LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

customization parameters issues and confusuion...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 07:05 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Question customization parameters issues and confusuion...

okay, so i have a 95, a 99, and a 2000.

i know 95 doesn't really have anything but the 99 and 00 do.

my 99 has the DRLs turned off, and speed-sensing auto-lock. -i was really surprised with the auto lock as when i first drove it, soon as i hit 15 mph all the doors locked, which i never knew was a thing in these cars! it also has the feature where it cuts the headlights when the drivers door opens like the older models, which is one of my favorite features that seemed to have gone away with the 98-00s as well as everything that followed. when i went through TIS i discovered a whole slew of dealer-only Techstream features for these cars, and aside from the auto-window down feature, everything was turned off on my 2000.

when i woke these features up on my 2000, it opened a Pandora box of gremlins..

i pulled it into the bay, grabbed a techstream computer, hooked er up and started turning stuff on. apparently, speed-sensing auto lock wasn't an option in Y2K, which kinda sucked cause i really wanted that. however, auto-lock/unlock when shifting from Park to Drive was so i activated that. turning off the DRLs wasn't an option in the 2000 either sadly. boohoo, but i was able to get the headlight kill from opening the driver door which was huge! i also changed the chime tone for the door which i didn't know was a thing, as well as a moonroof open warning chime which i didnt know existed either, and also a full door unlock from a single click from the key fob.

pulled it out of the tech bay and went about my day, but then it happened... all hell broke loose.

first i couldn't lock my doors at all. then the doors started unlocking themselves, then the alarm started going off for no reason, then the lock from P to D, locked me in the car and wouldnt let me out!!! all kinds of weird glitches. i was like.. WTF!
looks like that stuff was shut off for a reason, or was it just an old car used to working a certain way for so many years, that its ecu-brain got scrambled! i pulled it back into the bay, reset everything back to where it was, and it wasn't going back. ended up having to do a hard reset, aka battery pull, touch terminals together for about 15 mins, then restart etc. lucky after that, the car went back to where it was supposed to be.

what the hell happened? why did the car freak out? and why isn't speed sensing auto lock optional in a 2000 but is in a 99?!

well, im starting to think my 99 could be a Canadian spec car, as the climate controls and temperature show up in Celsius and not Fahrenheit, the cluster was replaced at some point so it may have been KM to MPH, and apparently, Canadian cars had the DRL off and speed sensing auto lock option. i pulled the history on the 99 and it WAS originally sold here in Florida at JM Lexus, and has been in Florida its whole life. i dont get it....
Old 12-14-18, 02:36 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

well you can know for sure if it's canadian spec or not since US spec cars have the designation UCF20L-AEAGKA (on the info label in the drivers door jam)

does it have headlight washers or anything like that? reading this definitely reaffirms my notion that this car just likes to be left alone lol, pretty much any time anything has ever acted up on my car it's been because i went and tinkered with something
Old 05-03-19, 12:04 AM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you ever get this figured out? What caused some of the other issues?
Old 05-03-19, 05:54 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNAZ
Did you ever get this figured out? What caused some of the other issues?
took a few weeks but the car stopped bugging out. only one problem now but its intermittent. once unlocking car or opening the door when unlocked, the car will refuse to lock itself and the alarm goes crazy and only turns off if the key is put in the ignition. this wont go away no matter what i do. bottom line dont mess with custom parameters on a car this old thats set in its ways and used to doing something the same way for so long. it will totally bug out. i wont touch them in my 99.
Old 05-03-19, 08:38 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

with all due respect, is it possible you just weren't doing things right lol