LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'99 timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-17, 12:34 PM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default '99 timing belt

Does anybody know what the maximum miles that has been run up on a '99 1UZ timing belt ?.... Has anyone ever heard of one breaking at all ?
Old 04-13-17, 12:41 PM
bornking
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It's an interference engine so there is no point in testing its limit...it'll cost you a new (used) engine!
Old 04-13-17, 01:49 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

From what I read on this forum, LS belts rarely brakes, it's usually a seized pulley what messes up the belt in no time and destroys the engine.
That is why when doing timing belt you replace a lot more than just the belt.
Old 04-13-17, 03:36 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

As long as the belt is an original genuine Lexus belt, people have run theirs to 120k which I would caution against. Most of the time, it's the original belt not tended to by the original owner and the second owner unknowingly purchased the car with the belt service not done yet.
Old 04-13-17, 03:52 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Timing belt's shouldn't be judged by the miles. They should be visually inspected. If a car has a large oil leak that was able to get on to the belt the life would be greatly reduced. I've heard of cars being bought recently that had the original belts. They were all cracked but were still holding. Inspecting the belt is pretty easy on the 1UZ so that's where I would go.
Old 04-13-17, 05:54 PM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by fastegg
Does anybody know what the maximum miles that has been run up on a '99 1UZ timing belt ?.... Has anyone ever heard of one breaking at all ?

well I just did mine, and previous owner had run the miles up way past the 90k limit. Was done at 100k, car now has 267k and it was just done lol.

Not something you want to keep putting off though, especially on an interference engine. Just do it and have that piece of mind. Save up for OEM parts as well. Check out my build thread for a list of all parts you should replace!
Old 04-13-17, 09:24 PM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When looking to see what others on here paid for their timing belt service, I came across some old posts saying 100,000 miles past the recommended 90,000 mile interval is the maximum.

If it was me, I'd just get it done. Like others said, if components related to the timing belt go bad then the timing belt will inevitably break.

Luckily, thanks to those old posts, I was able to discover that my car was exhibiting a few barely noticeable symptoms that the related components were close to giving out even though my car drove like new and had the timing belt replaced at approximately 90,000 miles 12 years ago.

Symptoms:
1. I would sometimes think that my car was a little slower than expected for having a big V8.
2. Sometimes I'd hear a very faint whirring sound when turning corners before the engine warmed up.
3. On start up, the engine was almost completely silent but not quite but when I'd arrive to my destination the engine was so quiet I'd forget the car was on (just like it's supposed to be).
4. The engine cover was quite greasy but I'd attributed this to a valve cover gasket leak.
5. Sometimes the car would idle below 500 RPM.
6. The lady who owned Sexy Lexy before me had the timing belt service done when she had the car towed in to the dealer because it had intermittent no starts. They found out that some parts related to the timing belt (can't remember the names) were leaking so she had it replaced right away.

So, I had an indy Japanese shop specializing in Honda/Acura do the timing belt service asap. They charged me $900, half of what the Lexus dealer quoted me.

Since then, all these symptoms have disappeared and the vehicle has performed exactly as it should since the timing belt was replaced. Sexy Lexy went from driving "like brand new" to "like it just came off the showroom floor" and now I accidentally find myself leaving traffic several blocks behind me once I reach cruising speed after coming from a stop light.

Last edited by lexslexus; 04-13-17 at 09:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
8055y (04-15-17)
Old 04-13-17, 10:18 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by lexslexus
When looking to see what others on here paid for their timing belt service, I came across some old posts saying 100,000 miles past the recommended 90,000 mile interval is the maximum.

If it was me, I'd just get it done. Like others said, if components related to the timing belt go bad then the timing belt will inevitably break.

Luckily, thanks to those old posts, I was able to discover that my car was exhibiting a few barely noticeable symptoms that the related components were close to giving out even though my car drove like new and had the timing belt replaced at approximately 90,000 miles 12 years ago.

