LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1992 Lexus LS400 - All warning lights simultaneously stay on after starting the car

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-16, 10:22 PM
PickupStix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Lexus LS400 - All warning lights simultaneously stay on after starting the car

Hey all.

1992 Lexus LS400. Noticed this problem this morning. After I cranked the engine to start the car, the following warning lights won't turn off and they stay off, even though I don't see anything obvious happening under the hood:

Parking Brake Light - I haven't had issues with my brakes nor any sign they were going bad); no issues using the Emergency/Parking brake either, but engaging and disengaging the brake won't turn it off.
Coolant Reservoir - Checked coolant levels and it looks filled, also checked the temp of my car and it's at optimal levels while it's running
Check Oil - I had my oil changed 300 miles ago
Battery Bad - I changed my battery in February

These lights shut off when I turn the car off.

Any idea what's causing this? Is the alternator bad? I do have a minor power steering pump leak but I've had that leak since I got this car 2+ years ago. I don't have any issues with the lights in my car dimming or my radio cutting out when I drive like I did with my 92 Camry when its alternator was going bad. I don't see the warning lights flickering while I'm driving either.

Help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-19-16, 12:36 AM
qha_vn
Pole Position

very likely that the alternator has gone
Old 04-19-16, 01:17 PM
PickupStix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by qha_vn
very likely that the alternator has gone
I thought if the alternator is failing it would cause the battery light to go on and not all the other lights?
Old 04-19-16, 03:09 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Check all battery terminal connections, and ground connection to engine.
Old 04-19-16, 11:48 PM
LPMahonen
Driver School Candidate

I had the same symptoms last summer and took the car to local Toyota dealer, it was indeed the alternator that had gone bad. I had it changed and all was good again. The explanation to all those warning lights switching on was that those sensor are sending voltage information and when the alternator is bad, the voltage in the system goes down causing the warning lights to switch on.
Old 04-20-16, 05:42 PM
PickupStix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LPMahonen
I had the same symptoms last summer and took the car to local Toyota dealer, it was indeed the alternator that had gone bad. I had it changed and all was good again. The explanation to all those warning lights switching on was that those sensor are sending voltage information and when the alternator is bad, the voltage in the system goes down causing the warning lights to switch on.
Yep, car died spectacularly last night, taking it into the mechanic. That's exactly what I experienced. Windshield wiper had no power, air from AC was weak, stereo kept cutting out. The moment I hit a stop the car died. I was able to get a jump start from a good samaritan but the car died the instant I drove into my apartment's parking lot.

How many hours of labor do you all estimate for a job like this?
Old 04-20-16, 05:49 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

alternator job isn't too difficult so to a competent mechanic, expect to pay about 1-2hr of labor.

however what lead to the failure of the alternator is most likely a leaking power steering reservoir which resides above the alternator. that needs to be repaired as well or you will be replacing another alternator soon in the future. it could be as simple as a $3 o-ring at the bottom of the reservoir.
Old 04-20-16, 05:57 PM
PickupStix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
alternator job isn't too difficult so to a competent mechanic, expect to pay about 1-2hr of labor.

however what lead to the failure of the alternator is most likely a leaking power steering reservoir which resides above the alternator. that needs to be repaired as well or you will be replacing another alternator soon in the future. it could be as simple as a $3 o-ring at the bottom of the reservoir.
Yeah, I know my power steering has been leaking for awhile. I've been getting by just refilling the power steering reservoir but I was told it was the rack & pinion that needed to be replaced to fix that leak. If the rack & pinion was leaking would that be leaking onto the alternator?
Old 04-20-16, 06:02 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

negative, the rack and pinion is located at the lowest point of the engine bay. you might have a leak on the power steering pump/reservoir as well. when the alternator is removed, you will be able to tell if a PS leak caused the alternator to fail. as i stated, it is very common!
Old 04-20-16, 06:18 PM
PickupStix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
negative, the rack and pinion is located at the lowest point of the engine bay. you might have a leak on the power steering pump/reservoir as well. when the alternator is removed, you will be able to tell if a PS leak caused the alternator to fail. as i stated, it is very common!
Understood. I'll have them check it out, should be fairly obvious - would it cost more in labor to get that replaced? Maybe an extra hour or so?