LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fuel usage gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-17, 02:25 AM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fuel usage gauge

I'm very interested in purchasing an UTCOMP-3 or even an MPGuino.....I just removed the engine fan for the purposes of getting better fuel economy and I believe that this device is super sensitive and accurate in calculating fuel usage. It's a Fuel meter, MPG gauge, voltmeter, trip computer, 0-60kmh and 0-100kmh, can calculate hp based on the weight of the car and acceleration times. They are $135USD... It does lots of other things that for now I'm not interested in.. I just want it for super accurate MPG (Or liters per 100km), 0-60KMH, 0-100KMH . I also want to know how changing the oil, changing the brand of oil and pretty much any mod or change I do to anything, I want to see how it affects fuel consumption. Has anyone out there used one of these devices ? Does anybody know anything about them ?
Attached Thumbnails Fuel usage gauge-ut-comp-mpg-gauge.jpg   Fuel usage gauge-mpguino.jpg  

Last edited by fastegg; 05-06-17 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-08-17, 12:42 PM
timmy0tool

Received 417 Likes on 372 Posts

interesting gadget...does it use the OBD port for its data input? not quite sure removing the fan would be a healthy start to better fuel economy (less engine drag i suppose but very minimal) but I have not used anything like this myself. let us know how it goes!
Old 05-08-17, 04:49 PM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
interesting gadget...does it use the OBD port for its data input? not quite sure removing the fan would be a healthy start to better fuel economy (less engine drag i suppose but very minimal) but I have not used anything like this myself. let us know how it goes!
... I removed the clutch fan off my Cresidda and got a 10% improvement straight away... It went from 500km per tank to 550km and was much quieter. .. Ive had the fan off the Lex now for a week and the first thing I noticed was how much quieter it is pulling away from the lights...Without accurately measuring it I think its better... my l/per 100km for city driving is 5-10% better but can't say for sure yet. Engine Masters on Youtube tested a whole bunch of fans for hp loss and the clutch fan, which looked exactly the same as mine sucked 14hp and non clutch fans sucked 30hp. One thing that surprised me is the air con fan comes on if the engine temp goes past 90 degrees C. It cant pull the temp down but it didn't go up any further just idling in the driveway. Just driving around town I have had no temperature issues yet but I am fitting a 16" thermo fan off ebay. Now having said that, we are in the middle of Spring and the daytime temp is not hot or cold, however as summer comes on you couldn't drive without a thermo fan and it will be interesting to see how it fares when the daytime temp is 40C. Where I live I'm rarely in heavy traffic and it appears that so long as the car is moving, even slowly, the temp stays stable and it doesn't need a fan.

... To answer you question these devices need to splice into the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) which is easy its on the rear of the gearbox easily accessed, and splice into a wire to one of the fuel injectors that counts the pulses. Easy job, easy accessed. I was hoping someone has used one already. Looks like I'm gunna have to be the bunny...

Last edited by fastegg; 05-08-17 at 04:56 PM.