LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 LS400 - love it, but has a few issues....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-16, 04:08 PM
Stingroo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 LS400 - love it, but has a few issues....

Hi guys.

I've owned my LS400 for about six months now, and I really am enjoying it! But, it's got a few issues.

I picked it up January 1st with 171,000 miles on it. Now, as of just a few seconds ago, it's at 183,400. I drive. A lot. So I wanted to be comfortable - and so far, so good on that front, but I've run into some problems....

First up - my cigarette lighter doesn't work. It keeps blowing the 15 amp fuse. I took it apart and removed the nylon washer per a thread that I found here, but it still blows the fuse. Does anyone have any wiring diagrams for it, or any ideas?

Next - my airbag light is on, occasionally. Now, some background: when I bought the car, it wasn't on at all. Ever. Then, my alternator went dead from a power steering leak that looked like it had been unattended for quite some time. I knew all about that problem, so I replaced both. But when I put my battery back, the light has come on periodically ever since.

Lastly, for now - my car has the Nakimichi stereo. It's awesome. Or, it was. Now, if I turn it up ~40% or so, it starts to clip. I thought it was a problem with the amp, so I bought a known good used one, and it's still doing it. Head unit? The subwoofer itself? The highs work just fine, and I can turn it louder if I turn the bass **** all the way DOWN, but what fun is music missing an entire frequency range? It's not.

Anyway, glad to be around these parts. Would love some help. Thanks!
Old 06-15-16, 05:36 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I wish there was some good service information on the radio/ sound system in these cars. The lighter has to have a short in it to blow the fuse, when you have it out check for continuity with the socket empty, if you have continuity then that washer deal is not properly insulated. You need to have a scan tool or person with it to see if there is a code set for the airbag system and what the problem is. Unless you just want to go to the Toyota site and look up the manuals and then spend days trying to trace things down.
Old 06-15-16, 07:15 PM
Stingroo
Driver School Candidate

Where would I find the manuals? I can read a diagram - I don't mind.
Old 06-18-16, 12:10 PM
Stingroo
Driver School Candidate

Bump.

Lighter was shorted out. I'll buy another one. Problem solved. Now I have AC again - thank goodness!
Old 06-18-16, 06:41 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo....toyota.com%2F

Heres where to go for manuals. I have not done this yet, and don't know if there is anything here about the sound systems.
And if you ever do find anything about the sound systems please share it with me.
Old 06-22-16, 06:43 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

ive heard that sound form the stereo. when you start to turn it up it cuts in and out with clicks, almost sounds like a protection relay kicking in and out, I assume that's what it is. truth be told most people don't bother fixing the factory stereo and just replace it aftermarket cause these cars don't have Bluetooth and sport 6 disc CD changers that a lot of people don't use anymore as well as a cassette deck that NOBODY uses, thing is though the Nak system is incredible! it doesn't have the surround sound the new ones have but it blows the pants off the current ML system, even though its not as powerful as ML it sounds louder and cleaner. I had the Nak in my 90 Ls400 and nobody could believe that a factory stereo boomed like that in such an old car. it started doing that clipping thing so I put in a very nice aftermarket system in it but I regretted it because it never sounded as good as the Nak system..
Old 06-26-16, 11:57 AM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi there . I have a 1995 LS400. I also had the intermittent Airbag light come on. It was the spiral cable that was bad. Behind the steering wheel that handles electrics to rotating steering wheel. Ordered one OEM from Japan. AMAYAMA.COM . Was easy to change.
Old 06-26-16, 12:00 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikaelse
Hi there . I have a 1995 LS400. I also had the intermittent Airbag light come on. It was the spiral cable that was bad. Behind the steering wheel that handles electrics to rotating steering wheel. Ordered one OEM from Japan. AMAYAMA.COM . Was easy to change.
Why not explain how to change it. How much did it cost?
Old 06-26-16, 02:58 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
It would've been better if you asked him how he changed it instead of demanding that he tells you,maybe he'll respond back,maybe he wont,Good luck...
Old 06-27-16, 02:29 PM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default How to change it.

Originally Posted by dicer
Hi.
AMAYAMA charged 121 US$ for it . Toyota art nr 8430650120 . I am pretty sure I got a OEM part from them. Here in Sweden shipping and taxes is really expensive both from Japan and US. was about 210$ in total. If You are in US you can maybe buy it from there at an Ok price. I only found offers around 250$ though which would have cost me $$$ . I was really happy to find it in Japan at half price.
I took the old one apart for fun. It was a really advanced thing. Forget fixing it. The spring was a combined spring/circuitboard/ multiwirecable thing speced at five full turns.
I personally would not put in a used one nor a non oem one. But I can see that it could be an idea for some since the shift was not that difficult.
With some vigorous Google searching I found an instruction with images on how to do the exchange. I think 20+year old airbags are scary and I remember that the instruction explained how to handle an airbag correct and that common sense was not enough to do it right.....
You need basic tools and a puller. I used a home made simple one .
Old 06-27-16, 03:27 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I'm curious did you notice who the manufacture of the air bag was? But then I guess that was when they were all made in Japan, back in the years when they strived for quality.
Old 08-02-16, 10:50 PM
Stingroo
Driver School Candidate

Whoops - updates I guess...

Cig lighter - replaced it with an ebay unit. I broke it taking it apart, so that was annoying. Fixed.

Air bag light - still on. Meh. I'll get to that eventually.

Stereo issue - it was the woofer. Unplugged it and the issue went away. eBayed a tested good one and oh man is it nice to have that stereo system back.

Car has 187k on it now. lol Still enjoying it.
Old 08-03-16, 06:01 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Just keep plugging away at the little stuff as you have time and it will reward you with luxurious miles.
Just remember...they're old and need some attention occasionally. But I'd rather drive and older LS400 and deal with the maintenance than drive anything new... when I add the cost into the equation between those two options, the there is no comparison.
Old 08-03-16, 07:08 AM
Stingroo
Driver School Candidate

lol Oh trust me, I know all about that. I sell new cars for a living and everyone looks at me like I'm insane because I don't own one.

And I have no interest.

Now if only I could find a list of the error codes for the CD changer to get that functioning properly.... I have an EXCELLENT cassette adapter and love the full sound, but the CD experience is frustrating me. It gives me "ERR 16" after awhile and stops working. Having to reach over and eject the cartridge in such a large car is quite cumbersome.
Old 08-03-16, 09:58 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I have to admit... that cartridge is in the wrong place for driver access. The 430 moved it to the center of the dash and removed the magazine, which is good. Listening to CDs int he 400 requires forethought and planning...