LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Midnight Indigo UCF10 checking in

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-15, 12:37 AM
ChiliTM
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Midnight Indigo UCF10 checking in

Hi everyone, my actual name is Chili and a few weeks ago I picked up a '93 LS with 100k miles. Been a member for a minute but never said anything so I thought I'd give an introduction.

I previously had a '97 Ford Ranger that my dad bought new, 4 cyl 5 speed in Cayman Green. Learned manual on it and drove it for 3 years. I had plans to perfect the paint, lower it mildly, and find a nice set of classic JDM wheels to put on it. It had 149,8XX miles and was probably the cleanest Ranger you'd see on the road before I got tboned by a distracted driver, a definite total loss.

Midnight Indigo UCF10 checking in-g5qfijo.jpg

I came out with zero injuries, not even any bruises, but that wreck rocked my world for about a week. It felt like I lost a good friend. All the memories my dad and I made in the truck when I was young then all the memories I made in the years I drove it were shattered. I just had to tell myself everything happens for a reason and move on.

Fast forward a few weeks and insurance definitely came in clutch and took care of me with double the max of $2200 I was expecting. I've wanted a SC400 or LS400 for the past two years and always searched around for one despite not being in a position to get one. I searched auto trader for two weeks after the wreck before finding my car pop up one night in North Carolina, a 2 owner 98k mile 1993 LS400 in Midnight Indigo Pearl, pretty much the exact car I was looking for. One week, some calls to the dealership, and a 1000 mile round trip later, I have one of my dream cars.

Don't have any solid interior pics yet but you get the idea

Midnight Indigo UCF10 checking in-6izqqpu.jpg

I've enjoyed it so far and all my friends dig it. It's about to roll over to 102k miles and I'm looking into the big timing belt/water pump/tensioners service. Runs great and packs quite a punch for being 190 hp and moving 3900 pounds. The paint will be fully corrected and ceramic coated soon, I'm also planning to get the rear two resonators taken out.

Because this car is so clean, cleaner than I could have ever expected, I've been conflicted on whether I should mod it or not. Lots of people tell me I should but others say I shouldn't. I won't be doing anything too extreme, I want everything returnable to OEM should I decide to move on and I want to keep the body as stock and straight as possible so no pulled/flared fenders. Everything in good taste. Coilovers set to a mild drop (no slamming here) and a nice set of wheels is all I'm thinking. Otherwise it will be staying untouched. I totally understand those against modding as I'm the same way with S13 240s, but I also know that there are ways to do it without ruining an excellent car.

Anyway, tl;dr I wrecked my truck and bought a clean-*** LS. Glad to join the club after 2 years of dreaming! More pictures on the way if anyone wants?
Old 12-28-15, 02:29 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Welcome to this site.
And please don't remove or mod a thing, That is in such nice shape. If you gotta mod something the truck is the place to start, plus you can learn body work on it. If you mod the LS some day you will regret it. All value is lost doing any mods on them. Craigslist is full of modified kids cars that no one ever wants. Why because they know things are messed up. The undersides are pounded out from lowering, the electrics is messed up from cutting wires and drilling holes for sound systems. And the list can go on. It would be a huge shame to mess that car up.
You would be better off doing the correction and protectant, and cleaning it better and trying to sell it for 6 or 7 K on Ebay. That truck is an easy fix then slam it you never have to worry about bending it.

8J5 and only for 93 and 94, that's a very nice color I don't think I have ever seen it before.
To replace any ruined exhaust piping will cost up to 3,000 for 1 part. So think very hard before cutting them. I think they are stainless steel. To return a messed up car back to factory is a horrible expense. And if these cars were 50 years old you would see a Graveyard cars show for LS's.

