LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help! SC430 wheels on UCF20

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17, 12:45 PM
danzafar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! SC430 wheels on UCF20

Help.

Admin, feel free to redirect if this has been discussed already.

A bit green here, so excuse the 'common-knowledge' questions. Got this baby imported from Japan (more on that a separate introductory post), and also in Japan I found a good deal on the SC430 wheels you see attached to the car.

The auctioneers in Japan had to use two spacers on each of the front wheels to clear the callipers (not sure which length), but from what I see there is very little thread for bolts to hold on to. The steering wheel vibrates at 90kms (only), and I initially thought the wheels needed balancing as there’s no guarantee they were balanced when they were slapped on.

My local shop has declared these wheels completely unsafe for road use because of the lug situation and out of fear of one of them snapping while I’m driving. I’m bringing the car to a different shop that specializes in wheels to get hub-centric spacers with longer lugs AND to balance the wheels, both of which I’m hoping fix the problem. Currently I am not exceeding 80km/h until the car is looked at.

My concerns are:
I’ve seen many UCF20s with these 430 wheels, perhaps some of you have this setup too. What kind of precautions should I take to have this going? If these wheels are that incompatible with the cars, how are there so many in the wild? Any of you with a 20 running spacers on the ear wheels?

Thanks.

I need to make this happen...without dying on the highway!
Old 08-03-17, 05:49 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

belongs in LS400 forum
Old 08-03-17, 09:27 AM
danzafar
Driver School Candidate

My bad. I will delete.
Old 08-03-17, 10:16 AM
danzafar
Driver School Candidate

Default SC430 Wheels on UCF20

Help!

Admin, feel free to redirect if this has been discussed already.

A bit green here, so excuse the 'common-knowledge' questions. Got this baby imported from Japan (more on that a separate introductory post), and also in Japan I found a good deal on the SC430 wheels you see attached to the car.

The auctioneers in Japan had to use two spacers on each of the front wheels to clear the calipers (not sure which length), but from what I see there is very little thread for bolts to hold on to. The steering wheel vibrates at 90kms (only), and I initially thought the wheels needed balancing as there’s no guarantee they were balanced when they were slapped on.

My local shop has declared these wheels completely unsafe for road use because of the lug situation and out of fear of one of them snapping while I’m driving. I’m bringing the car to a different shop that specializes in wheels to get hub-centric spacers with longer lugs AND to balance the wheels, both of which I’m hoping fix the problem. Currently I am not exceeding 80km/h until the car is looked at.

I’ve seen many UCF20s with these SC430 wheels, perhaps some of you have this setup too. My concerns are:
- What kind of precautions should I take to have this going (hubcentric spacers with lug extenders? what size?)
- If these wheels are that incompatible with the cars, how are there so many in the wild?
- Any of you with a UCF20, running spacers on the ear wheels? Does having rear spacers tress the car in any way, this being a RWD vehicle?

Thanks a lot!

Thanks.

I need to make this happen...without dying on the highway!

Last edited by danzafar; 08-03-17 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-04-17, 02:44 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

get some 15mm hubcentric bolt on spacers off ebay. You can pick some up for 35 bucks shipped. It comes with new studs and they bolt on to your existing studs to retain the proper thread length for your existing stock lugnuts to torque down.

I had to shave about 2-3mm of the stock studs though to clear the wheel pockets in order to make the wheel sit flush. But it was nothing a harbor freight 4.5" angle grinder couldn't take care of.
Old 08-04-17, 07:06 AM
blumagic
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ditto what Losiracer said, but it sounds like you want a bit more technical assistance and reassurance so I'd recommend motorsport-tech, talk to someone there and they will ease your fears and custom make you exactly what you need

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/