LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Most popular ls400 mods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-03, 05:42 PM
2jzgte
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most popular ls400 mods?

Some of you know who I am and why I'm here. I just got an LS400 before New Years and decided to go the VIP route after seeing how my Supra is aging. 215,000 miles and the damn thing is getting all Cristine on me and I need a daily driver. Here in NY it's hard to stand out, I've driven a neighbors Ferraris and could have gotten more attention in a taxi. So what are the most popular mods you guys have done? On a budget of course. I have read a lot on here about mods you guys came up with, and I would like to go the forced induction route and get some other mods you cl members made. That means the muffler delete, airbox mod, headers, air suspension controller, and whatever else you guys think would be a good idea. My goal is 300rwhp OR torque, and I have a loaded 1994 LS400. I also want to know what the ideal bodykit would be. I live in NY so no driveway scraping splitters for me, that also means I want to retain the drive quality (what are some tire/rims combinations you guys use?). Last thing; any websites, magazines or people I should call/see?
Old 03-23-03, 06:14 PM
rajah996
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,
Not sure if you have done this mod yet, but it seems to be the easiest mod which adds appeal
to the looks of your LS. Clear front turn signals and red/clear or all clear tail lights. On light colored
cars it makes a world of difference. Just thought I would share that with you, and good luck
on your project.

-R
The following users liked this post:
Dustyy (12-16-23)
Old 03-23-03, 06:15 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you're looking for something more "driveable" in New York, I would recommend a "add-on" body kit instead of a full bumper replacement. WALD and Exclusive have add-on kits that look very clean. WALD has the Executive and the Sports Line.

www.wald-japan.co.jp
www.evolution.co.jp

If you're willing to take the risk of going ahead with a full bumper replacement body kit, there are probably an endless amount of Japanese companies that produce them: Admiration, Exclusive, WALD (V3 - if they still make it), Devils, Fabulous, Insurance, Inspection, Rando, Stealth, Pride, Win, R Spec, S, Dress Up King, Mythos, Mad Speed, Godfather, Aero USA, etc. (too many to list).

The forced induction route will have to be custom, considering there are no current "mass-produced" supercharger or twin turbo setups that are cost efficient. There is a company called C's (in Japan) that carries a 5.0L stroker kit as well as a Eaton (roots style) based supercharger.

Lextreme has produced a twin turbo system for his LS400. You can contact him through PM if you are interested in producing a kit similiar to his.

A torque converter is a modification (that I would do) if you would like to make your car more quicker off the line during acceleration (a stronger aftermarket TC is cost efficient as it can be used on a stock LS400 and will retained if you decide to go with forced induction in your LS400).

What I would do? I would go with a simple WALD Sports Line add-on kit and add some clean silver polished dish wheels (Work, WALD, Admiration, etc.).

Maybe you can list your budget so other members can help you out with your decision.
Dustyy (12-16-23)
Old 03-23-03, 07:21 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slam the LS like this! I agree go the VIP route
Attached Thumbnails Most popular ls400 mods?-mvc-110f.jpg  

Last edited by LOTC; 03-24-03 at 08:25 PM.
Tony95 (10-29-20)
Old 03-29-03, 10:48 AM
2jzgte
Lead Lap

Well my car is dark green with a dark slate bottom so I don't know how the lights would look. Can you guys link/post some kits and parts you really like/have?
Old 03-29-03, 03:08 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the green is a nice color, here are a few more links

http://www.fabulous.co.jp
http://www.junction-produce.co.jp

These two are the like the top of the line kits of Japan in a way. Super $$$$$$$$$$$
Old 03-29-03, 04:14 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't forget about...
http://www.admiration.ne.jp/
http://www.auto-couture.com/catalog/
http://www.jin.ne.jp/win/
Old 02-08-20, 10:15 PM
LSVentureX
Driver School Candidate

Hello I'm new to the the site and Lexus all together. I have fallen in love with the XF10 and I want to see pictures of various setups. Could anyone point me in the proper direction? I honestly do know where to begin. I know google is a start but I was hoping for something better?
Old 02-08-20, 11:34 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 403 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzgte
I live in NY so no driveway scraping splitters for me, that also means I want to retain the drive quality (what are some tire/rims combinations you guys use?).
I'm completely stock, and I've scraped on some rather aggressive slopes in the past that I took a bit too fast. If you lower it, the front will have some fun even on the stock bumper.

And the suspension is super finicky, you'll loose the "glide" if you deviate much from OEM. Shocks & ride height you can play with, but especially in the bushings you want to stay rubber and avoid poly if you can. The powertrain will be smooth though, as long as your motor mounts are good that should purr real nice regardless of what you do. Just understand what VIP'ing a daily driver (and not a show or weekend car) entails. Air is really the only option to be able to be happy with a hard park & comfy daily driver.
Old 02-09-20, 02:43 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
I'm completely stock, and I've scraped on some rather aggressive slopes in the past that I took a bit too fast. If you lower it, the front will have some fun even on the stock bumper.

And the suspension is super finicky, you'll loose the "glide" if you deviate much from OEM. Shocks & ride height you can play with, but especially in the bushings you want to stay rubber and avoid poly if you can. The powertrain will be smooth though, as long as your motor mounts are good that should purr real nice regardless of what you do. Just understand what VIP'ing a daily driver (and not a show or weekend car) entails. Air is really the only option to be able to be happy with a hard park & comfy daily driver.
i think he's probably found a setup he likes by now...
Old 02-09-20, 02:54 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by LSVentureX
Hello I'm new to the the site and Lexus all together. I have fallen in love with the XF10 and I want to see pictures of various setups. Could anyone point me in the proper direction? I honestly do know where to begin. I know google is a start but I was hoping for something better?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ar-ls400s.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...eel-setup.html

those are probably good places to start... although if you really love the car, you'll leave it just how those hard working engineering teams intended and retain the magic carpet ride and complete practicality lol

but i can appreciate that people need to go through phases... you'll probably want to start with the ecu capacitor replacement 'mod' since those can fail as they get older causing all sorts of gremlins, unless whatever car you get already has a rebuilt ecu
Old 02-09-20, 11:15 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The Build Threads would be a good place:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/build-threads-262/

The VIP mags these days don't have much for these old school cars so you'll have to find some of the magazines from the early 2000's-2010 to see what they were doing to this platform.
Old 02-09-20, 12:47 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 403 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i think he's probably found a setup he likes by now...
Oh **** 🤣

I completely missed the fact that this got bumped from two decades ago
Old 02-10-20, 07:39 AM
metalman
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know for sure if Lexus had a factory body kit? Seems like it might be so on my 92 I'm selling. Could be some fully loaded package maybe? Has air ride and factory built in Radar Detector as well.
Old 02-10-20, 08:55 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by metalman
Does anyone know for sure if Lexus had a factory body kit? Seems like it might be so on my 92 I'm selling. Could be some fully loaded package maybe? Has air ride and factory built in Radar Detector as well.
USDM LS 400s did not have these options, except for the air suspension. It's probably just a clean installation of a body kit.

If your car had factory air suspension in the past, you will see three switches beside your shifter, indicating ride comfort (Sport or Normal) and ride height (High or Normal). If the air suspension was not installed, you will only see the ECT (Electronically Controlled Transmission) switch (Power or Normal).

Screenshot attached of an Air Suspension UCF11 bezel.
Attached Thumbnails Most popular ls400 mods?-1991-lexus-ls-400-gear-shift.jpg  

Quick Reply: Most popular ls400 mods?