LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Options for new wiring?? Chassis Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-18, 01:53 AM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Options for new wiring?? Chassis Swap

HI guys. Im considering swapping my celsior drive train and interior over to an ls400 chassis. The reason is, I want a sunroof, am already planning a full respray, and the import plate is missing from my celsior. If I was to do this, what option are there for renewing the wiring throughout the car? This will be a 12month project and IM happy to do tons of work myself.
Old 01-09-18, 04:11 PM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

since you are in a RHD country with a Japanese RHD car, I would think it would all swap over quite easily. you will have to know the differences in options however as they vary in international markets (i.e. traction control). if both engines look exactly identical, then I don't see why you could not just do a swap just like you would a replacement drivetrain.

as for the interior, it should be the same too but again know the difference in options. some cars came with rear climate controls for example.

I would guess an australian LS400 is exactly like a Japanese celsior just rebadged lexus!
Old 01-09-18, 07:05 PM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

The main difference is the sunroof on the ls400 and not the celsior
Old 01-10-18, 03:44 AM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

TO do the transmission and engine swap is cheaper than getting it recomplianced as an import! I think I will go this route. Will just have to ensure that the ecu and all options wont cause an issue. I would really just put all the celsior gear and elecrics in to the LS so the only concern would be getting the sunroof to work.
Old 01-12-18, 10:24 AM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

if you don't touch the interior wiring harness on the LS it should work just fine. you're swapping the engine/trans which has nothing to do with the interior bits.

you did mention the interior bits. what did you want to swap over?
Old 01-13-18, 07:36 AM
creilly
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I would imagine there's a spot in the existing interior harness for the Celsior where the sunroof would join. It would make sense to me that you're probably in the best possible place where wiring is concerned since you have an F-package car that had every option, though I'm really not qualified to say that with any certainty. In any case I admire the unflinching willingness you have to do whatever it takes for this car, it seems like every time you make a post here it's some new seemingly insurmountable project!
Old 01-14-18, 01:36 AM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Thanks Creilly. Honestly, I only bought the Celsior for the motor. I couldnt stand the car when I was looking around, but I just fell in love with it. Its a big project so far, I built the exhaust, fixed seats, fuel pump and the entire ignition system had to be replaced. I only paid 1500aud for the car so Now its at around 3000aud.

The Celsior I have on the road has all electronic options minus the sunroof. It has massaging and heated seats. Recling rear seats, audio and climate controls in the rear.

The ls400 I would like to swap into, has none of that, only the sunroof. So I am hoping that the wiring on the celsior has a plug for the sunroof option.

I will be swapping EVERYTHING over. The LS400 will basically just be a bare shell by the time Im ready to go.

The only reason Im doing this is because Im bored, and the Celsior has no import plate, and even tho I am allowed to register it, Without the import plate, I can not get any other mods certified. I cant get a replacement plate because I was not the original importer. The other, less legal option is to swap the tags, but I dont want to risk it.

The Celsior also has a mammoth air filtration unit that is way bigger than that in the ls400