I tell which circuits are damaged?
Old 05-02-24, 06:38 PM
zaydi
10th Gear

how can I tell which circuits are damaged?
friend of mine told me it might be both of my crank pos sensors and I suspect that might be true because I do have sluggish throttle response and one time it took a second to start and crank. Also what way do you put the alt fuse in?
Old 05-02-24, 07:24 PM
Yamae

I need to confirm what you have done to answer your question. Depending on your answer my answer varies.
Did you have the mistake connecting + - reversed?
Have you checked all fuses?
Did your friend check the waveform of the sensor?
Old 05-02-24, 07:54 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts

Also, can you give us more information on the "no start" condition?

When you turn the key, does the engine crank, but not start, or do you just get a clicking sound, or does it do nothing at all?
Old 05-03-24, 06:21 PM
zaydi
10th Gear

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
Also, can you give us more information on the "no start" condition?

When you turn the key, does the engine crank, but not start, or do you just get a clicking sound, or does it do nothing at all?
the car is able to go into accessory mode but the engine does not crank but makes the clicking sound.
Old 05-03-24, 06:23 PM
zaydi
10th Gear

I need to confirm what you have done to answer your question. Depending on your answer my answer varies.
Did you have the mistake connecting + - reversed?
Have you checked all fuses?
Did your friend check the waveform of the sensor?
i did not have + - reversed, i checked all fuses and they all look perfectly normal other than the starter relay and alternator fuse that i had to replace. My friend did not check the waveform sensors. I had a mobile mechanic come in today and tell me that it’s the engine actuator and starter.
Old 05-03-24, 06:54 PM
Yamae

i did not have + - reversed, i checked all fuses and they all look perfectly normal other than the starter relay and alternator fuse that i had to replace. My friend did not check the waveform sensors. I had a mobile mechanic come in today and tell me that it’s the engine actuator and starter.
So you already had a mobile mechanic came in and he diagnosed and found failed parts. I'll wait for your update. But it is strange to me that the alternator fuse was open just doing the jump starting and change the battery. It usually opens when the polarity is reversed or the +B terminal / the thick cable of the alternator is grounded.
Old 05-03-24, 06:57 PM
zaydi
10th Gear

So you already had a mobile mechanic came in and he diagnosed and found failed parts. I'll wait for your update. But it is strange to me that the alternator fuse was open just doing the jump starting and change the battery. It usually opens when the polarity is reversed or the +B terminal / the thick cable of the alternator is grounded.
yes but the problem is is that I don’t think it’s the starter and also engine actuator? I couldn’t find anything of thst relating to an ls430, my other guess is the camshaft pos sensor. They tend to get dirt in them and mess things up that’s probably another reason why my acceleration is sluggish.
Old 05-04-24, 07:02 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

The circuit is straight forward and easy to diagnose with a voltmeter. You will notice camshaft sensor does not appear anywhere. Also the fuse you replaced if wasn't verified with an ohmmeter could have been good as that very rarely opens unless situation like above posts.

Quick Reply: Ls430 not starting