LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

P0011 and high idle whether cold/hot (1,400rpm+)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 12:22 AM
BBE4300
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default P0011 and high idle whether cold/hot (1,400rpm+)

Hi guys

sent my LS430 to do a starter, after i was left stranded in the parking lot at work when everyone was going home for the day.

So far, i had the workshop do the following;
  1. change starter
  2. change various plastic connector clips
  3. valve cover gaskets
  4. intake manifold gaskets
  5. change thermostat
  6. change water temp sensor
  7. not relating to the engine nor starter, i had 19" wheels installed, RS-R down springs fitted and a bunch of ball joints/lateral arms replaced.
This was about 5 months ago, and yes, the car is still in the shaded workshop until now as it has been plagued with this high idle even when the engine is warm and up to temps (that was why the mechanic went ahead and replaced the water temp sensor)

Scanned the OBD2 port (which in itself was shorted - fuse blown. one fuse later and it's working again - this might be my fault for trying to bridge certain ports to remove the CHECK VSC)

Before this, i had several codes pointing to a vacuum leak, O2 sensors etc. These have all since gone away as i have replaced the O2 sensors and ACIS VSV under the intake manifold.

I got P0011 - "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Advance or System (as per the OBD2 reader).

When driving, i noticed a slightly hard downshift - possibly due to the high idle or the ECU. so i went shopping for a new ECU.

I noticed the stock ECU was leaking at some of the capacitors, so i went ahead and got a new-to-me remapped ECU from Dubai (All4Swap remap). Dropped this into the car and noticed it started up and the idle began to reduce slightly. was so relieved, until the idle went back up high.

i did diy replace my 2 VVTI Solenoids prior to this as the old ones seemed to be weeping oil. So the mechanic tried reinstalling the original VVTI Solenoids - made no difference

Mechanic retraced his steps and took off the intake manifold 2x by now to have a look and he says nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Timing belt and water pump was done 3,000km before the starter died and had to be towed to the workshop. It was driving flawlessly before this. Oil was changed to 5w30 Mobil 1 ESP with Toyota Filter. Prior to this, i did a short oil change interval with some 15w40 Mobil Delvac to clean out the internals (internals had no varnish and looked clean when the mechanic did the valve cover gaskets)

Throttle body is clean, i have a spare unit on order, along with all camshaft/crankshaft/transmission sensors (OEM). I even ordered all vacuum hoses OEM.

anyone have any ideas what else to check? I have asked the workshop to try and check BANK 1 (right side, when looking directly at the engine from the front of the car)

Leaking Caps

ECU that came with the car

Intake Manifold off

Throttle Body

Internals when doing Valve Cover Gaskets

In for alignment

the only code i got.
Old 05-01-24, 08:27 AM
white_lx
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1. You can test the VVTi control with Techstream or a scanner. That will exclude any electrical/sensor issues. See if the engine stumbles/stalls if the settings are changed. Also check all other sensor data when you use the scanner: coolant temp, rpm, tps etc.
2. You used a 15W40 oil for a brief moment. Any chance the thicker oil (or cleaning action of the oil) plugged the internal engine screens that feed the VVTi solenoids?
3. VVTi timing is determined by the VVTi sensors near the middle of the valve covers. Any chance the wiring got damaged when the valve covers were off? There is a L&R sensor. (The CAM sensor at the front can not measure VVTi action.)
Old 05-01-24, 08:17 PM
BBE4300
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white_lx
1. You can test the VVTi control with Techstream or a scanner. That will exclude any electrical/sensor issues. See if the engine stumbles/stalls if the settings are changed. Also check all other sensor data when you use the scanner: coolant temp, rpm, tps etc.
2. You used a 15W40 oil for a brief moment. Any chance the thicker oil (or cleaning action of the oil) plugged the internal engine screens that feed the VVTi solenoids?
3. VVTi timing is determined by the VVTi sensors near the middle of the valve covers. Any chance the wiring got damaged when the valve covers were off? There is a L&R sensor. (The CAM sensor at the front can not measure VVTi action.)
Hi, thanks for the reply

1. i did check the feature out for both banks, when testing the VVTI Solenoids, the engine does become extremely rough until i stop the test.
2. does the 6 speed have internal vvti solenoid screens? i read that they don't but i am not sure.
3. I should try to ask the mechanic to check the wiring. he is sure it is fine but i will get him to check (he was sure my obd2 fuse was fine as well, yet in the end he found out the fuse was shorted and has since changed it. lol)
Old 05-01-24, 09:01 PM
Yamae

Received 866 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by BBE4300
2. does the 6 speed have internal vvti solenoid screens? i read that they don't but i am not sure.
There is a screen. The photo of the link shows the screen for a LS400's 1UZ-FE engine but the 3UZ-FE engine has a similar one. It is not easy to access though.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9170392