LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Driver side power window not working all the time

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 04:48 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Driver side power window not working all the time

Hello,
So the title says it all. Sometimes my driver side windows will roll up and down without a problem and other times it won't move at all. I notice the issue mostly occurs when I roll my window up and down within a short period of time. Such as today when I rolled it up for a car wash then rolled it down. When I got home to roll it up it started to roll up then slowed down and just stopped. This has happened to me before in the past. After around 5-10 minutes of driving it will work again, however, this is very annoying. Anyone know what the issue is and how much it may cost to fix?

Thanks
Old 04-11-18, 06:45 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Sure you're not getting water inside the door? Only bring it up as you talked about the car wash, then later, after it had a chance to dry, worked fine. It's easy to pop off the control panel in the door and see if the switches are clean and free of debris. Going to have to figure out if you're not getting power, or the motor is getting tired and does not work all the time. Not sure you can figure this out without pulling the door panel off.
All the other windows work fine on multiple uses from the driver's door? If so, then could be something about the motor on that door only then.
Old 04-11-18, 04:53 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Legender
Sure you're not getting water inside the door? Only bring it up as you talked about the car wash, then later, after it had a chance to dry, worked fine. It's easy to pop off the control panel in the door and see if the switches are clean and free of debris. Going to have to figure out if you're not getting power, or the motor is getting tired and does not work all the time. Not sure you can figure this out without pulling the door panel off.
All the other windows work fine on multiple uses from the driver's door? If so, then could be something about the motor on that door only then.
I am almost sure water is not the issue as this has happened multiple times while driving (Drive-thrus, or nice weather driving until I get on the freeway). I let it sit overnight and went to start her this morning and she rolled up. As I am aware of all the windows go up and down fine. If you want I can try to get a video of the issue and see if that can help?
Old 04-11-18, 05:29 PM
Yamae
Forum Moderator

Received 898 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by winter4w
Hello,
So the title says it all. Sometimes my driver side windows will roll up and down without a problem and other times it won't move at all. I notice the issue mostly occurs when I roll my window up and down within a short period of time. Such as today when I rolled it up for a car wash then rolled it down. When I got home to roll it up it started to roll up then slowed down and just stopped. This has happened to me before in the past. After around 5-10 minutes of driving it will work again, however, this is very annoying. Anyone know what the issue is and how much it may cost to fix?

Thanks
Sounds like the aged PTC thermistor is causing your problem. It is built in the motor in series with the winding to limit the current. The purpose of it is to avoid the overheating of the windings. It increases the resistance when it is warmed up. It has a turning point called "Curie Point" which is explained here.

I have seen many aged motors for windows and door locks failed due to the shifted "Curie Point" to the lower side or the internal resistance at ambient is already increased. The quickest way to fix is to replace the motor since the PTC thermistor alone is not available easily.

FYI, I attach a photo which shows PTC thermistors in the motors although it is for a door lock. Red arrows indicate the PTC thermistors.

Old 04-11-18, 08:14 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

I've been having this problem when its really cold outside, I'm not sure if its the driver window switch and the contacts in it or what. It is very unpredictable. But whenever the temps are below 30 degrees it tends to act up more and not work.
Old 04-11-18, 08:31 PM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Spray lots Silicon based WD40 in the window channels the problem will go away. I had this problem with my Toyota Land Cruiser and WD40 fixed it. I bought WD40 at Walmart.
Old 04-12-18, 03:42 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yamae
Sounds like the aged PTC thermistor is causing your problem. It is built in the motor in series with the winding to limit the current. The purpose of it is to avoid the overheating of the windings. It increases the resistance when it is warmed up. It has a turning point called "Curie Point" which is explained here.

I have seen many aged motors for windows and door locks failed due to the shifted "Curie Point" to the lower side or the internal resistance at ambient is already increased. The quickest way to fix is to replace the motor since the PTC thermistor alone is not available easily.

FYI, I attach a photo which shows PTC thermistors in the motors although it is for a door lock. Red arrows indicate the PTC thermistors.

How much will it be to repair it or get another one?

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
I've been having this problem when its really cold outside, I'm not sure if its the driver window switch and the contacts in it or what. It is very unpredictable. But whenever the temps are below 30 degrees it tends to act up more and not work.
Yea I know when it's hot out near me some of my power features struggle to work however this happens at random with random temps.

Originally Posted by AlaskanLS
Spray lots Silicon based WD40 in the window channels the problem will go away. I had this problem with my Toyota Land Cruiser and WD40 fixed it. I bought WD40 at Walmart.

