LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Front strut reinstallation - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-15, 05:43 AM
UNCJD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front strut reinstallation - Help!

Following the lexls.com front strut replacement tutorial, I was able to get the original Jell-O piece out of the car, get the cartridge out, and get everything screwed back together without killing myself. At that point, I thought the hard part was over; because reinstallation is the reverse of removal, right?

My problem is that the new assembly doesn't want to go back in. The lower control arm hangs at a downward angle, and there's the bracket where the bottom of the strut bolts on. If you're sitting in the passenger seat and can magically see through to this assembly, you would see the bottom of the strut stuck on the right side of that bracket. There's a big ol' nut in the way that the bottom of the strut has to clear to get to the other side and the hole where I can put the bolt back in. This same nut created a problem getting the strut out, but I was able to apply leverage with a crowbar and floor jack to compress the assembly and get it over the nut. Unfortunately, the geometry is such that I can't use the same angles to push it back where it needs to be. Before I ran out of time this morning, I resorted to reinstalling the spring compressors and trying to shorten the assembly that way. So far, it's not working.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious; that's my stock in trade when it comes to cars. Does anybody here know the easy trick for getting this assembly back in the car after it's out? Everything I've found online just says "reinstallation is the reverse of removal." I've been at for over 2 hours now, though, and the thing doesn't want to be reinstalled. Any suggestions?
Old 10-15-15, 05:45 AM
UNCJD
Rookie

To help clarify what I'm talking about, I have a 1995 LS400 without air suspension.
Old 10-15-15, 04:10 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you try turning the wheel all the way one way or the other? I had to turn the wheel to get them out. I didn't have issues going in or out aside from being dumb and mis-aligning the hat on one of them.
Old 10-15-15, 04:54 PM
UNCJD
Rookie

Originally Posted by djamps
Did you try turning the wheel all the way one way or the other? I had to turn the wheel to get them out. I didn't have issues going in or out aside from being dumb and mis-aligning the hat on one of them.
Djamps...thanks! I'll be out there tomorrow morning to give that a try!
Old 10-16-15, 01:15 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Take off the link from the stabilizer bar and pry down the control arm with a 2x2 or something similar, don't use metal it scratches and gouges, any of that can mean either rust or a place for a crack to form you don't want either. 6mm allan wrench holds the shank for the ball on the link I think same size on a 95.

Last edited by dicer; 10-24-15 at 11:09 PM. Reason: I changed 8mm to 6mm
Old 10-16-15, 05:43 PM
UNCJD
Rookie

Originally Posted by dicer
Take off the link from the stabilizer bar and pry down the control arm with a 2x2 or something similar, don't use metal it scratches and gouges, any of that can mean either rust or a place for a crack to form you don't want either. 8mm allan wrench holds the shank for the ball on the link I think same size on a 95.
Thanks, Dicer. That darn thing beat me again this morning. Unfortunately, I've already been at it with my pry bar. I went out and squirted the link nut with Liquid Wrench. Hopefully it'll play ball with me in the morning.
I miss driving this thing.
Old 10-16-15, 05:54 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

If your doing the spring reassembly over the strut, you have to line things up real good, I'm making a special tool to do that, if they aren't lined real close it will be real hard to fit the lower bolt etc. these are not like the McPherson strut where the top mount turns.
Old 10-17-15, 06:00 AM
UNCJD
Rookie

If your doing the spring reassembly over the strut, you have to line things up real good, I'm making a special tool to do that, if they aren't lined real close it will be real hard to fit the lower bolt etc. these are not like the McPherson strut where the top mount turns.
Let us know when you've got that tool available. I've had to reapply the compressors twice to get it lined up. Wite-out is essential.

Before anybody comments on how intellectually deficient I am when I share this next bit, listen: I know, okay? There's a reason some folks are pro mechanics and others aren't.
So here you go: after 5plus hours of trying everything, it hit me that I ONLY JACKED UP AND SUPPORTED ONE SIDE OF THE CAR!!! When I jacked the other side, bam, it went right in.
Funny, huh?
Old 10-17-15, 08:45 AM
UNCJD
Rookie

Let us know when you've got that tool available. I've had to reapply the compressors twice to get it lined up. Wite-out is essential.

Before anybody comments on how intellectually deficient I am when I share this next bit, listen: I know, okay? There's a reason some folks are pro mechanics and others aren't.
So here you go: after 5plus hours of trying everything, it hit me that I ONLY JACKED UP AND SUPPORTED ONE SIDE OF THE CAR!!! When I jacked the other side, bam, it went right in.
Funny, huh?
Old 10-17-15, 08:58 AM
djamps
Intermediate

<edit> OK so basically your suspension wasn't fully extended b/c the stabilizer was holding it up due to the other side being loaded?
Old 10-19-15, 10:52 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

yep, you need to relieve the entire front suspension from tension/load by lifting both sides off the ground. the sway bar will inhibit movement of the arm if only one side is up as stated.

this is why removing the sway bar endlinks relieves the tension then you can reinstall the strut. you should be able to install the struts without removing the endlinks if you lift both wheels off the ground.
Old 10-19-15, 10:58 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by UNCJD
I ONLY JACKED UP AND SUPPORTED ONE SIDE OF THE CAR!!! When I jacked the other side, bam, it went right in.
Funny, huh?
Part of the learning process.
Old 10-19-15, 11:17 AM
Nishy
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
this is why removing the sway bar endlinks relieves the tension then you can reinstall the strut. you should be able to install the struts without removing the endlinks if you lift both wheels off the ground.
+1 I changed both of my front struts no problem after I disconnected the sway bar links and only jacked up one side. I didnt even try with them connected haha
Old 10-19-15, 11:23 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

With both wheels off the ground I still need the link off for clearance.
The tool is a long enough square or rectangular steel tube with a proper nut welded on one surface at the end, and then a piece of small angle iron and a c clamp.
The purpose of the tool is to align 2 of the studs with the bottom bolt hole.

Last edited by dicer; 10-19-15 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-19-15, 09:07 PM
djamps
Intermediate

I lifted the whole front and had no issues BUT it's a 98 I dunno if it's different than yours.