LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

94 Wireless Remote replacement Key and cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 06:39 AM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 94 Wireless Remote replacement Key and cylinder

So my 1994 has stock keyless entry. At least I'm about 99% sure since it has the remote key disable switch on the dash. But I am having a very difficult time finding replacement keys. Also, the RH side door lock was damaged and needs a replacement cylinder. I've been searching and it's starting to look like I'll need to go to the dealership.
Old 10-31-18, 09:19 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyO78
So my 1994 has stock keyless entry. At least I'm about 99% sure since it has the remote key disable switch on the dash. But I am having a very difficult time finding replacement keys. Also, the RH side door lock was damaged and needs a replacement cylinder. I've been searching and it's starting to look like I'll need to go to the dealership.
go to a salvage yard and buy one for your door, take your glove lock out and carry both to a locksmith and have him rekey the door, put them and it should be done
Old 10-31-18, 09:36 AM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I can make you another key. I just need your key code. The door lock has been discontinued by Lexus. You'll need to search wrecking yards for a used on like billydpowe mentioned.
Old 10-31-18, 09:45 AM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZCarKeys
I can make you another key. I just need your key code. The door lock has been discontinued by Lexus. You'll need to search wrecking yards for a used on like billydpowe mentioned.
Can you rekey cylinders as well? What about programming the wireless remote?
Old 10-31-18, 10:33 AM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

Can you rekey cylinders as well? What about programming the wireless remote?
Yes, I can rekey the locks. The keys I have are non-remote. The keyless entry system for your YMM is a bit of a pain. To my knowledge, having an aftermarket system installed is the best option. Finding a viable solution is on my R&D list, but the older those vehicles get, the less of them that are on the road so I'm not sure how much demand exists for them.
Old 10-31-18, 01:08 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

The keyless entry for 1990-1994 LS models is indeed quite primitive and obscure in comparison to modern systems. I'm still trying to figure it out myself, and it seems different transmitters were used during different years, until they became standardized to the fob in 1995.

An aftermarket system like this is something I'm thinking about:
Old 10-31-18, 01:16 PM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

That should work well. It's similar to the very system I am looking into, only the wiring is not plug and play. At $85, their product is cheaper than our solution would be as well.
Old 10-31-18, 02:31 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

You're giving me a heckin disappoint! I really want to get the correct remote keys! Are we saying it's impossible, or just extremely difficult?

My 91 has at one of its remote keys. It's really kinda funny looking. I thought it had a built in light before I really looked. Does that make it any easier to source another remote key?

And did I read that it was barely functional, like one had to be right at the door to use it?

EZCarKeys, you say you have a plug-and-play type option? Do you have that in remote start? What kinda costs are we talking?
Old 10-31-18, 04:36 PM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

You're giving me a heckin disappoint! I really want to get the correct remote keys! Are we saying it's impossible, or just extremely difficult?

My 91 has at one of its remote keys. It's really kinda funny looking. I thought it had a built in light before I really looked. Does that make it any easier to source another remote key?

And did I read that it was barely functional, like one had to be right at the door to use it?

EZCarKeys, you say you have a plug-and-play type option? Do you have that in remote start? What kinda costs are we talking?
Sorry? From Lexus, the keyless entry module and keys/remote are married at the time of manufacture. I do not know of a way to add a remote to an OEM module. You'd have to check with a dealer to see if there are OEM module/key sets still available. They are usually very pricey if they're still made. Another option may be to see if a wrecking yard has a vehicle with the keys still, then make sure to get the matched keys and passenger door lock while you're at it. The older the vehicle gets, the more difficult it is to source OEM parts.

I have no plug&play option at this time. The maker of video you posted appears to offer one. I was only commenting that it's buried in R&D for us because of the limited number of these vehicles on the road compared to other projects.
Old 10-31-18, 05:18 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

It's more or less not possible. If you want more remote keys, you'll need to buy them new with the chip, which is expensive, and it has to be the exact one that's compatible (FCC changed the IDs of the keys between some years). Your old key will be rendered useless, if you get new keys to replace it.

Since you have the remote key now, I would just stick with that one.

Originally Posted by EZCarKeys
I have no plug&play option at this time. The maker of video you posted appears to offer one. I was only commenting that it's buried in R&D for us because of the limited number of these vehicles on the road compared to other projects.
If your company comes out with a keyless system for the LS/ES/GS, let us know
Old 10-31-18, 08:10 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Damn. The 91 has one of its wireless keys, but I honestly haven't tested it.

So it appears I'm going to have to call a dealership about it. Because I'm finding keys, but if it's a system that has to be married all at once, then I'm not sure if buying just a key is going to work. But it looks like Butler South Atlanta Lexus has them for sale.
Old 10-31-18, 10:09 PM
PhilipMidd
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My 91 has at one of its remote keys. It's really kinda funny looking. I thought it had a built in light before I really looked.
Funny, I thought the same thing when I first looked at my key. Yours a Single button key as well?
Not sure what year they went to 3 button.
Finding keys and locks in Australia at a reasonable price is turning into a PITA. (I gotta replace a damaged drivers side lock - thanks to a would be thief - and my alarm/keyless entry does not work anyway).
Looks more and more like I'm going to get an after market Keyless entry alarm and 3D print a new key case so I can put the original key and the new Alarm FOB together. Should be possible even if it does turn out a little larger.
Old 10-31-18, 10:30 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMidd
Looks more and more like I'm going to get an after market Keyless entry alarm and 3D print a new key case so I can put the original key and the new Alarm FOB together. Should be possible even if it does turn out a little larger.
Yes! It is a single button!
That's too bad. I'm glad that the cylinders can be rekeyed tho. That might save me quite a bit. I'm going to call a local dealership and then that one Butler, since they seem to be a parts warehouse. Maybe they'll cut me a deal on a big lot of parts.

Definitely let me know if that 3D printing works out, because I have an alarm I can install. I'd really like a flip key as well.
Old 10-31-18, 11:45 PM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I have right hand side key cylinder. I can sell you mine if you want.
Old 10-31-18, 11:49 PM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

If this is what you need, let me know. But I don't have key to it. This came out of 94 ls400.

Quick Reply: 94 Wireless Remote replacement Key and cylinder