LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Advice on New LS400 and it's associated problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-15, 08:08 PM
tstein2398
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on New LS400 and it's associated problems

Hello ClubLexus. First time poster here!

I just bought a 1992 LS400 last week and I've really been enjoying it and it runs pretty damn well. I knew when I bought it though that it had a few problems with the power steering system (who hasn't with these?) and I had the mechanic inspect it to give me the whole rundown on what's wrong with my new ride. I've attached a picture of his inspection notes (some info has been redacted).

Regarding other issues first, he noticed that the battery wasn't holding a charge as well as it should and the terminals are a bit corroded. He recommended a new battery and I agreed. This will be going in at a later time as I'd rather spend my funds on the more important problems first, the battery still works well for me and it's still summer time.

He also noticed a very small oil leak near the valve cover and he said it wouldn't be too expensive of a fix. I found the OE part on Partsgeek for about $70, which is WAY lower than his quote for the part alone (This is going to be a common trend if you keep reading, and that's why I'm asking you all for advice on it).

He also mentioned I'd be needing a new air filter pretty soon, I'll probably go for a K&N or something else reusable and of good quality unless you guys recommend something else.

On the brighter side, he said there's no issues with timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, all fluids were in good shape, etc. and i'll be able to wait on those for a while. But I would like to have them replaced as a preventative measure in any case sometime before next year.

Anyway onto the larger problems at hand, he found that a good chunk of the P/S system is going bad. He found a small leak in one of the P/S hoses and felt a bit of play in the steering rack (which also happens to be leaking a bit as well). He said that it would be wise to replace the rack and associated hoses, once again I agreed but this is where i get a little put off by him. He gets a quote for the parts that's extremely high. He quoted me over $600 just for the steering rack alone! Online I've found the parts for a complete system (rack, hoses, new pump, etc.) of OE parts for around that price. And then he quoted me nearly another $600 for the work.

What I'm wondering is what you guys did, how much you paid, and what advice you have with my problems here. Am I getting ripped off? Is there a better/less expensive way of going about this with maybe other mechanics or just quick band-aid style fixes while I get enough money to pay for it to get done right? The car runs like an absolute dream, it steers just fine, rides extremely smooth and quietly, starts up quick, no lights are on and I want to know how long I can drive around on this "as he put it, Contaminated" system and what issues need to be dealt with first.

Thank you so much for all of the help in advance guys, I'm happy to be a part of this forum and hope to contribute soon enough.

Inspection Notes - http://imgur.com/UGifhZz
Old 07-01-15, 02:23 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

What do you mean by OE parts? You must mean OE equivalent parts, because at the dealer it will be more than you mentioned.

As far as a mechanic charging a certain amount, just remember this. If this is the business he is in, then very likely he has spent up to around the price of a new car in his hand tools. And if he has a good scan tool that is in the $8000. range. And then there is warrantying the work, and having and paying for insurance to cover his rear if something happens to the car when you are driving it down the freeway. Yeah you can either do the work your self and cross your fingers you did it right, or pay less to a wantabe that could do a top job or could mess things up more than they are now. Just some things to think about when knocking a mechanic and not wanting to pay him or her what the job is worth.
Also the parts he gets the quote on maybe real Lexus parts. And it all depends on what you want, the cheap stuff can do the trick and make the car more usable. They may or may not last. Find out where he was getting the prices at.
If the system is contaminated, then he must have found metal in it?
Old 07-01-15, 09:38 AM
tstein2398
Driver School Candidate

Most of the parts are OE remanufactures and some are OEM. What he meant by contaminated was that one of the P/S system parts (I think it was a return line, but it wasn't listed on his inspection) has already been replaced but is leaking again and the problem will probably go away with complete system replacement.

Sorry if I came off like A-Hole who doesn't trust mechanics, but I was just frustrated. He's one of the better mechanics in the county but a few other reputable shops in the county have given me better prices on the work and some dealerships down south have given me alright prices as well. He's a nice guy and does good work, so I'll definitely get some stuff done at his shop.

What I really wanted to know with this thread is if I can get away with driving on the bad system for a little while, or if it's a dire life or death need to get it done now sort of situation. Any other advice for the work, a thread I saw mentioned getting my current rack rebuilt which would save alot of money and then replace parts around it in the P/S system.
Old 07-01-15, 10:45 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Fix any leaks and drive it. If hoses are worn or bad they should be replaced, its not fun to be on the road and have problems.
Old 07-01-15, 12:07 PM
tstein2398
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I think I can work with the prices f it means a few more years of worry free driving. I'm loving my LS now, can't imagine how good they are at 100%.

Anyone else have any comments on how they did it?
Old 07-02-15, 12:05 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Need to get any PS leaks at the pump fixed pretty quick or you'll be replacing your alternator next. I did replace/rebuild the high pressure hose on a 95 one time as that was the only part of the system that was leaking. Pulled it off and took it to hydraulics shop close by and they rebuilt with the OEM parts. Has worked fine ever since.