LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Front movement left to right when braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 01:04 PM
Michael
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front movement left to right when braking

I have this problem of whole front moving to right when braking. I am sure this is something everyone would be experiencing on LS. Anyone know of reason any possible solution of the problem? If this problem has been posted somewhere, a direction to search would also be helpful.

When a brake is applied, it seems the whole front is quickly move to left little bit then to right. Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 10-29-14, 03:03 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

sounds like your front strut rod bushings are shot. take a look at that, and any bushings around the area. also check your steering rack bushings as well as the ball joints for play.
Old 10-29-14, 04:05 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Jack the front of the car up and try to move the wheel from side to side and up and down if that makes sense. movement from side to side would likely indicate a bad tie rod and up and down would probably be a ball joint. IDK what wheel setup you have but when I put 2.5 gen wheels on my 1 gen it seemed 100x better with 225s on it then with the narrow 205s from the factory.
Old 10-29-14, 04:25 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

Other than those above advices, I suggest you to check ball joints under the struts.
Old 10-31-14, 07:33 AM
Michael
Driver

Default Lower Ball Joint

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
sounds like your front strut rod bushings are shot. take a look at that, and any bushings around the area. also check your steering rack bushings as well as the ball joints for play.
Strut Rod bushings for 2nd gen is a common thing to go out. However, for 1st gen, component is called Strut Bar and is not common for bushing to go bad, is what I have been reading from forum.

I will definitely check for lower ball joint for movement in detail. I've moved them with my arm when the car up and did not feel the any looseness...

What bushings are part of the steering rack bushings, other than lower arm bushing?

I've recently have done a four wheel alignment and they usually check for any affecting components for looseness. They did not say anything.
Old 10-31-14, 07:59 AM
Michael
Driver

Default Ball Joint under the Struts?

Originally Posted by Yamae
Other than those above advices, I suggest you to check ball joints under the struts.
You are referring to the lower ball joint, right? There is another one on the upper control arm....
Old 10-31-14, 11:04 AM
timmy0tool

Originally Posted by Michael
Strut Rod bushings for 2nd gen is a common thing to go out. However, for 1st gen, component is called Strut Bar and is not common for bushing to go bad, is what I have been reading from forum.
this is incorrect! all years are subject to strut rod bushings going out, with the 1st gens being the MOST common due to being older. of course other factors contribute such as driving habit, road conditions, ambient temps, etc.

the steering rack has two sandwich bushings that hold it to the subframe. check those bushings for cracks or stress marks. you can have a helper steer the wheel from lock to lock while you look under to see if the rack deflects. some deflection is normal but over 1" of play is bad.
Old 10-31-14, 11:05 AM
timmy0tool

i would also like to throw in your brake calipers themselves. there was a thread awhile back mentioning a caliper piston getting stuck so the brake bias is thrown off.
Old 11-02-14, 03:21 PM
Michael
Driver

Default Solved – Front Sway when Braking

The problem is solved. Actually the problem is NOT on the front end, it was the rear. It may sound funny but I was in the process of replacing rear Carrier Arm Bushing. I replaced the left side first then I noticed the front sway problem. I just could not relate what I’ve done in rear with the front sway problem.

Last night the rear right bushing is changed and today I’ve noticed the front sway problem is no longer there. Then I realized the function of the rear Strut Rod. Its function is to keep the rear arm in place from moving forward or backward (along with up and down). If you have a worn Carrier Arm bushing, you will experience the heavy vibration when braking. Although the rubber part of my bushing was completely gone on both side, I did not experience the heavy vibration when braking. I had a "clunk" noise going over a bump at 5 MPH speed. The clunk is gone for good with a replacement of rear carrier arm bushings.

When left rear side is corrected, the right rear had more room for a forward/backward movement when braking casing what appeared to be front sway problem. Replacing the right rear bushing corrected the problem. Just wanted to share my experience.

Thank you all for trying to help, especially timmy0tool.
Old 11-03-14, 10:09 AM
timmy0tool

glad this is situated!

made me think about the condition of my rear carriers since i do get clunks nowadays. thanks for the reminder!
Old 11-05-14, 02:19 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Does the car have ABS?
Old 11-05-14, 11:43 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Does the car have ABS?
all LS400s have ABS.....
Old 11-05-14, 12:29 PM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
glad this is situated!

made me think about the condition of my rear carriers since i do get clunks nowadays. thanks for the reminder!
Same thing just went through my mind lol
Old 11-05-14, 12:34 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

1990's don't have it, maybe an option. I didn't see that he has a 93 in the lower area of the post. Though he could have 2 or 3 like some of us do.
Old 11-05-14, 01:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
1990's don't have it, maybe an option. I didn't see that he has a 93 in the lower area of the post. Though he could have 2 or 3 like some of us do.
You are incorrect. All LS400s and Celsiors came standard with ABS. It was never optional.
http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1990/1990LSspecs.pdf

Quick Reply: Front movement left to right when braking