Hmm, I will have to give it a try. I also will see about cleaning them too.

So messing around the driver side switch does seem to stick more than the other ones. I know someone said to clean them, I was wondering if someone can show me where will I be looking to find the debris?
Old 04-12-18, 08:10 PM
Yamae
Forum Moderator

How much will it be to repair it or get another one?
The motor costs 25,272 Yen in Japan. But searching the parts catalogue today, I found it's not available any more.
I once have fixed the motor only replacing the PTC thermistor with another one at my own risk. But the original one used in the motor was not available and I had to try using another one which I found at Akihabara Japan.

It's been working perfectly fine for years but this may not be the correct way to fix. As I use newer capacitors for the ECU and others, I often use newer and easily available parts replacing failed old ones in the different units although it needs some knowledge and skills to do but so far my trials have been all OK. In order to keep old cars running on the road, my ways of replacing parts are sometimes needed, I believe.

Old 04-13-18, 02:12 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

The motor costs 25,272 Yen in Japan. But searching the parts catalogue today, I found it's not available any more.
I once have fixed the motor only replacing the PTC thermistor with another one at my own risk. But the original one used in the motor was not available and I had to try using another one which I found at Akihabara Japan.

It's been working perfectly fine for years but this may not be the correct way to fix. As I use newer capacitors for the ECU and others, I often use newer and easily available parts replacing failed old ones in the different units although it needs some knowledge and skills to do but so far my trials have been all OK. In order to keep old cars running on the road, my ways of replacing parts are sometimes needed, I believe.

I can't seem to find it either guess I will have to replace the entire unit. Do you by any chance know what the part number is?
Old 04-13-18, 02:18 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Sorry just saw the part number on the images and they don't fit the 2nd gen (I have a 96). Looking around online I found this one https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-motor-assy-power-window-regulator-front-lh~85720-50040.html?Make=Lexus&Model=LS400&Year=1996&Submodel=&Filter=()&Location=pd:.

Just wanted to make sure if that was the correct part for my 96?
Old 04-13-18, 07:46 PM
Yamae
Forum Moderator

Sorry just saw the part number on the images and they don't fit the 2nd gen (I have a 96). Looking around online I found this one https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...)&Location=pd:.

Just wanted to make sure if that was the correct part for my 96?
I searched the motor for a JDM 95-97. Try partsfan.com for the investigation for a USDM. The site needs a registration though.
Old 04-19-18, 01:42 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

I searched the motor for a JDM 95-97. Try partsfan.com for the investigation for a USDM. The site needs a registration though.
I think I found the part number. Just to make sure I am understanding this right it would be the motor I need to replace?
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...lenoid,,85720A

I found a dealer that is selling it
https://parts.longolexus.com/oem-par...QtZG9vcg%3D%3D

Also, I know my steering wheel behaves similarly. It will move then stop and I will have to wait a few minutes before it would want to move again. Will the motor on this need to be replaced too and if so do you know what the part is called or what the part number for it?
Old 04-20-18, 01:26 AM
ankurdave
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, I know my steering wheel behaves similarly. It will move then stop and I will have to wait a few minutes before it would want to move again. Will the motor on this need to be replaced too and if so do you know what the part is called or what the part number for it?
I've been having this problem too. Per Yamae's 2012 post, it might be as simple as a buildup of carbon dust. I haven't tried cleaning the inside of the motor yet, but it seems like a good idea before resorting to replacement.
Old 05-14-18, 11:52 AM
Feliciano
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 ls430

Hello,

Thanks
Very interesting. I am having the exact same issue on my front passenger side. I have also noticed that ALL the windows seem to activate up and down slower than before. I know it's not my battery. When it's all 4 I was thinking perhaps it's a fuse that has blown and perhaps all of the 4 are running on the same power grid with half the power? Not sure if that even makes sense.

On the passenger window that starts to go up but stops then drops slightly, that can be frustrating. Anyone with a 3rd generation LS having the same issues and can provide some insight on what the issue is and how to fix it? Thank you.
Old 05-14-18, 06:17 PM
DGMD
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a remanufactured cardone pw unit from rock auto and it works great. I had to send in an old window motor i bought off ebay to receive a refurbished one. They may have changed it as now it looks like you can buy a refurbished motor first, and send in your old motor after, for same the price I paid.

Quick Reply: Driver side power window not working all the time