LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

High Mileage LS400 Servicing Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-18, 11:15 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts
Talking High Mileage LS400 Servicing Help

I bought a well maintained LS400 which has 220k on ODO and now 221k. So far it runs like a dream without any hitch. I am looking for fluid replacement and I am hard timing in having measurements to order online.

Engine Oil - 5W30, 6 Qt, Mobil 1 FS High Mileage Extended Performance ordered - 5qt x 2 Nos

Power Steering Fluid - Recommended Dextron III - Capacity 2 qt to 7qt (from multiple sources - Ordered 3 Qt - Mobil 1 FS ATF. Not sure would need more than that for flush and refill.

Brake Fluid - Dot 3 - Have a hard time in finding DOT 3 anywhere in the market except Toyota OEM Dot 3.
Recommended from sources - ATE super blue or Motul RBF600 - Both are Dot 4, I think. Which one should I order?

Last edited by Sherl; 06-11-18 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-11-18, 05:43 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Sherl, Welcome to the club and glad to see you're taking care of your new to you, Lexus.

Here's my recommendations:
1. Engine oil.. I'd stick with synthetic 5w30 and skip the high mileage if your engine is not leaking... or find out what the previous owner used and stick with that. I buy mine in the 5 qt. jug at Walmart and then by another quart.. you'll need it. You'll also need the filter and those are available online also.

2. Yes, to Dextron on the power steering fluid. Not sure how many quarts, but 3 should be plenty. I've only replaced the power steering pump.

3 Brake fluid... Dot 3 is the minimum recommended but what was available at the time. Dot 4 will exceed those specs and be ok to add to use in your system. Any Dot 4 would do and I would not pay up for a fancy name. Again, I'd get mine from Walmart... just keep it clean and free of moisture and you should be good to go.

Congrats on the Lexus and enjoy the ride.
Old 06-11-18, 07:00 AM
Sherl
Advanced

Originally Posted by Legender
Sherl, Welcome to the club and glad to see you're taking care of your new to you, Lexus.

Here's my recommendations:
1. Engine oil.. I'd stick with synthetic 5w30 and skip the high mileage if your engine is not leaking... or find out what the previous owner used and stick with that. I buy mine in the 5 qt. jug at Walmart and then by another quart.. you'll need it. You'll also need the filter and those are available online also.

2. Yes, to Dextron on the power steering fluid. Not sure how many quarts, but 3 should be plenty. I've only replaced the power steering pump.

3 Brake fluid... Dot 3 is the minimum recommended but what was available at the time. Dot 4 will exceed those specs and be ok to add to use in your system. Any Dot 4 would do and I would not pay up for a fancy name. Again, I'd get mine from Walmart... just keep it clean and free of moisture and you should be good to go.

Congrats on the Lexus and enjoy the ride.

The previous owner used Shell Rotella T6 5W40 FS which is all over his bikes as well but I think I would go back to manufacturer recommendation
​Rotella is also meant for Diesel Engines ,it just 10 bucks more for some piece of mind.

Many sources suggest Dot 3 over 4 for ls400 as it would impact on ABS functionality. Do you know the capacity ? Thanks

​​
Old 06-11-18, 09:56 AM
Legender
Racer

Generally the Shell T6 is run due to lack of friction modifiers that allows the clutch to work. In some bikes the engine oil also lubricates the clutch mechanism. In that case, oil with friction modifiers is not your friend.
I agree that you should switch back to the OEM recommendation and I just prefer synthetic.

Posting your sources on the Dot 3 vs Dot 4 would be helpful, outside of the higher temp rating on the Dot 4, I'm not aware of any difference that would impact the ABS.

"Dot 3, 4, and 5.1 are glycol ether based. They are compatible, but like motor oils, you should use the recommended or higher grade fluid. Dot 4 and 5.1 also have borate ester to handle higher temperatures. DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 fluids are found in most brake and clutch systems."... stolen from wiki....

I'd also look at this prior post on the subject...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-4-or-3-a.html

I've switched to Dot 4 due to availability and have never had a problem. No idea on the capacity, but can't imaging it take more than a few quarts at most.
Old 06-11-18, 10:10 AM
Sherl
Advanced

Generally the Shell T6 is run due to lack of friction modifiers that allows the clutch to work. In some bikes the engine oil also lubricates the clutch mechanism. In that case, oil with friction modifiers is not your friend.
I agree that you should switch back to the OEM recommendation and I just prefer synthetic.

Posting your sources on the Dot 3 vs Dot 4 would be helpful, outside of the higher temp rating on the Dot 4, I'm not aware of any difference that would impact the ABS.

"Dot 3, 4, and 5.1 are glycol ether based. They are compatible, but like motor oils, you should use the recommended or higher grade fluid. Dot 4 and 5.1 also have borate ester to handle higher temperatures. DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 fluids are found in most brake and clutch systems."... stolen from wiki....

I'd also look at this prior post on the subject...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-4-or-3-a.html

I've switched to Dot 4 due to availability and have never had a problem. No idea on the capacity, but can't imaging it take more than a few quarts at most.

What I was confused by the posts like this
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ml#post6861018
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ml#post6865526
Old 06-11-18, 10:40 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

As usual, you need to be careful what you believe from the interwebs. Not a very high bar to enable posting. My dog can't do it ... yet.

Legender is giving good advice here. 5W30. DOT 3 or 4, changing it is more important than brand.

