LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New Owner of a UCF20 Coach Edition

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 11:46 PM
RWDforLife
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Owner of a UCF20 Coach Edition

Hey Everyone! I didn't see a New Member Intro thread so I figured I would post in the submodel forum. I just recently purchased a 1997 LS400 Coach Edition and joined Club Lexus. I'm actually looking to sell my '17 Camaro as certain life changes are making it more desirable to not make monthly payments on a new car (not to mention full coverage insurance). In the meantime I wanted to get something relatively inexpensive yet reliable. I've considered getting an LS400 for quite a while. It basically came down to either an LS or a car with a GM 3800. While parts for a car with a 3800 would definitely be cheaper, I figured an LS would be more reliable and of better build quality. I found this one on Craigslist, test drove it, offered $3,000, and bought it :P

It currently has 112,000 miles on it and as time has gone on, I feel more and more like I got a pretty decent deal. It had only one previous owner and the timing belt was recently replaced. I was already aware of some of the issues when I test drove it, it will need some repairs: oil gunk on the block (probably valve cover gasket), paint scuffs, telescoping steering wheel (but I already fixed that with a garden hose washer :P), front passenger clunk (probably UCA), trunk is leaking water, and worn hood struts (finally figured what that wooden stick behind the driver-side door was). My main prerequisites were a car that starts and a functioning A/C :P

I've owned numerous cars in the past: Swedish, German, US, Korean, but never a Japanese car oddly enough. I came to the conclusion a while ago that if you want a reliable German luxury sedan and you're okay forgoing a manual...then get a Lexus! :P The build quality on this car is pretty stellar and it feels great driving it into work. It's cliché to say, but it feels like a nearly new car even though it's 24-years old. Not only is it a "Coach Edition", it's also in Opal White Pearl which I guess it makes it even more "rare" (as far as a best-selling luxury car goes...) It's an interesting color, when I saw the pics in the Craigslist ad I just figured it was beige. However under cloudy skies, it either looks either off white or silver and in the bright sun it looks almost like a light tan.

Other than fixing the issues with the car, I don't plan to do anything too major with it. I do want to add an aftermarket stereo/navigation, possibly speakers, a catback exhaust, DEPO tail lights, possibly getting it vinyl wrapped, different wheels, stiffer bushings, I'm not sure if Bilsteins/coilovers would ruin the ride of this car, I'm enjoying the fact that every pebble I drive over doesn't cause a shock through my spine :P I've already read through the stickies and have a pretty good idea of what I'm up against (so thank you to everyone who has contributed) and I look forward to being part of the community.

Here are some poorly taken pics:

(

Old 05-17-18, 12:36 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts

Welcome aboard.
Im a newbie Lexus owner too,like you was NEVER on my radar at all,and agree with all you say regarding build quality and overall awesomeness.Except for the so/so mileage driven as a city car and high gas prices in Ca,this car is extremely cheap to own,you nailed that issue completely,I love that aspect.112K miles is a puppy!
Hope your Lexus journey is as pleasant as ours has been so far.
Old 05-17-18, 09:51 AM
RWDforLife
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Most other LS's in the area were understandably 200k+ mi so yeah 112k is indeed a puppy. Gas mileage doesn't seem the greatest but I knew that coming in. I'm a bit spoiled here in TX, I just visited Seattle and gas was $3.50/gallon. I can only imagine what it is back in Cali. Other cars in the same price range with better gas mileage were in much worse condition and much higher mileage. I used to have a somewhat similar '92 BMW 535i w/5-spd manual that averaged 15mpg combined so I hope I can achieve a little better than that. My Camaro is a 2.0T and I average 27-28mpg combined but I don't think the gas savings will make up for the lease payment and insurance.
Old 05-17-18, 10:14 AM
spuds
Racer

Cali premium yesterday was 4.09-4.19. Im getting 20 combined,a lot is city. Im paying 335/yr for minimum required cali insurance from AAA.Cali registration yearly is 135.00 IIRC.
So indeed,thats cheap for a vehicle.Especially one so easy and comfortable to drive with great A/C.

Club Lexus is the place to be.EVERYTHING you can possibly need to know can be found here.

Last edited by spuds; 05-17-18 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-17-18, 10:27 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Congrats on the low mileage find. Plenty of us LS owners here in TX. Welcome to the club.
Old 05-17-18, 03:32 PM
4litre
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

She's a beautiful car! Welcome and enjoy!
Old 05-17-18, 09:41 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

If you do a lot of hwy driving, you'll average 27 easy. But yeah, city mileage sucks, I'm only getting 18 typically on 93 octane here in MI.

Nice Coach Edition! I changed my emblems to Coach ones and found an armrest and rear bench seat along with the walnut shiftknob from one a year or so ago.
Old 05-18-18, 05:48 AM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
If you do a lot of hwy driving, you'll average 27 easy.
Just what I get too,hwy not too shabby at all.
Old 05-18-18, 10:57 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase. It's pretty cool the original owner still had that paperwork. A little time and effort and you'll have a great car which will last a good long time.
Old 06-05-18, 09:48 AM
RWDforLife
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone! For some reason I wasn't getting notifications. Just in the few weeks I've had it, I've given her an oil change, Seafoam, new thermostat, new front pads (they were "hella flush" :P), found out one of the lug nuts is missing, ordered a new cabin air filter. I also narrowed down the clunking noise to partially torn LCA bushings. Autocheck showed it didn't gain many miles in it's recent years so it makes sense if it was sitting a lot. I have to say it, but *knocks on real wood in car* doing basic DIY stuff on this car is pretty drama free. I feel like I should be cussing a lot more like I did with my Camaro :P

First fill up I averaged 18.4 mpg but I was doing a lot of idling trying to troubleshoot an overheating issue. Still damn good IMHO for a 22-yr old V8! I had a 13 Hyundai Sonata 2.4l with less power, worse handling and it got 18 as well.

I'll definitely have to keep an eye out at the junkyard for a Coach emblem, not sure why mine was removed off the trunk. I looked on eBay and a used one was waaay too much.
Old 06-06-18, 07:15 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

maybe your trunk had a repaint
Old 06-06-18, 08:26 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by lextout
maybe your trunk had a repaint
doubt it. He still has the Coach ed. Champagne silver badges on there vs. the chrome or gold chrome you typically get.
Old 06-10-18, 11:54 AM
RWDforLife
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
doubt it. He still has the Coach ed. Champagne silver badges on there vs. the chrome or gold chrome you typically get.
Yeah you can't really tell by the pics but the adhesive is still there. Maybe the blaring Texas sun melted it off or someone stole it to stick on their Shanzai'd Coach purse :P