LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Opinions needed on 1997 ls400

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-18, 07:22 PM
Lnmarlow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed on 1997 ls400

So I took my ls400 in to toyota for hesitation at idle. They claim that there are two things wrong that need to be replaced spark plug wires, and timing belt water pump combo. Both costing a lot of money. What are you guys opinions on this. Also power steering pump has a leak and oil pan gasket is causing an oil leak.
Whats some guidance.
Old 03-16-18, 10:01 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

That's up to what you are willing to spend in maintenance. If those are the only issues to fix, you are in pretty good shape. These are good cars when well cared for and members can keep them going long term. The other is what a replacement car is going to cost.

Timing belt service is about $800-$1,400, call around to some independent Lexus shops. Make sure to inquire about which parts they will be using. If this is at the lower $ end they may be using aftermarket. Have the distributor caps and rotors changed at the same time.

Spark plug wires are ~$80 and can be a DIY in an hour some odd.
Amazon Amazon

If doing that, may as well change the spark plugs X8:
Amazon Amazon

For the most part the oil pan seal is pretty good. Often the valve cover gasket seals are leaking causing oil to migrate down around the block and drip off. The PS pump is common and a rebuild is about $175-$225 from an independent.

My 200K service was about the same price the car is valued at. Timing belt, new radiator, valve cover gaskets replaced, transmission selector shaft seal (leaking some tranny fluid from that aged seal), new plugs, wires, caps, rotors and some other misc stuff was done.
Old 03-16-18, 11:05 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Describe hesitation at idle i.e. is it running rough or missing, etc... so we can help you solve & fix your problem. If a simple tuneup is all you need then you can save lots of money by doing the work yourself providing that you're mechanical incline & have some basic tools.
Old 03-17-18, 03:56 AM
Lnmarlow
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks I appreciate it

Originally Posted by RA40
That's up to what you are willing to spend in maintenance. If those are the only issues to fix, you are in pretty good shape. These are good cars when well cared for and members can keep them going long term. The other is what a replacement car is going to cost.

Timing belt service is about $800-$1,400, call around to some independent Lexus shops. Make sure to inquire about which parts they will be using. If this is at the lower $ end they may be using aftermarket. Have the distributor caps and rotors changed at the same time.

Spark plug wires are ~$80 and can be a DIY in an hour some odd.
https://www.amazon.com/NGK-TE119-Spa...Alexus%3Als400

If doing that, may as well change the spark plugs X8:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the most part the oil pan seal is pretty good. Often the valve cover gasket seals are leaking causing oil to migrate down around the block and drip off. The PS pump is common and a rebuild is about $175-$225 from an independent.

My 200K service was about the same price the car is valued at. Timing belt, new radiator, valve cover gaskets replaced, transmission selector shaft seal (leaking some tranny fluid from that aged seal), new plugs, wires, caps, rotors and some other misc stuff was done.

Its pricey but you are right on point.
Old 03-17-18, 03:59 AM
Lnmarlow
Driver School Candidate

Default It’s pulsating

Originally Posted by Superfast1
Describe hesitation at idle i.e. is it running rough or missing, etc... so we can help you solve & fix your problem. If a simple tuneup is all you need then you can save lots of money by doing the work yourself providing that you're mechanical incline & have some basic tools.
hey it’s pulsating and missing on two cylinders. I think I’ll do the timing belt water pump and wires like they quoted on priority. Hopefully the rest can be done much later. I’m not mechanical inclined. I’d try the wires fix though!?!?
Old 03-17-18, 09:13 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Lnmarlow

hey it’s pulsating and missing on two cylinders. I think I’ll do the timing belt water pump and wires like they quoted on priority. Hopefully the rest can be done much later. I’m not mechanical inclined. I’d try the wires fix though!?!?
you better replace ONE wire at a time or you will be in trouble...
Old 03-17-18, 09:47 AM
Lnmarlow
Driver School Candidate

Default ?

Originally Posted by billydpowe
you better replace ONE wire at a time or you will be in trouble...
would you elaborate further? Like what trouble etc ?
Old 03-17-18, 12:17 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I think he means to thread each wire at one time. You could mix up how they are supposed to be routed and connected if your not careful, even top techs can mess it up.
Old 03-17-18, 12:33 PM
Lnmarlow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
I think he means to thread each wire at one time. You could mix up how they are supposed to be routed and connected if your not careful, even top techs can mess it up.
ok so you think toyota would have this issue? If it’s not running properly they’d figure out how to fix it right?
Old 03-17-18, 12:38 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

The way the wires run can be confusing due to the way the distributor routes them across the engine. Fortunately we have diagrams and I'll use Billy's:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post8889337

The caps are numbered for the respective side so that helps too. Match the cyl numbers and you'll be good. Take a picture how the wires are in the loom holders because a slight change they may be difficult to put the covers on if not aligned just right.
Old 03-17-18, 12:41 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lnmarlow

ok so you think toyota would have this issue? If it’s not running properly they’d figure out how to fix it right?
One would feel that way though not always that they nail it. This is a question to ask the service writer that assigns the job whether the tech is experienced with the 1UZ motor and Lexus.
Old 03-17-18, 03:07 PM
Lnmarlow
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by RA40
One would feel that way though not always that they nail it. This is a question to ask the service writer that assigns the job whether the tech is experienced with the 1UZ motor and Lexus.
Thank you so much!
Old 03-19-18, 12:23 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

why not start with the easy stuff and replace the spark plugs first. if that does not change anything then work your way up to the plug wires afterward.
I find that plugs are bad before the plug wires are.
then of course you have the caps/rotors which do get corroded as well.

easy stuff first before the big stuff like an entire timing belt change!
Old 03-19-18, 01:01 PM
Lnmarlow
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
why not start with the easy stuff and replace the spark plugs first. if that does not change anything then work your way up to the plug wires afterward.
I find that plugs are bad before the plug wires are.
then of course you have the caps/rotors which do get corroded as well.

easy stuff first before the big stuff like an entire timing belt change!
Spark plugs were done. So I guess those would be the next things? I’ll do caps and rotors later