LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Aargh! AC clutch pulley bearing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 04:27 AM
Hobycat
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Aargh! AC clutch pulley bearing.

I suspect is bad. I just started using my AC as I bought my '99' in December, life garaged, 75k now. When the AC is on, I feel & hear by sound inside and outside the car a slight buzzing at idle and by touch at my transmission shifter, that disappears at higher rpm under acceleration.Here is the clutch pulley bearing I found here posted by dashan:

3. AC compressor clutch pulley bearing
30x52x22 mm http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit12376 It is for a '96'.

Will this work for mine also? I can fix this.I have access to a press.

It was 98* and humid here in Raleigh-Durham yesterday, the time of year as someone wrote "the AC should be blowing snowballs!"
Old 06-20-18, 02:37 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 408 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobycat
I suspect is bad. I just started using my AC as I bought my '99' in December, life garaged, 75k now. When the AC is on, I feel & hear by sound inside and outside the car a slight buzzing at idle and by touch at my transmission shifter, that disappears at higher rpm under acceleration.Here is the clutch pulley bearing I found here posted by dashan:

3. AC compressor clutch pulley bearing
30x52x22 mm http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit12376 It is for a '96'.

Will this work for mine also? I can fix this.I have access to a press.

It was 98* and humid here in Raleigh-Durham yesterday, the time of year as someone wrote "the AC should be blowing snowballs!"
Here :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/864442-ac-compressor-clutch-p-n.html

The bearing is "staked" in so be aware of this when extracting the old bearing...
Old 06-20-18, 03:37 PM
Hobycat
Driver

Thanks YODAONE.
Old 06-20-18, 09:08 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

if its your transmission that you feel vibrations through, then I suspect your trans mount might be broken. Luckily even a Lexus part is $40 and you can do it fairly easily compared to the motor mounts.

But really, you shouldn't feel ANY vibrations at all in the cabin. After I replaced my motor mounts at 275k with Lexus OEM hydraulic ones, it feels so serene inside when at idle.
Old 06-21-18, 04:04 AM
Hobycat
Driver

Funny thing is that the slight buzzing vibe is only felt with the ac on at idle and disappears at rev and driving. You replaced yours at 275k mine has 75k, and I mean this car was babied! breast fed with it's own playpen! I did a visual of the trans mount on a mechanic buddy's lift two weeks ago. It looks factory fresh. He is going to stethoscope it today or tomorrow. He spoke of possible low oil in the compressor and said he'd check it out.

When you run your ac are you supposed to hear it? Slightly? Weird thing is I like tracking this stuff down.
Old 06-21-18, 11:48 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Funny thing is that the slight buzzing vibe is only felt with the ac on at idle and disappears at rev and driving. You replaced yours at 275k mine has 75k, and I mean this car was babied! breast fed with it's own playpen! I did a visual of the trans mount on a mechanic buddy's lift two weeks ago. It looks factory fresh. He is going to stethoscope it today or tomorrow. He spoke of possible low oil in the compressor and said he'd check it out.

When you run your ac are you supposed to hear it? Slightly? Weird thing is I like tracking this stuff down.
Yeah, every time I hit the A/C button, I can hear the compressor engage but don't feel any vibrations in the cabin.

The mounts may have low mileage, but they're still 20+ year old rubber that's supporting that weight for so long. Rubber gets hard overtime as you are aware, so my new mounts were much more pliable than my old ones.
here are what mine looked like upon removal:
Old 06-22-18, 03:26 AM
Hobycat
Driver

Thanks Losiracer 2, I'll check those on the lift. Where did you get yours?
Old 06-24-18, 05:51 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Thanks Losiracer 2, I'll check those on the lift. Where did you get yours?
I shopped around, but mine were purchased at Camelback Lexus in Phoenix, AZ. I did it before I moved to the midwest since I didn't want to have to touch them ever again and working on a salty undercarriage sucks. My clean rust free LS already has some surface corrosion on the rear shocks due to the dust boots being torn and collecting salty water in the wintertime.

They ran me $240 which is probably the cheapest you can find OEM Lexus mounts for. Bell Lexus in Scottsdale, AZ has an online ebay store that they have good deals on as well, but I went to Camelback because they had them in stock and price matched Bell Lexus' quote.
Old 06-24-18, 06:07 PM
Hobycat
Driver

Losiracer2, Awesome Thanks,
My friend who is a mechanic stethoscoped the ac Friday and said the only thing loose was in my head! Get used to a little ac running sound. Oh well.
I have yet to examine the motor mounts. Will soon.
Old 06-24-18, 09:46 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Losiracer2, Awesome Thanks,
My friend who is a mechanic stethoscoped the ac Friday and said the only thing loose was in my head! Get used to a little ac running sound. Oh well.
I have yet to examine the motor mounts. Will soon.
It could be your idler and accessory belt tensioner bearings making some sound. Mine were chirping during the wintertime and I bought new bearings for them off eBay and pressed them in for around $20. Hopefully they're the real deal NTN Japanese bearings but so far the engine's a lot more quiet now at idle.