Last edited by dicer; 12-28-15 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-28-15, 06:22 AM
Nishy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
And please don't remove or mod a thing
Unusually, I agree with Dicer here... that's a rare color and it looks to be in really good shape. I would restore it to brand new condition (including interior) and keep it as is... and that's coming from someone who slammed one of these 1/4" off the ground... you have a beautiful car.
Old 12-28-15, 09:04 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new ride, Here I thought that the Black Jade on mine was rare, but that is extremely rare and I think it really suits the LS400, I would advise to keep it stock. Restore it, detail it, and you'll have a show car.
Old 12-28-15, 11:15 AM
ChiliTM
Driver School Candidate

My truck is long gone by now

I do love these cars in their stock form, but honestly I've looked forward to having my own to mod how I wanted for a long time. Right now I see it two ways: restore it to showroom level quality and drive it for a while then sell it for top value to someone who may or may not take care of it to my same standards, or keep it for years or even forever and do a few things to it to make it mine while keeping it one of the most well-cared for LS' on the road.

Name:  IMG_4891.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  143.2 KB

I found this while browsing stanceworks and it's a pretty good idea of what I'd want mine to look like. Not crazy low or crazy fitted just all around clean, while holding on to every OEM part I replace. Like I said I understand where you're coming from, but if I'm driving it for the indefinite future I feel like I should be able to do things to it guilt-free. Just my thoughts, and believe me, I've thought long and hard about it.

By the way a buddy of mine just bought my twin

Midnight Indigo UCF10 checking in-d2ynzbg.jpg
Old 12-28-15, 12:09 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I know its a kid thing to want to mess a car up with mods. I say you and your friend be trend setters and be different. The things you want to do to make it different, in reality are the same things all the kids do. You will be doing nothing different. If you want to make it "yours" get a personalized license plate. And wow 2 original cars with no sh___ty window tint. Nice.
Remember if any car is lowered, you always run the chance of scraping the bottom side. I don't get it.
Old 12-28-15, 01:29 PM
KJG92
Pole Position

Make it yours and enjoy the heck out of it. Keep the original parts, especially the wheels/tires, cause you will get zero as a return on your investment (well, it's not really a investment, it's a depreciating asset). When you want to move on, return it to stock and sell your mods as you'll come out better. You bought a really nice car, in a really nice color, unfortunately you didn't buy a desirable collector car as there is not a real high demand for them. To find them as nice as yours is rare though. I love the parking garage picture. It has a nice stance and those wheels on it look right. Look forward to seeing what you do to it.
Old 12-28-15, 03:01 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Do what you want to personalize it but keep the parts you remove.I kept mine stock for 10 years before I lowered it slightly and put 19s on it.
Old 12-28-15, 03:23 PM
ChiliTM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
mess a car up with mods
I've seen you while browsing other threads and I know your opinion on mods, but when you say any mod ruins a car it's hard to really respect your opinion. What harm is done by dropping it a few inches and swapping the wheels? I would lower it to get rid of some fender gap and make it sit nicely, not to be "the lowest", not because I'm some stancebro trying to scrape my way into the scene, and most certainly not because I'm trying to ruin my car.

You don't seem to understand, my car has been very well taken care of through its life, but it's just entered a new chapter where it will get pampered like none other. That's what real enthusiasts do. I wouldn't have just payed 6 grand and drove 1000 miles to get this car if it meant nothing to me. I know what I have and I know why I wanted it. Say what you will about mods, but just know that my car will never be "ruined" in my hands.
Old 12-28-15, 03:39 PM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I must admit I appreciate a stock LS as much as the next guy but that stanceworks pic = yum
Old 12-28-15, 04:27 PM
KJG92
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ChiliTM
I've seen you while browsing other threads and I know your opinion on mods, but when you say any mod ruins a car it's hard to really respect your opinion. What harm is done by dropping it a few inches and swapping the wheels? I would lower it to get rid of some fender gap and make it sit nicely, not to be "the lowest", not because I'm some stancebro trying to scrape my way into the scene, and most certainly not because I'm trying to ruin my car.

You don't seem to understand, my car has been very well taken care of through its life, but it's just entered a new chapter where it will get pampered like none other. That's what real enthusiasts do. I wouldn't have just payed 6 grand and drove 1000 miles to get this car if it meant nothing to me. I know what I have and I know why I wanted it. Say what you will about mods, but just know that my car will never be "ruined" in my hands.

