LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1990 to 1994 Headliner removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-18, 06:01 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 1990 to 1994 Headliner removal

When I got my 94 the sunroof was about halfway open and sealed with duct tape and plastic sheeting. I pulled all that nonsense off and it closed with no noticeable issues other then being slow. I hosed it down while watching for leaks and wetness on the headliner and found nothing. After a good couple of rainy days I find the headliner wet and the sunroof cover soaked. I looked for info and found this post at LOC:
https://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/77204-wet-headliner/
Lots of good info, but it said I had to remove the rear seats! Um, no thanks. So with the help of an exploded view, I dug in and removed my headliner in about an hour without having to do any more than pulling the trim away.

Here's the instructions:

1) remove the 3 courtesy handles above the passenger seating; there is no handle at the driver's seat. The end covers CAREFULLY pop off with a flat screwdriver or trim tool. Be careful because each cap has a tab on the bottom side. Each hand has 2 screws.

2) Pull the trim away from the headliner all the way around. Under the trim on each side there are 3 tabs on the liner with plastic buttons pushed into them. These lift out easily with a flathead or trim bar.

3) the headliner easily pulls away from the sides of the sunroof opening. The back edge of the opening is a little more difficult. It needs to be pulled towards the front of the vehicle.

4) There are metal clips attached to plastic pegs at the rear glass. There is also velcro pads in the middle between the rear glass and sunroof. All of these had failed on my headliner, likely due to the water weight. It's also possible those will fail during any attempt at removal. I will be looking for a good method of gluing them back in place.

5) At this point the rear headliner should be completely free. Remove it by carefully working the sides out from under the loose trim and then pull the liner towards the back and out from under the front half of the liner. Remove through rear door.

IF YOU DON'T NEED TO REMOVE THE FRONT SECTION, STOP HERE!

6) the front portion of headliner is held up by the light, mirror, and screws hidden under the trim. Start by carefully prying the lenses off the courtesy lights. There are 3 screws to be removed.

7) Remove rear view mirror and center visor. They come right off by pulling the mirror straight towards the back of the car. There are 2 screws on the mount. Remove them and the mount. The center visor CAN be pried away from the mirror, but it's easier to remove the whole mirror first.

8) There is 1 screw in each sun visor clip. Remove the screw and the clip has a plastic pin that pulls out. Remove them on both sides.

9) Under the trim on both pillars are 2 screws in a metal plate. Remove them.

10) the front headliner is now free from the car. Push it forward and down to separate the front lip. My headliner was kinda stuck to the roof where the rearview mirror mounting was attached, but slow even force got it to come away and out of the front lip. There are 2 electrical connectors attached under the headliner for the lighted mirrors. These are easier to remove with the headliner detached. Mine were orange, so they shouldn't be hard to spot. Finish sliding the liner down and towards the front and it's all off!

YOU'RE ALL DONE! Now set those liners in the sun to dry! Perhaps on the TDI you lost interest in!

Last edited by JonnyO78; 10-09-18 at 06:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
213374U (10-10-18)
Old 10-11-18, 07:00 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

Thank you very much for the tutorial!

Could you provide some more detail on how you removed or how you will reinstall the mirror with the center sun visor? I am planning to change mine out since the tinting feature has failed.
JonnyO78 (10-12-18)
Old 10-12-18, 04:19 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Could you provide some more detail on how you removed or how you will reinstall the mirror with the center sun visor? I am planning to change mine out since the tinting feature has failed.
You pull it towards you! Really. Just pops right off. The mirror on this 94 is flawless! I wish the mount wasn't all chipped up and corroded. I actually re-mounted mine back to the roof without replacing the headliner. There's 2 screws on the mount and I found it easiest to hold the mount in place on the mirror and alternate between the screws until it was snug. It also helps to remove the little plastic cover that hides the mirror wire and push the wire aside.

Since you are wanting to replace the physical mirror, I'm not sure if you'll have to buy an entire assembly or if you can get just the glass and frame. I'm unsure of how to remove the frame from the mount, but it looks as though it should pull apart.
CELSI0R (10-13-18)
Old 10-13-18, 02:51 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Thanks JonnyO78, I already purchased an entire mirror assembly with the center visor included, very similar to this one from Ebay:

The only difference is, the mirror I got is from a 90-92, unlike the 93-94 one pictured. 93-94 had a fabric center visor, while 90-92 had vinyl.

When I get the chance, I'm going to replace the entire part and swap over the visor, because mine is nicer. I don't think it is easy to replace the glass, but I may open up my original part once it's off the car to see how it's built.

EDIT: Just got back to my computer with the repair manual and found this in the files:

Your pictures help me a lot to visualize this. Thanks!!

Last edited by CELSI0R; 10-13-18 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Posted instructions from Repair Manual
Old 10-13-18, 03:20 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

I don't think the mount is different, but there is a variation in the center visor part.

On the 93-94 the center visor has a metal bracket that fits over the mirror bracket while the 90-92 seems to only have plastic clips. Also, my 94 center visor DID NOT have any wires attached to it. In fact, I don't think my 94 had any sort of button on the mirror either! Are you SURE that's a 93-94 LS mirror? I'll get pics of mine after work and post them for you. HELL I'LL PULL THE MIRROR OFF MY 91 AS WELL!
Old 10-13-18, 03:23 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by JonnyO78
On the 93-94 the center visor has a metal bracket that fits over the mirror bracket while the 90-92 seems to only have plastic clips. Also, my 94 center visor DID NOT have any wires attached to it. In fact, I don't think my 94 had any sort of button on the mirror either! Are you SURE that's a 93-94 LS mirror? I'll get pics of mine after work and post them for you. HELL I'LL PULL THE MIRROR OFF MY 91 AS WELL!
Haha.

I just realized the mount is the same, after reviewing the repair manual. Also yes, the mirror I got the photo from (above) is from a 1993 LS. Don't worry about taking it off of your 1991 - I got it now