LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

newbie looking for help/parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 08:08 PM
Jcrawl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default newbie looking for help/parts

Soooo backstory, I've always been a big toyota fan. But in the 4x4 world. Long story short I decided to dump the 4 cyl in trades for a 1uzfe that I ended up with.
Was told it was from a 1994 ls400, and i believe that to be true. It is a non vvti motor and the ecu wiring seemed to match up pretty well.

bolted it to an engine stand and it was locked up, let some atf sit on the pistons for about 20 min and got it to break free. Little more work and wiring and it started on the stand and ran.

Tore the engine down to replaced some seals and check it out. The two pistons that had water sitting on them, from sitting outside had messed up the cylinder sleeves pretty good.

Tore it completely down ordered all new parts, seals, etc. I made a tool at work on the lathe and pulled the two bad sleeves. ordered some sleeves from melling and then they ended up being incorrect because they do not have the lip at the top for the cylinder head to hold it into the block.

Did alot of research and cannot find any sleeves from a company so i was hoping someone here might have a couple or an old junk motor that might have a couple good sleeves in it.

Long shot but i'm out of options other than spending thousands on pistons and rings, and for that price i can go to the darkside and just drop a 5.3 ls in. I DO NOT want to do this.

pics of what the motor is going in.

Last edited by Jcrawl; 06-22-18 at 08:17 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 06-22-18, 08:25 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

There's a good chance these guys will be able to help you out..

http://thelexusking.com/
Old 06-22-18, 08:41 PM
Jcrawl
Driver School Candidate

It would be great if they could, everything is cleaned up and ready, boxes full of parts just this one hold up

The following users liked this post:
oldskewel (09-03-18)
Old 06-22-18, 09:02 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

Wow! Those are some super cool photos of the engine torn down.

I don't have any spares, but please post more photos as you progress. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Jcrawl (06-22-18)
Old 06-25-18, 11:45 AM
Jcrawl
Driver School Candidate

Parts found / a local saw my cry for help on spacebook and hooked me up with a free motor minus heads. It looks to be in much better shape
Old 06-25-18, 06:21 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Cant beat that.
Old 06-26-18, 02:35 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

wow once the motor was seized, I would have just sourced a used lower mileage long block and toss that in instead of trying to rebuild.
kudos to you for going this route, and glad you found a donor engine quickly and free!
Old 09-03-18, 01:08 PM
Jcrawl
Driver School Candidate

Been a while since I posted up. Motor has been finished, installed, plumbed, new center console for wiring, etc...

IT RUNS!!!! Just in limp mode I think. Seems to be a lot of threads so i'm sorting through them slowly.

Starts fine, idles fine, revs to about 2,500-3,000 and sounds to start dropping one cylinder. and then gets worse but will not got past 4k at all.

testing now to see if it is dropping fuel/spark/or timing. Maybe it is running on a base map because its not wired correctly, harness is extremely cut down.
To the point of I dont think you can even check codes anymore. diag plug that is usually on motor has been taken out. But there is one plug near the computer that has like a clear cap on it.
Need to research that also and try and find a way to pull them

All new timing of course, new coolant temp sensor, adjusted tps and it is working. New 02 sensors also.

AFM seems to be working, will not run with it unplugged. IAC on front of motor is deleted also. Along with emissions except for the sensor on driverside intake.

so basically you are left with ignition components, injectors, knock sensors, afm, tps, crank and cam sensors, coolant temp. thats it.

pics and video to follow.

computer is 34 22 16 28, checked for leaking capacitors and saw nothing visually.
Old 09-03-18, 02:51 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

just seeing this now, sorry i can't be of any help here but just wanted to say that's an awesome use for an old 1UZ and good luck!
Old 09-05-18, 10:41 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

So do you live in a place that requires the engine to have all the fancy emissions stuff for off road applications? If it was me that is the last choice for a power plant for that application. So is the transmission electronic as well? O2 sensors on a rock crawler??? I would be going with a cheap stand alone non OEM controller / ECU if I had to have a bunch of electronics on something off road.
Old 09-06-18, 02:05 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

1uz in a dune buggy. good god man!
Old 09-13-18, 12:50 PM
Jcrawl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
So do you live in a place that requires the engine to have all the fancy emissions stuff for off road applications? If it was me that is the last choice for a power plant for that application. So is the transmission electronic as well? O2 sensors on a rock crawler??? I would be going with a cheap stand alone non OEM controller / ECU if I had to have a bunch of electronics on something off road.
No emissions, you pretty much have to have the 02's. It's how the engine/ecu learns and knows how the engine is running. rich/lean etc...
If i knew of a cheap stand alone i may go that route, any suggestions?
I have a couple friends that have done this swap in offroad applications with stock ecu and they run/work quite well.