According to him, the car I bought for my son is ruined cause we trimmed and rolled the rear quarters. His sits on H&R springs and has 18's. What is mis understood is that people that go to look at a 20+ year old import are not crawling these cars like a collectible. Most of these cars are 1500-3500 and are in the upper 100k mileage range. They'll never have collector status unless it is celebrity owned or some crazy low mileage early production number. I paid $3 grand for his. I checked for leaks, checked the body and interior. Looked over the service history and drove it. I didn't crawl under it check for scrapes or checked for mods. It was a $3k car and will never be worth more than that. Enjoy your ride. It looks like you got a good one.
Old 12-28-15, 09:13 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

Welcome, ChiliTM!

I've been wondering if you were already a part of this community, as I have been following your 93' LS ever since your first Instagram post [even though I don't have an Instagram.. I stumbled upon your photos]. I must say, you found a very beautiful example.

As it has been mentioned, you have a very rare example in your hands. From the Midnight Indigo Pearl, to the chrome 16" rims... Wow. I've been happy to see that you've been taking great care of the car these past few months!

The paint correction and ceramic coating you mentioned will be amazing!.. It's something I've wanted to have done to mine, but I just don't have the funds. Please post before and after pictures, if possible. I would really like to see the difference.

Concerning mods, there was a time when I first got my LS that I considered doing different things, such as lowering the suspension slightly and updating the rims to a set of 98' 16" wheels. I realized a few things, though:

1. I can be a perfectionist... If I got a scratch or a dent on any aftermarket parts, which has happened to the car itself from regular use, I would go crazy about it. I stick to touch-up paint and a few regular detailing tools.
2. Toyota did such a great job designing this car, that I couldn't make it look much better (most people I've spoken to think it's a 2005-2007 model, because of it's timeless styling)
3. Toyota's bullet-proof 1UZ-FE is from a time where quality was held above performance
4. The LS400 is just comfortable (sound insulation is soothing for when you just need a break)
5. I didn't have that kind of money.

With this said, there exist great builds and modifications for these cars, and I respect the work and creativity of different owners. I've just discovered that it's not for me.

So, once again, welcome to ClubLexus!

In my own views, originality is definitely something, but these cars are already a rare sight on the road. Don't let me stop you, though. To each, their own.

Last edited by CELSI0R; 12-29-15 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 12-28-15, 11:01 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

OR... restore this one back to a stock gem and then... find a semi-beat up UCF10/20 and mod the crap out of it. As someone mentioned earlier, you can find a nice running LS that simply needs cosmetic work for fairly cheap and do whatever the hell you want to it. Good luck bro!
Old 12-29-15, 01:32 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Lexus sold THOUSANDS of LS400s. Toyota and Lexus keep a few stock low mileage examples in their collections for safe keeping.

You do whatever you want with it, it's your car. Play to your wants, nobody else's. You have exactly 0 obligation to only mod less than perfect cars.

Mod it or Restore it or whatever combination of the two. at the end of the day you're the one who has to look at it and be satisfied with how you spent your time and money.
Old 12-29-15, 01:40 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ChiliTM
. What harm is done by dropping it a few inches and swapping the wheels?.
After you do it, and go over some speed bump or a what ever bump or pot hole, or goofed up entry into a parking lot, then you can answer the question for me.

Everyone says keep the original parts, remember a new exhaust that you want to cut is about 3000 or so from the dealer. Maybe buy some pipes at an auto parts house and weld up your own.

They aren't collector cars until only a few thousand or so are left.

I really never thought my old 100 dollar 55 chev would ever be worth a thing, in 1972. Nor did I think my 1958 Corvette that I paid 1200 for would go for 60,000 in the now time, I would have kept it. They weren't collector cars either.
3 years ago I would have helped cut any old lexus up and do super mods to it, I didn't care about them.
I can and do like tasteful mods on certain vehicles. But never on a super good survivor. I would be the first to say there is plenty that needs changing even on a LS. And at one time I was thinking of doing a modification and trying to patent it on the old 90 ls, I figured it really could use the mod.
I see lots of weak points on these older LS's and don't understand why in the pursuit of perfection that they didn't figure it out then. Good luck on your mods and have fun with it. I don't like 93's anyway.

Last edited by dicer; 12-29-15 at 02:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Midnight Indigo UCF10 checking in