LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

window motor/ loose connector HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-15, 03:57 PM
Nishy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window motor/ loose connector HELP

Ok im at a loss here... I have a 90 and my driver side window just didnt go up. It goes down no problem and i can hear the motor working trying to go up but nothing moves. I took off the door panel and found this connector not connected to anything.
Little two prong plug looks like it would attach to the left somewhere. What on earth happened? Again, I hear the motor trying to move up and down but the regulator will not move up without me manually pulling it
Old 10-14-15, 03:12 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Must be something wrong with the regulator or the slides for the window, not sure what the plug is for unless its for the door lock motor, or light does the car have driver memory option? Who ripped the plastic, its to keep any water off the door panel.

Last edited by dicer; 10-14-15 at 03:15 AM.
Old 10-14-15, 08:10 AM
Nishy
Rookie

Originally Posted by dicer
Must be something wrong with the regulator or the slides for the window, not sure what the plug is for unless its for the door lock motor, or light does the car have driver memory option? Who ripped the plastic, its to keep any water off the door panel.
All of the electronics work fine and yes it does have driver memory. That plug could be the door light maybe... The plastic had a big tear in it there before I did anything so I just tore up to the silicone seal and around the edge. I can reseal it when It's fixed.
Old 10-14-15, 01:35 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

There is no silicon seal around it. Its a butyl rubber that is sticky, tacky, gooey, etc. Lexus did not use a drop of silicon anyplace on the body at least in those years. Silicon on any car body is a no no. Well I guess some waxes have it though. RTV is the worse stuff in the world to completely remove especially if you plan to paint where it was. Did you find the problem yet?
Old 10-14-15, 03:59 PM
Nishy
Rookie

There is no silicon seal around it. Its a butyl rubber that is sticky, tacky, gooey, etc. Lexus did not use a drop of silicon anyplace on the body at least in those years. Silicohttps://youtu.be/0CqpULVAnzAn ohttps://youtu.be/0CqpULVAnzAany car body is a no no. Well I guess some waxes have it though. RTV is the worse stuff in the world to completely remove especially if you plan to paint where it was. Did you find the problem yet?
That f'n sucks. The PO had aftermarket speakers put in and iguess they screwed it up then... im pretty sure its the motor going bad. Heres a video of me explaining it all so let me know what you think.
Old 10-15-15, 02:45 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

I have not had the opportunity to play with an LS window regulator yet. But if the motor works both ways and there isn't power to move the window up, then there is a drive clutch or something similar that is slipping, either there is too much load to lift the window or the clutch is worn out. I tried rewatching the video and it went blank so didn't want to try that again.
Yeah its amazing the things that end up getting messed up for worthless coolness, then after they mess it up they off load the mess on someone else.
That is why I get so cranky when I see someone wanting to mess these older cars up. If they got to mess something up I just wish they would do the learning curve on a ford Taurus or Pontiac grand am or some other junk from the factory car.

Last edited by dicer; 10-15-15 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-15-15, 06:00 AM
Nishy
Rookie

I have not had the opportunity to play with an LS window regulator yet. But if the motor works both ways and there isn't power to move the window up, then there is a drive clutch or something similar that is slipping, either there is too much load to lift the window or the clutch is worn out.
This is what it looks like. Super simple, just a springed arm and a toothed motor. I think I'm just going to try a new motor and see if that works.