LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lazy Seat belt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17, 05:15 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
I purchased mine used from Ecology Auto parts in Phoenix, back when they were in business about a year ago. Its the same color tan as my interior but was pretty dirty. The car had 210k on it. Now the yard is owned by a private party and they remove the parts themselves, most likely charging 3-4x what a U pull it yard charges.

I paid less than $10 for the entire seatbelt assembly on a 50% off day they had once a month. About a year ago, I bought all the necessary parts for my LS400 as it was new to me and I wanted to fix it all up. I ended up getting a 96 gauge cluster for about $18 that day as well as rear brake rotors, nearly new, for 8 bucks a piece. I bought the cluster just in case one of my LED needles burns out since those are expensive to fix. I wanted to do a tune up as well, since the plug wires were last done at 89k back in 2005 according to the VIN records from Lexus Drivers website, so luckily I found relatively fresh NGK wires, caps and rotors for about 20 bucks total. I found some nice Depo clear headlights, bumper lights and corner lights all for $110. So it definitely pays to look through cars and find recently replaced parts at a JY for a fraction of the cost of new.

I have good luck searching on Row52.com for LS400s, the Pull N Save yards in Glendale and Phoenix always display what they have on hand and I think had a couple 97s in stock between the two places. You should see the Glendale yard, it has a fully stocked convenience store as you enter and the yard is fully paved.....definitely the nicest yard in the country by far I think.

Ok, Thanks I guess I will need to find one that has not been in a wreck? I found this one here (http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/JT8UF22E8S0034435). Would the 1995 seatbelt fit a 1996? Also where can I look for instructions to remove it?
Old 01-27-17, 10:53 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by winter4w
Ok, Thanks I guess I will need to find one that has not been in a wreck? I found this one here (http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/JT8UF22E8S0034435). Would the 1995 seatbelt fit a 1996? Also where can I look for instructions to remove it?
That one looks pretty good, I don't see any front end damage so you would expect the belts to be still in usable condition. If you do decide to go there, let me know, I might be interested in the Driver's belt since mine feels unsafe by doing the same thing yours is. And yes 95-97 should work, I'm unsure of 98-00 since that was the first year they did the mid model refresh, and by trial and error alone, I know the airbags were next generation on the steering wheel (I tried putting a wood wheel I found in my 97, didn't work) so some of the connectors might be different as well. I've got a 96 belt in my 97 and so far no dummy lights have popped up.

I was able to look it up futher and found out that westeringtowingaz.com auctioned it off two weeks ago (Jan 13) and they might know some of the history on the vehicle, and mileage and so on if you inquire about it. Plus, there is some writing on the windshield, so if you do go, i'm sure that there is some additional info on there. I also look in the inside upper left corner of the windshield for an oil change sticker to get a good idea of when the vehicle may have been on the road last. All these little clues help to get a better clue of the condition of some of the parts or how the vehicle was maintained to give you a better judgement of whether or not to purchase certain parts.
Old 01-28-17, 01:41 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

That one looks pretty good, I don't see any front end damage so you would expect the belts to be still in usable condition. If you do decide to go there, let me know, I might be interested in the Driver's belt since mine feels unsafe by doing the same thing yours is. And yes 95-97 should work, I'm unsure of 98-00 since that was the first year they did the mid model refresh, and by trial and error alone, I know the airbags were next generation on the steering wheel (I tried putting a wood wheel I found in my 97, didn't work) so some of the connectors might be different as well. I've got a 96 belt in my 97 and so far no dummy lights have popped up.

I was able to look it up futher and found out that westeringtowingaz.com auctioned it off two weeks ago (Jan 13) and they might know some of the history on the vehicle, and mileage and so on if you inquire about it. Plus, there is some writing on the windshield, so if you do go, i'm sure that there is some additional info on there. I also look in the inside upper left corner of the windshield for an oil change sticker to get a good idea of when the vehicle may have been on the road last. All these little clues help to get a better clue of the condition of some of the parts or how the vehicle was maintained to give you a better judgement of whether or not to purchase certain parts.

Yea I will let you know for sure when I check it out. If she is in "good shape" I may even take the motor in the steering wheel since my work but it overheats and stops and then I need to wait for it to cool down again before she will work again. The small clip on the rear seat has its top broken off. Not a safety issue just more of a cosmetic. And if they have the screw caps for the brake lights I may take two of those since those are missing. I also went on Lexus Drivers and looked up the vin. Looks like she had 203,750 miles in 2012. And at 88K looks like new seatbelts were put in (same with mine). I attached a PDF of the report if your interested.

Before I go down there, do you know if there are any tutorials on taking the seatbelt off? Not that I mess up while taking it out. Also what tools would I should I bring to take it out?

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LEXUS PARTS CAR.pdf (139.9 KB, 211 views)
Old 01-29-17, 04:49 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Yea I will let you know for sure when I check it out. If she is in "good shape" I may even take the motor in the steering wheel since my work but it overheats and stops and then I need to wait for it to cool down again before she will work again. The small clip on the rear seat has its top broken off. Not a safety issue just more of a cosmetic. And if they have the screw caps for the brake lights I may take two of those since those are missing. I also went on Lexus Drivers and looked up the vin. Looks like she had 203,750 miles in 2012. And at 88K looks like new seatbelts were put in (same with mine). I attached a PDF of the report if your interested.

Before I go down there, do you know if there are any tutorials on taking the seatbelt off? Not that I mess up while taking it out. Also what tools would I should I bring to take it out?

Thanks
Thanks for the lookup, interesting, so they're 16 years old, and have at least 125k miles on them, most likely more since the records stopped in 2012. I did a search on lexls.com and couldn't find anything, nor on google either. I didn't find any replacement on mine so I think mine are original with 277k on them.

As for instructions, I was able to do it with the seat in place, but I had to move it all the way forward to get clearance for the buckle. So you might be better off removing the 4 bolts holding the seat down, then it'll give ample access for the wrench to get in there. If you bring a drill battery with you maybe you can somehow figure out how to move the seat forward all the way.

Or if you can't, try to get a slim ratcheting 10 or 12mm wrench to get the belt undone off the bottom of the B-pillar. You'll also need a 12pt I think 10, 12 or 14mm to get the anchor off near the upper portion of the B-pillar where it anchors up there on the electronic adjuster. I can't remember exactly which one, but it for sure was a 12pt not a conventional 6point bolt. I would bring an assortment of box end wrenches just in case.

If you're careful, you should be able to pry the B-pillar plastic off without breaking the tabs. I started from the bottom after removing the kick panels front and rear, but I think you're actually supposed to pry on the top of the B-pillar to get that piece off and then it comes off a bit easier. I think its just 3 trim pieces you'll need to remove.

Last edited by Losiracer2; 01-29-17 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-30-17, 01:46 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Thanks for the lookup, interesting, so they're 16 years old, and have at least 125k miles on them, most likely more since the records stopped in 2012. I did a search on lexls.com and couldn't find anything, nor on google either. I didn't find any replacement on mine so I think mine are original with 277k on them.

As for instructions, I was able to do it with the seat in place, but I had to move it all the way forward to get clearance for the buckle. So you might be better off removing the 4 bolts holding the seat down, then it'll give ample access for the wrench to get in there. If you bring a drill battery with you maybe you can somehow figure out how to move the seat forward all the way.

Or if you can't, try to get a slim ratcheting 10 or 12mm wrench to get the belt undone off the bottom of the B-pillar. You'll also need a 12pt I think 10, 12 or 14mm to get the anchor off near the upper portion of the B-pillar where it anchors up there on the electronic adjuster. I can't remember exactly which one, but it for sure was a 12pt not a conventional 6point bolt. I would bring an assortment of box end wrenches just in case.

If you're careful, you should be able to pry the B-pillar plastic off without breaking the tabs. I started from the bottom after removing the kick panels front and rear, but I think you're actually supposed to pry on the top of the B-pillar to get that piece off and then it comes off a bit easier. I think its just 3 trim pieces you'll need to remove.
So I went down there the other day and she was stripped clean lol. I attached some photos in case you see something interesting there. Looks like a lot of parts on the LS400 are valuable lol. I saw it had an engine cover and decided to take it for my car since I thought it looked cooler with it on. I also got some of those brake light screw caps that hide the screws the hold them in the trunk. I tried taking the rear seatbelt clip that sits on top of the seats but it broke. I believe it did have a instrument cluster still in there but other than that nothing else I saw I needed for my car.

Old 01-30-17, 03:21 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Yea, that one has been picked through pretty good. It must have had a clean interior for someone to take the seats. It's probably been in that yard for a while.

For future reference, you can't unbolt the front seats without powering the seat back and forth. To accomplish this I cut some thick gauge wire from another car that already has cut wiring harnesses and just wire my Milwaukee M12 battery straight to the battery cables. Then you're able to power the seats, check the mileage, test the radio and AC displays, etc etc etc... You can provide power to the seats through the fuse box or relay sockets as well but I never felt like looking through the wiring diagrams to see where it needed to be powered. You can't get to the track motor wiring without breaking the bottom seat molding apart so I avoid that.
The following users liked this post:
UNCNOR (01-30-17)
Old 01-31-17, 05:49 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

So I went down there the other day and she was stripped clean lol. I attached some photos in case you see something interesting there. Looks like a lot of parts on the LS400 are valuable lol. I saw it had an engine cover and decided to take it for my car since I thought it looked cooler with it on. I also got some of those brake light screw caps that hide the screws the hold them in the trunk. I tried taking the rear seatbelt clip that sits on top of the seats but it broke. I believe it did have a instrument cluster still in there but other than that nothing else I saw I needed for my car.
WOW! That was fast! Looks like we're both SOL on the belts off that car. One thing I'm curious about is the condition of the suspension components. Can you remember if the front end stuff was good? Mainly Upper Control Arms and struts, those two things are original on my car with 277k. The leather must've been in good condition for it to be gone so quickly.

Well that sucks, I'll be sure to be on the lookout for a tan 95-00 pass. seatbelt for you if I come across one.

Originally Posted by Banshee365
Yea, that one has been picked through pretty good. It must have had a clean interior for someone to take the seats. It's probably been in that yard for a while.

For future reference, you can't unbolt the front seats without powering the seat back and forth. To accomplish this I cut some thick gauge wire from another car that already has cut wiring harnesses and just wire my Milwaukee M12 battery straight to the battery cables. Then you're able to power the seats, check the mileage, test the radio and AC displays, etc etc etc... You can provide power to the seats through the fuse box or relay sockets as well but I never felt like looking through the wiring diagrams to see where it needed to be powered. You can't get to the track motor wiring without breaking the bottom seat molding apart so I avoid that.
That one was just put in the yard back on Jan 25th! Not even a week and its basically bare lol
Old 01-31-17, 02:56 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

That one was just put in the yard back on Jan 25th! Not even a week and its basically bare lol
Really? It say's Sept 2016 on the windshield but that may have been for the insurance company or from law enforcement. The car doesn't appear but have been wrecked, not in the front at least. Is GPD a local police dept? If the car has really only been there since Jan 25th most all of that stuff had to have been taken by one person, likely an eBay seller or something.
Old 01-31-17, 03:24 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

WOW! That was fast! Looks like we're both SOL on the belts off that car. One thing I'm curious about is the condition of the suspension components. Can you remember if the front end stuff was good? Mainly Upper Control Arms and struts, those two things are original on my car with 277k. The leather must've been in good condition for it to be gone so quickly.

Well that sucks, I'll be sure to be on the lookout for a tan 95-00 pass. seatbelt for you if I come across one.

Really? It say's Sept 2016 on the windshield but that may have been for the insurance company or from law enforcement. The car doesn't appear but have been wrecked, not in the front at least. Is GPD a local police dept? If the car has really only been there since Jan 25th most all of that stuff had to have been taken by one person, likely an eBay seller or something.

I may be going down there later this week since we have been taking apart another car lol. With the seats, one was laying on the ground, and the rear bottom seats were under some other car. I believe someone just did not want to fix it and sold it to them. There was no insurance paper explaining the cause. Was a smokers car tho since it had that odd smell in it plus the ashtrays were used. I found some seatbelts on ebay but they are asking $150+ for them. But I was shocked to see that car mostly stripped apart so fast. I do see on craigslist people selling parted LS400's so I may ask one of them if they have a working seatbelt.
Old 01-31-17, 03:46 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

So I have been looking around at parts sites and came across this: http://www.oemautopartsandaccessorie...6713e0c2d3975/

I am wondering does the LS400 have it in oak or ivory?
Old 01-31-17, 11:55 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

So I have been looking around at parts sites and came across this: http://www.oemautopartsandaccessorie...6713e0c2d3975/

I am wondering does the LS400 have it in oak or ivory?
I believe Oak would be the color. I remember taking apart a brown Toyota Sienna door handle which was needed for my parent's 03 and Oak was one of the colors as an option. I believe Ivory might be a very light, off white color which I don't believe was offered in any LS400, I did see it in a couple Avalons though
Old 02-02-17, 02:22 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

I believe Oak would be the color. I remember taking apart a brown Toyota Sienna door handle which was needed for my parent's 03 and Oak was one of the colors as an option. I believe Ivory might be a very light, off white color which I don't believe was offered in any LS400, I did see it in a couple Avalons though
Good news got a new belt . It came off a 1997 LS400. The colors are a bit off the original belt but its not that noticeable. Since Losiracer2 you live in AZ also ill PM you the link to the ad. Now all I need to do is install it. I posted a picture of it.
Old 02-07-17, 12:25 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

UPDATE:

So I went to get the belt replaced and looks like it did not fit my car

Guess I am back on the hunt for another belt
Old 02-08-17, 04:55 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

UPDATE:

So I went to get the belt replaced and looks like it did not fit my car

Guess I am back on the hunt for another belt
Are you sure that it doesn't fit? It looks very similar to my Driver side belt I replaced. Did you check the part number on it to see if its a match for your car? Let me know if you need help, I can take a look at it, as I've done it before on my car.

That's a bummer, would he at least give you your money back? Initially I found him on Craigslist when I first bought my car and needed LBJs due to mine having 1/2" of vertical play. He sold me some used ones, but they were from a parts car he had, claiming they were good. They ended up being junk and I demanded he refund my 30 bucks since mine were in better shape, he regretfully did. I didn't speak to him for about a year after that until I bought another spare alternator from him for my LS unknowingly it was him with another Craigslist ad. I bought it just in case the PS pump, leaks and shorts it out (preparing for the worst).

He most likely took it from a 90-94 model which I think is different.

Mine I got from a 96 fit, but I took a chance on it because I really wanted the safety of the plastic buckle being intact, vs mine with the broken plastic eye that the belt slides through. I fixed that aspect of it, but am having the same issue with the tension and slack as you are having whereas my old one hugged me tight when buckled.

Have you tried taking it to the dealer for inspection and seeing if they would warranty it? I took it to my local Bell Lexus and they inspected it, but I didn't hear anything after that. On my 93, 91 and 90 Honda Accord, they replaced the belts with brand new ones and it didn't cost me anything even 20+ years after the car was made.

Last edited by Losiracer2; 02-08-17 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-08-17, 11:59 AM
winter4w
Intermediate

Are you sure that it doesn't fit? It looks very similar to my Driver side belt I replaced. Did you check the part number on it to see if its a match for your car? Let me know if you need help, I can take a look at it, as I've done it before on my car.

That's a bummer, would he at least give you your money back? Initially I found him on Craigslist when I first bought my car and needed LBJs due to mine having 1/2" of vertical play. He sold me some used ones, but they were from a parts car he had, claiming they were good. They ended up being junk and I demanded he refund my 30 bucks since mine were in better shape, he regretfully did. I didn't speak to him for about a year after that until I bought another spare alternator from him for my LS unknowingly it was him with another Craigslist ad. I bought it just in case the PS pump, leaks and shorts it out (preparing for the worst).

He most likely took it from a 90-94 model which I think is different.

Mine I got from a 96 fit, but I took a chance on it because I really wanted the safety of the plastic buckle being intact, vs mine with the broken plastic eye that the belt slides through. I fixed that aspect of it, but am having the same issue with the tension and slack as you are having whereas my old one hugged me tight when buckled.

Have you tried taking it to the dealer for inspection and seeing if they would warranty it? I took it to my local Bell Lexus and they inspected it, but I didn't hear anything after that. On my 93, 91 and 90 Honda Accord, they replaced the belts with brand new ones and it didn't cost me anything even 20+ years after the car was made.

Yea I texted him, and he said he got it from a 1997 however what's odd it when I fist questioned him about it he said it was off a 96 lol. He said he has a friend with a 96 and will see if he can get that belt off of him and just trade them. If not he said he willrefund me.

I tried talking to my dealer and they told me if I contact the manufacturer/corporate they can pay for the part and it might be replaced for free. However, it will likely be a blue belt or some other off color.

Quick Reply: Lazy Seat belt?