But there's no I in team, and no T in DEXRON. For the actual AT, using the proper ATF *is* something to put some thought into. But in this case, for the PS, they specify DEXRON II, whose spec has been discontinued (it's a GM specification) and superseded with DEXRON III and now DEXRON VI, supposedly for all applications. I think Yodaone on here did some checking of specs and successfully switched to DEXRON VI for his PS system, hoping to get better performance in his cold winter climate. So your Mobil 1 ATF will probably be just fine in your PS, just because almost anything would be fine there. But I'd recommend being more careful when you change the ATF.

Last edited by oldskewel; 06-11-18 at 10:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sherl (06-11-18)
Old 06-11-18, 11:42 AM
Sherl
Advanced

What ATF would you suggest? I know many still run with Factory TF but I would do in sometime and probably stock some fluids in case. I also wildly remember from the manual that it was 7qt or something. I was surprised when the previous owner handed me his owners manual wrapped in a Lexus Leather Case and that carried the showroom business cards and a letter addressed to Lexus in a blue cover containing a replacement order for some lock neut keys for the VIN. I was impressed that a car of last millennium was thought in several fronts.
The LS400 is my first car and I owned several motorcycles previously though. I would better leave my first fluid replacement to proper shop than messing my hands. I have almost read that PS Fluid can be done with Turkey Blaster and so the brakes with pipes and some flush and some careful thought process but you know its better to completely flush all of them before I get hands on.

BTW I got the email as well. Thanks.
Old 06-11-18, 12:34 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I don't have any strong opinions on ATF for this car, but I expect there are some good opinions and info on this list. I think if you go with the spec Toyota Type T-IV (supersedes the original spec of Type T-II), that is safe and easy.

About 2+ quarts come out on a simple drain and fill. Jacked up on an incline and waiting overnight, and removing the pan might get closer to 4 qts. People remove the pan to replace the filter, inspect, wipe off the magnets, etc. But you will find many stories of people causing themselves problems with leaks, denting the pan, etc. when doing this, so maybe start simple with a drain and fill. BTW, since you're new to cars, this is very common on AT's, where draining and filling the AT only changes a fraction of the ATF.

So specifically on the fluid, Toyota Type T-IV is good. In general, these are considered to be good strong AT's, so there is not a desire, like on some other cars, to upgrade the ATF to avoid problems. It may be available from your Toyota dealer for less than from your Lexus dealer. The Type T-IV is made by Mobil, and is the exact same thing as Mobil 3309, which might be a little cheaper and maybe easier to find. Mobil 3309 is also the same as the Porsche ATF for my Cayenne (Aisin makes the AT for both the Lexus and the Porsche Cayenne, so Aisin happens to specify the same fluid for both = Mobil 3309, and both manufacturers put it in their own bottle, and the Porsche brand costs $$$). So if you want to spend $50/liter on ATF, you can pick it up in a Porsche bottle at your local Porsche dealer.

Some have used Valvoline MaxLife ATF with success. There are always people happy with Amsoil, Mobil 1, etc., but I'll leave it to them to advocate those.

Main thing is to be careful, and do NOT ask the guy at PepBoys what you should put in there.
Old 06-11-18, 01:24 PM
Sherl
Advanced

So you're hinting that pepBoys do good work in General apart from suggestion? I know this is just fluid change and I have several options but looking for a reputed chain near San Jose/Fremont, CA or any established chain for that matter.
Old 06-11-18, 01:30 PM
Legender
Racer

Thanks Oldskewel... I knew that 'Dextron' didn't look right, but didn't take the time to look it up. Thanks for the catch.
Plus one on the above post on the ATF drain and fill. I've done it, pretty easy and straightforward. Just about 2 quarts. I bought a case of the Type T-IV and use it when I need it.
But then I've got a few Toyotas that use the stuff. You might want to do 3 drain and fills over a couple of weeks to get it looking nice and red.

Yes, funny thing... my son-in-law had his tundra serviced and they replaced the power steering pump. But it never was right. He thought they put in a bad one, but he's not mechanically inclined. But when I first drove it, I too thought the PS pump was bad. But I checked the fluid and it was not Dexron, but standard power steering fluid... I did a couple of removes and fills and got most of it back to Dexron and it worked fine after that.

As far as messing your hands... stop by harbor freight and get a box of disposable gloves... that's what I use and they work really good. Just don't get the thinnest ones.

Sounds like you've got a great start on your first car. Most people would be pleased to get something this nice.
Old 06-11-18, 01:58 PM
Sherl
Advanced

I didn't literally mean to get greasy. I would do some pro do the full flush before I take care of the Lexus.
Old 06-11-18, 02:18 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I'll say that the Pep Boys local are not the first choice for quality repairs. Each shop is different though I would suggest finding an independent Lexus service shop to work on the car. The Nor Cal section has this thread for shops:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nor...-mods-etc.html
Old 06-12-18, 02:51 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

I ordered a case of mobil 3309 online for tranny oil changes.It was the best pricing I could get.Shop around.

Amazon
Old 06-12-18, 02:56 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

As far as messing your hands... stop by harbor freight and get a box of disposable gloves... that's what I use and they work really good. Just don't get the thinnest ones.
They are always putting the 5ml gloves on sale for 4.99/box.I use em in cooking too,quite a good deal.
Old 06-22-18, 04:33 AM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I also used MOBIL1 ATF 3309 on two LS400:s. It is as far as I have read "same" as Toyota T-IV stuff that cost double here.
A big deal when you put in 12+ litres in each car.
Worked perfectly . Fixed hard shift sometimes when cold issues on one of the cars.

Quick Reply: High Mileage LS400 Servicing Help