LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A question about alternator

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-16, 06:34 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts
Default A question about alternator

90 LS400, my Reillys rebuild ps pump blew the upper plug and snap ring up and of course dumped the fluid. So I'm wondering if anyone has ever run the engine in an LS with the alternator out, I need to move it after taking things off. Just wondering if any of the electronics is going to not like that. And yeah tape the wires etc. Thanks.
Old 08-31-16, 06:37 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Just to move it with the serp belt off essentially? I wouldn't hesitate to do so.
Old 08-31-16, 06:39 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Yeah but I will have the alternator unplugged and out to work on it and replace the pump as well.
Old 08-31-16, 07:00 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It'll be fine just don't run it more than 5 minutes at a time, then trickle charge it after.
Old 08-31-16, 07:34 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

it'll just run off the battery and not charge it. I wouldn't drive it more than a couple blocks and limit the electrical usage on it. Turn off all accessories and you should be able to run it a couple of minutes no problem.
Old 08-31-16, 08:24 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Yeah but I will have the alternator unplugged and out to work on it and replace the pump as well.
When my alternator went bad on my last road trip, I ran 50 miles to the next town on a new battery I bought. My bad alternator wasn't putting out anything, so wouldn't be much different. Have to watch cooling however.
Old 08-31-16, 08:51 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

90 LS400, my Reillys rebuild ps pump blew the upper plug and snap ring up and of course dumped the fluid. So I'm wondering if anyone has ever run the engine in an LS with the alternator out, I need to move it after taking things off. Just wondering if any of the electronics is going to not like that. And yeah tape the wires etc. Thanks.
Can we post something in big bold letters prominently placed, for new or existing members to the effect;"DO NOT BUY REBUILT PARTS FROM NON-OEM SUPPLIERS"

Failure of a power steering pump is a major safety issue.

If this forum cannot address safety risks of using random replacement parts from questionable sources , then what's the point??

Safety is worth it.
Old 08-31-16, 09:31 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I was concerned about any electronics connected to the top plug, I'll have to study it a bit. But yeah I know it will go ok with no belt been there done that. I just know how fussy some electronics can be when they don't have a resistance and have to dissipate power with in themselves, but if designed correctly they should compensate for the loss.
I've had good luck with most non oem parts, I don't know what happened why they didn't get the snap ring seated right or maybe the casting was broke there I don't know yet. The mess it made is a huge pain, and the cost to tow it too. I first thought it was a high pressure line, it popped when I turned to park and bumped the stop. And gee when I originally installed it I was going stop to stop to bleed it. The fixed idle air valve is holding good. Anyone know what a reman at lexus would cost?
Old 08-31-16, 09:48 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

I was concerned about any electronics connected to the top plug, I'll have to study it a bit. But yeah I know it will go ok with no belt been there done that. I just know how fussy some electronics can be when they don't have a resistance and have to dissipate power with in themselves, but if designed correctly they should compensate for the loss.
I've had good luck with most non oem parts, I don't know what happened why they didn't get the snap ring seated right or maybe the casting was broke there I don't know yet. The mess it made is a huge pain, and the cost to tow it too. I first thought it was a high pressure line, it popped when I turned to park and bumped the stop. And gee when I originally installed it I was going stop to stop to bleed it. The fixed idle air valve is holding good. Anyone know what a reman at lexus would cost?
You may say you've had good luck with aftermarket parts, until now. It's safe to say that if you bought an OEM pump this would not have happened. I bet the pump body was shot peened then painted (if it's painted) while it was being 'rebuilt' in China and the snap ring could no longer seat properly. Or they bent the hell out of the snap ring when doing their thing to it.
Old 09-01-16, 12:34 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

I think most stuff is rebuild in Mexico and I would bet even the more costly ones from Lexus too. Things are just way different now for car parts you may think your getting some top quality deal, but in the end it could be that both the non oem and the oem come from the same place.
Old 09-01-16, 05:29 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

The car may act funny with the open ground and lack of alternator signal to the ECU, but it should be fine for short trips.

That said, I personally wouldn't.
Old 09-01-16, 06:06 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

I think most stuff is rebuild in Mexico and I would bet even the more costly ones from Lexus too. Things are just way different now for car parts you may think your getting some top quality deal, but in the end it could be that both the non oem and the oem come from the same place.
The automotive aftermarket industry needs to be better regulated ...

A form certifying what parts were replaced and rebuult, relevant before/after tolerances/dimensions on wear components provided and affirmarively whether OEM including parts (and P.N.'s) used..

Otherwise, buy new, or have your existing part rebuilt using OEM parts..

This will actually save money., promote safety and provide peace of mind.

Otherwise continue to buy rebuilt P.S. pumps, steering racks, alternators and non OEM waterpumps, starters, wheel bearings, radiators, Hoses, Oxygen sensors, engine sensors, gaskets, seals, bearings, brake parts, etc. from the O'Reillys and AutoZones of the world to insure you have something to complain about

Rarely, if ever, has anyone told me they acquired a better aftermarket part than Toyota /Lexus...save for spark plugs or tires.

Last edited by YODAONE; 09-01-16 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-01-16, 12:21 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Lesson learned on buying from the auto parts rebuilt stock. Short term "fix" or those dumping the car off seem to be the usual motivators. Just enough to run then the next owner has the fun in replacing these short lived components. When the alternator in ours died, the car drove about 1 mile before dying in a parking lot. It was a good battery but the deep discharge killed it. After the alternator fix and battery recharge, it lasted one month before giving up. (The battery was maybe 3 years old.) I wouldn't do more than move the car into or out of the garage. The Optimas may be pretty robust but I still wouldn't test them that way.
Old 09-01-16, 07:00 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Looks like over $540 for an OEM pump, so does the dealer offer rebuilt ones?
Old 09-01-16, 07:38 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

If I needed a replacement pump I would pull a junk yard one (as long as it's OEM) and rebuild it with the kit from Lexus.

Quick Reply: A question about alternator