LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1999 LS: Rebuilt Power Steering Pump Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 01:22 PM
Beberle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 LS: Rebuilt Power Steering Pump Problems

My son's 99 LS400 w/ 150k miles just experienced an alternator failure. I replaced the alternator and power steering pump at the same time (plenty of old fluid covering the alternator). The power steering pump is a rebuild from AutoZone.
Problem: I'm 99% sure I bled the PS system fully. No noise, no foam/bubbles. However, at idle, the power steering pump seems to surge and pulse when turning the wheel at parking lot speeds. In park, the symptoms disappear at about 1000-1200rpms.
I plugged the ACV port with an oil drain plug. From reading posts this shouldn't have any effect. Is it a possible bad power steering pump? I wouldn't think there's a break-in period, but this is the 1sr PS pump I've replaced.

All input welcome!
Brian
Old 04-07-16, 08:37 PM
Tonyucf20
Rookie

Try this. Make sure the system is full of fluid. start the car and turn the steering wheel all the way one way and lock it for a couple of seconds and then turn it all the way the opposite direction and do the same. Try doing this 5 time to each side. Turn off the car start it up again and see if it still is doing it. sounds to me like you still might have air in the systerm
Old 04-07-16, 11:49 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

99 LS400 P.S. pump started leaking at 145k. Weighed pro and con new vs. used/rebuilt.

Elected to replace with a brand new P.S. pump from Lexus..around $400..over double rebuild price.

Quiet, smooth, no issues for another 150k

You never know the conditionof the core used for rebuilds..what was replaced other than o-rings and a bearing..highly unlikely replaced components are from Toyota/Lexus OEM supplier...and Autozone does not advise tolerances of other internals for comparison, or whether specs are in range contained in Lexus shop manual.

Also, if Lexus pump fails within warranty period, the replacement is a new part and not a random rebuild.
Old 04-08-16, 04:15 AM
Beberle
Driver School Candidate

I've gone lock-to-lock about 100 times. With the engine off as well as running. Tires off the ground and on. Holding at lock for several seconds and not. The fluid level hasn't changed since I initially bled the system.
Not sure if this is normal, but I left the reservoir cap off once while engine was running and made a mess. Looks like fluid surged up. Maybe 1/8" of the reservoir.
Old 04-08-16, 05:39 AM
Tonyucf20
Rookie

Originally Posted by Beberle
I've gone lock-to-lock about 100 times. With the engine off as well as running. Tires off the ground and on. Holding at lock for several seconds and not. The fluid level hasn't changed since I initially bled the system.
Not sure if this is normal, but I left the reservoir cap off once while engine was running and made a mess. Looks like fluid surged up. Maybe 1/8" of the reservoir.
ya with it running you dont want to have the cap on. Well if the car is doing the same thing after doing all that i would recommend taking it back for warranty
Old 04-08-16, 06:13 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

remove the end of the return line from the pump and hold it over the reservoir..have someone start the car and watch the fluid flow..should be a nice stream, like a 20 year old taking a ****..not a 85 year old with prostate issues. if its spits and sputters u have blockage. that pump u bought was rebuilt by BBB most likely..they are plagued with qc problems.
Old 04-08-16, 01:06 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I'd have to day I'm close to experiencing the same problem and about come to the conclusion it's the pump....

I replaced the pump on my 98, bled the system and have not had a problem. I purchased a rebuild from O-Reilly's... I have had previous poor results with Autozone and drive past them on my way to O'Reillys.

My son in law had the pump replaced on his 2000 Tundra and a few weeks later, it's back doing the same thing as before. Looks like it's working, but does not assist the turning at all.
I'm about ready to replace the one in the Tundra as I don't know the source of the prior replacement.... but it really should work longer than a few weeks.
I think you got a bad pump and you just need to replace it.... again.
Old 04-10-16, 06:11 PM
Beberle
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem Solved

I fixed the problem by installing a brand spanking new OEM pump. Took 5 minutes to bleed the system. Immediately felt 'normal' at parking lot speeds.
5 hours of my time wasted having to re-do work because of a faulty pump from AutoZone. The Lexus parts manager said that tolerances were so tight that most rebuilds have the same problem. If OEM will last another 150k miles, I guess it's worth the $450.
Old 04-11-16, 07:24 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Glad you were able to fix the problem but know certainly know the hassle/time of having to replace bad parts form Autozone.
I'm sure the second install was faster...
Old 04-12-16, 07:28 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

450 is a great price!
Old 08-31-19, 04:48 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Worth taking my failing oem ps pump and rebuilding for a future replacement?
Old 08-31-19, 05:24 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Worth taking my failing oem ps pump and rebuilding for a future replacement?
Are you positive it's an OE, original to the car, pump? This is such a prevalent problem any LS with 100k to 150k miles has prob already had it replaced. So if you bought your car used...
Old 08-31-19, 05:38 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by bradland
Are you positive it's an OE, original to the car, pump? This is such a prevalent problem any LS with 100k to 150k miles has prob already had it replaced. So if you bought your car used...
Yes I am sure
Old 08-31-19, 06:39 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Yes I am sure
Oh cool, so you bought the car new...?
Old 08-31-19, 06:49 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by bradland
Oh cool, so you bought the car new...?
Only new cars can have them? Would've been 12 when this one came out lmao

However back on topic, would it be worth rebuilding or just getting another?

Quick Reply: 1999 LS: Rebuilt Power Steering Pump Problems