What are the best aftermarket engine and transmission mounts? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000)
What are the best aftermarket engine and transmission mounts? >

What are the best aftermarket engine and transmission mounts?

Notices
LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What are the best aftermarket engine and transmission mounts?

Old 09-24-18, 06:18 PM
  #1  
AlaskanLS
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Alaska
Posts: 157
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default What are the best aftermarket engine and transmission mounts?

Hello everyone!
I have got 91 LS400 and I believe it's engine mounts are bad, once in a while it makes thud noise on cranking the engine. I don't want to burn money on OEM mounts that are138 dollars each for engine and 75 dollars for transmission without shipping fee. I checked out RockAuto's database and I found that Beck/Arnley engine mounts are pretty decent looking but I am wondering if those are good and what brand of aftermarket transmission mounts will be good for my car?
I also checked eBay and found decent looking set of 3 mounts for 40 bucks, has anyone used eBay's mounts are those good?
AlaskanLS is offline  
Old 09-24-18, 07:19 PM
  #2  
YODAONE
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: CALIFORNIA
Posts: 1,141
Thanks: 0
Thanked 96 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AlaskanLS View Post
Hello everyone!
I have got 91 LS400 and I believe it's engine mounts are bad, once in a while it makes thud noise on cranking the engine. I don't want to burn money on OEM mounts that are138 dollars each for engine and 75 dollars for transmission without shipping fee. I checked out RockAuto's database and I found that Beck/Arnley engine mounts are pretty decent looking but I am wondering if those are good and what brand of aftermarket transmission mounts will be good for my car?
I also checked eBay and found decent looking set of 3 mounts for 40 bucks, has anyone used eBay's mounts are those good?
Do not use aftermarket engine - transmission mounts.

See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/871258-ls400-engine-mount-internal-view.html

You get what you pay for...
YODAONE is offline  
Old 09-24-18, 07:25 PM
  #3  
Losiracer2
Lead Lap
 
Losiracer2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ to Canton, MI
Posts: 707
Thanked 59 Times in 55 Posts
Default

aftermarket mounts are crap. Don't even waste your time.
Losiracer2 is offline  
Old 09-24-18, 10:18 PM
  #4  
AlaskanLS
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Alaska
Posts: 157
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Okay well, after careful consideration. I came to the conclusion that I will buy OEM transmission mount and aftermarket engine mounts. I believe all mounts are rubber made. Toyota's claim of liquid filled mount is just a myth. I have never seen any Lexus mounts leaked liquid after breaking in half. Since Toyota spent a billion dollars on research before introducing Lexus, will most defiantly try to convince it's buyers to buy OEM parts so they can catch up on the profit, but mounts are just rubber made and it has no mechanical or electrical parts inside, so i think aftermarket won't be that bad to give it a try.
Spending almost 150 on just one engine mount for car that is 28 years old, isn't worth it's value.

Last edited by AlaskanLS; 09-24-18 at 11:32 PM.
AlaskanLS is offline  
Old 09-24-18, 11:25 PM
  #5  
spuds
Lexus Test Driver
 
spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SoCal mtns.
Posts: 823
Thanked 63 Times in 60 Posts
Default

OEM.
spuds is offline  
Old 09-24-18, 11:54 PM
  #6  
YODAONE
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: CALIFORNIA
Posts: 1,141
Thanks: 0
Thanked 96 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AlaskanLS View Post
Okay well, after careful consideration. I came to the conclusion that I will buy OEM transmission mount and aftermarket engine mounts. I believe all mounts are rubber made. Toyota's claim of liquid filled mount is just a myth. I have never seen any Lexus mounts leaked liquid after breaking in half. Since Toyota spent a billion dollars on research before introducing Lexus, will most defiantly try to convince it's buyers to buy OEM parts so they can catch up on the profit, but mounts are just rubber made and it has no mechanical or electrical parts inside, so i think aftermarket won't be that bad to give it a try.
Spending almost 150 on just one engine mount for car that is 28 years old, isn't worth it's value.
Here...This is a Toyota/Lexus generated image of internal composition of LS400 motor mount(s)




Perhaps the way to ascertain composition is to cut one in half.

Please share any dissection results

YODAONE is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to YODAONE For This Useful Post:
bradland (09-25-18)
Old 09-24-18, 11:57 PM
  #7  
bradland
Lead Lap
 
bradland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: AZ
Posts: 629
Thanked 104 Times in 97 Posts
Default

If you're so concerned about the cost start with the trans mount.
I think I've said it 100 times, 9 times out of 10 replacing the trans mount will fix the issue. It's less than $100 and if you have any mechanical competence whatsoever the part is easy to replace so no additional labor costs are incurred. Give it a shot, spend money on the OEM trans mount and re assess your situation, you might be surprised...
bradland is online now  
Old 09-25-18, 12:08 AM
  #8  
AlaskanLS
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Alaska
Posts: 157
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bradland View Post
If you're so concerned about the cost start with the trans mount.
I think I've said it 100 times, 9 times out of 10 replacing the trans mount will fix the issue. It's less than $100 and if you have any mechanical competence whatsoever the part is easy to replace so no additional labor costs are incurred. Give it a shot, spend money on the OEM trans mount and re assess your situation, you might be surprised...
I rarely take my cars to the mechanic and do most of the work myself, unless if it's removal of the removal of the engine or rusted suspension parts.I have ordered OEM Transmission mount and Beck/Arnley engine mounts.
I will replace the transmission mounts first and will see if that makes any difference. My car has 300K miles, engine and transmission mounts were never changed.
AlaskanLS is offline  
Old 09-25-18, 12:11 AM
  #9  
AlaskanLS
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Alaska
Posts: 157
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YODAONE View Post
Here...This is a Toyota/Lexus generated image of internal composition of LS400 motor mount(s)




Perhaps the way to ascertain composition is to cut one in half.

Please share any dissection results
I will actually, once I get the engine mounts out, I am gonna cut them in half and upload it's pictures. I ended up ordering Beck/Arnley mounts for the engine.
AlaskanLS is offline  
Old 09-25-18, 01:02 AM
  #10  
oldskewel
Lead Lap
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: California
Posts: 680
Thanked 55 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Sounds like a good plan. I think you would have regretted the eBay package just due to the labor involved in swapping the engine mounts.

The trans mount is way easier to change, so yes, start with that and see how much better it gets. I replaced all with Lexus mounts at about 170k, soon after getting the car, and it made a dramatic difference. So you should see an even better improvement. When you're swapping out a 300k mile mount, yeah, a Beck Arnley should be a good improvement.

BTW, I don't recall any fluid filled mounts on my '91. When did they start with those?

The one thing I remember from doing the engine mount swap was that having a flex-head ratchet drive with a short 17mm socket ended up being key. I was having a difficult time with other tools until I dug deep enough into my tool collection to get that one, and it was easy - to get the nuts on the top side of the mounts.
oldskewel is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to oldskewel For This Useful Post:
AlaskanLS (09-25-18)
Old 09-28-18, 12:15 AM
  #11  
Losiracer2
Lead Lap
 
Losiracer2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ to Canton, MI
Posts: 707
Thanked 59 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Here are my original mounts at 275k and the new OEM ones beneath them



one of them was completely ripped in half, the other was partially torn
Losiracer2 is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: