LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Swapping guage clusters? 93-94

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-16, 04:23 AM
GasBuggy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping guage clusters? 93-94

Does anyone know the specifics involved? I'm curious how that works with the digital odometer. As you may have noticed from my eventually removed thread I was looking for another cluster to get some parts from. I ended up pulling one out of a wreck and it has a rebuild sticker on it from BBA. I paid $25 which is the cluster deal of the century. But, I'm wondering if I can just toss the whole thing in my car rather than totally disassemble it to get the temp gauge and tach needle out. I could plug it in and see what happens but I don't want to set off some type of tamper prevention security.
Old 10-06-16, 07:11 AM
Suprjdmbro
Rookie

Originally Posted by GasBuggy
Does anyone know the specifics involved? I'm curious how that works with the digital odometer. As you may have noticed from my eventually removed thread I was looking for another cluster to get some parts from. I ended up pulling one out of a wreck and it has a rebuild sticker on it from BBA. I paid $25 which is the cluster deal of the century. But, I'm wondering if I can just toss the whole thing in my car rather than totally disassemble it to get the temp gauge and tach needle out. I could plug it in and see what happens but I don't want to set off some type of tamper prevention security.

Your new odometer will show the mileage from the car it came out of, but no alarms or anything will go off, everything will still work as normal.
Old 10-06-16, 08:08 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

The odometer can be reprogrammed. There are DIY tutorials available for this on Toyota cars. It will involve taking apart the cluster. More details here:

Sources:Disclaimer: It’s perfectly okay to change your odometer reading by yourself. However, it is illegal to roll back or misrepresent the mileage without disclosing to a potential purchaser of your vehicle that the odometer has been tampered with.

Last edited by CELSI0R; 10-06-16 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-06-16, 09:10 AM
GasBuggy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Suprjdmbro
Your new odometer will show the mileage from the car it came out of, but no alarms or anything will go off, everything will still work as normal.
Thank you, this answers my question. Now I know the odometer assembly contains it's own information about mileage and doesn't reference another source. Good to know. I took apart the newly acquired cluster and removed the tach needle assembly and the temperature gauge, then I put my original cluster back together with these parts. It's actually a really easy job to do. Swapping the odometers so I could keep my mileage with the other cluster would have been a equally easy task. Anyone with common sense and some small screw drivers could do this work.
Old 10-06-16, 09:11 AM
GasBuggy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
The odometer can be reprogrammed. There are DIY tutorials available for this on Toyota cars. It will involve taking apart the cluster. More details here:

Sources:Disclaimer: It’s perfectly okay to change your odometer reading by yourself. However, it is illegal to roll back or misrepresent the mileage without disclosing to a potential purchaser of your vehicle that the odometer has been tampered with.

For some reason the links are not working. I would like to read it to understand the system better. Ah, found it on google. Yea, plain old EPROM chip setup.

Last edited by GasBuggy; 10-06-16 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-06-16, 11:47 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by GasBuggy
For some reason the links are not working. I would like to read it to understand the system better. Ah, found it on google. Yea, plain old EPROM chip setup.
Sorry for the inconvenience. Never had that happen before with the links. They should work now, but yes, they are just EPROM chips.