Symptoms:
1. I would sometimes think that my car was a little slower than expected for having a big V8.
2. Sometimes I'd hear a very faint whirring sound when turning corners before the engine warmed up.
3. On start up, the engine was almost completely silent but not quite but when I'd arrive to my destination the engine was so quiet I'd forget the car was on (just like it's supposed to be).
4. The engine cover was quite greasy but I'd attributed this to a valve cover gasket leak.
5. Sometimes the car would idle below 500 RPM.
6. The lady who owned Sexy Lexy before me had the timing belt service done when she had the car towed in to the dealer because it had intermittent no starts. They found out that some parts related to the timing belt (can't remember the names) were leaking so she had it replaced right away.

So, I had an indy Japanese shop specializing in Honda/Acura do the timing belt service asap. They charged me $900, half of what the Lexus dealer quoted me.

Since then, all these symptoms have disappeared and the vehicle has performed exactly as it should since the timing belt was replaced. Sexy Lexy went from driving "like brand new" to "like it just came off the showroom floor" and now I accidentally find myself leaving traffic several blocks behind me once I reach cruising speed after coming from a stop light.
Wow that was quite a bit. I paid 400 to the guy that owned a small shop, after giving him a RockAuto Aisin TKT030 timing belt kit and cam seals and crank seals along with a new T-Stat. I had to shop around for awhile before getting that good of a rate though, most places wanted 550-600 for labor.
Old 04-13-17, 11:09 PM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
Wow that was quite a bit. I paid 400 to the guy that owned a small shop, after giving him a RockAuto Aisin TKT030 timing belt kit and cam seals and crank seals along with a new T-Stat. I had to shop around for awhile before getting that good of a rate though, most places wanted 550-600 for labor.
It was quite a bit. That shop gave me the lowest quote. Everyone else wanted $1200 and up even though the original owner paid $650 at the dealer. Maybe it would have been a little less if I gave them the parts. They used mostly OEM everything. After joining Club Lexus, I'm shocked to find that purchasing and servicing a LS 400 here in Atlanta is more expensive than in other regions for whatever reason.

Last edited by lexslexus; 04-13-17 at 11:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
8055y (04-15-17)
Old 04-14-17, 11:02 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

When I did my belt it had around 100k on it and looked fine. No cracks or anything. However the pulley's all had worn/rough bearings which could have gone at any time and destroyed the belt. Even showed some signs of heat as in they may have already partially siezed at some point. Engine is much quieter since replacement.
Old 04-14-17, 02:22 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Did my first belt at 120k and it was fine Did the second at 180k since I had to go in and change the crank seal, I also did the water pump and idlers the second time.
Old 04-14-17, 02:46 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

1200 ??????? 1500????? Big deal how much do people pay to rent or buy a house today? Its like no one wants a person to make anything these days. If some slob in a shop is getting paid 100 bucks to do that job that is criminal. How much did he or she pay for their tools? Sorry it just kinda gets to me.
Old 04-14-17, 03:04 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I did mine at 120K when I bought the car. I also had to replace some other things such as the crank seal etc due to it leaking a lot of oil after the 2nd day of haveing it. Took it to the shop and got EVERYTHING done minor or not and have not had issues yet. Only issue I ran into a year later was a power steering leak but that's the only issue these cars seem to have. Other than that she purrs like new
Old 04-14-17, 09:29 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
1200 ??????? 1500????? Big deal how much do people pay to rent or buy a house today? Its like no one wants a person to make anything these days. If some slob in a shop is getting paid 100 bucks to do that job that is criminal. How much did he or she pay for their tools? Sorry it just kinda gets to me.
Apparently we are in the wrong line of work dicer.
Old 04-14-17, 09:46 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Took me two weekends and I still didn't do it 100% perfect..... the damn plastic air-seal/guard went sideways and didn't realize it until done.

Quick Reply: '99 timing belt