LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Cannot separate UCA ball joint from steering knuckle

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-14, 03:14 AM
peterls
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Cannot separate UCA ball joint from steering knuckle

When I was replacing right UCA, I used the pulman tool to separate the upper ball joint from the steering knuckle. However, the pulman barely did anything as it was holding by less than a hair and kept slipping off. It was so frustrating to use the damn thing, but luckily I noticed that the joint separated - my feeling was it would have separated if I just gave it a mean look....

So today I wanted to do my left side UCA and didn't rent the pulman tool, thinking - I will just give it a tap or two with a hammer. Well, I have been hitting the damn thing for half an hour and it would not separate!
I even jacked up the suspension a little, or a lot, to try and get the angle right so that it just slides out, and nothing. It's as if it is welded in there. I really don't get it. I mean, to put in the new arm, you just slide it in. But to pull it out, even banging it with a hammer, it will not budge.

Finally I just gave up and put the whole thing together without replacing it. I will rent the pulman tomorrow, but I am not sure how it will work when it really has nothing to grab onto.

Have others experienced the same problem with the pulman not having enough there to grab and hold? Mine literally has a hair, it is not even a 1/32 of an inch. If the tool was a little narrower it would be a lot better. BTW I rent it from O'reilly.
Old 05-08-14, 04:11 AM
silos5
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are cool with tools, take the knuckle together with the UCA off. You will need to take the caliper and speed sensor off. Then you can smack the heck out of the UCA with a hammer. It is a 5min job if you have tools.
Old 05-08-14, 04:19 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

Try spraying some silicone on it. I did not have a problem when I was changing my shocks, it is a tight fit like you said but you just have to position the tool correctly.

Attached Thumbnails Cannot separate UCA ball joint from steering knuckle-fshock03.jpg  

Last edited by sha4000; 05-08-14 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-08-14, 07:10 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to hit te knuckle like a beast and it will just pop out. Don't hit the ball joint or the threads, just the cast knuckle. Try it with a small sledge hammer if needed. I have used this technique my entire life and never had one not pop out. Just takes some real oomph sometimes lol.
Old 05-08-14, 07:14 AM
TMAdash1
Rookie

When I installed my coilovers I bought this from HF

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html

but had trouble with it grabbing on enough so I grinded down the inside to get it more into the balljoint and it worked like a charm. You could always use the pitchfork seperator kind and just hammer at it
Old 05-08-14, 10:00 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Rent the tool again and take your time when placing it on before tightening it. Now that I think about it the damn thing kept slipping just like you mentioned but once I got it on there it came right off. FYI it was the same one in the pic above.
Old 05-08-14, 11:27 AM
peterls
Instructor

Yup, that's the tool I used last time. I will try it again this weekend.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I hope I don't have to take the whole thing out and bang the heck out of it.
Old 05-08-14, 11:34 AM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

spray penetrating lubricant (pb blaster), put some tension on the joint using the tool pictured above, and hit the knuckle (not the tool) in between the tool with a hammer. the shock should separate the stubborn joint.

i usually keep the castle nut in place but loosened so the joint doesn't fully separate immediately, hitting me in the face! don't put the tool on the castle nut however.

hammer the red spot!
Attached Thumbnails Cannot separate UCA ball joint from steering knuckle-fshock03.jpg  
Old 05-08-14, 01:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

1- go to autozone
2- rent/buy puller 27022
3- use it
4- thank me.
Old 05-08-14, 03:03 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

He said that what he used PD in lexls pic above.
Old 05-08-14, 03:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

he said he used the harbor freight press, which won't work for the UBJ. Neither will other similar pullers to the lexls pic as the opening is too wide.

The one I mentioned, specifically, works perfectly fine on LS400 UBJs.
Old 05-08-14, 03:19 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^ Ok, I bought that puller from autozone so I guess that's why I did not have too much of a problem with my UBJ.
Old 05-08-14, 08:40 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
he said he used the harbor freight press, which won't work for the UBJ. Neither will other similar pullers to the lexls pic as the opening is too wide.

The one I mentioned, specifically, works perfectly fine on LS400 UBJs.
I've used a better version of the harbour freight tool on my UBJ and it worked perfectly fine....
This is like mine:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...icture073.jpeg
I think I even detailed it in the coil over install how-to I did (that PD keeps forgetting to put in the FAQ )

It helps to run the nut down so the tip if the bolt is flush with the top of the nut.
Also helps to use a hammer to get the puller a little deeper onto the top of the knuckle.

If that doesn't work, there is a little nipple on one edge.corner of the knuckle. Strike that with a BFH and it will pop the joint. You don't need to hit it more than once or beat the living hell out of the knuckle. One good strike is all you need, just don't be a f'ing pansy... hit it like a f'ing man!
Old 05-09-14, 01:52 PM
peterls
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shmee
I've used a better version of the harbour freight tool on my UBJ and it worked perfectly fine....
This is like mine:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...icture073.jpeg
I think I even detailed it in the coil over install how-to I did (that PD keeps forgetting to put in the FAQ )

It helps to run the nut down so the tip if the bolt is flush with the top of the nut.
Also helps to use a hammer to get the puller a little deeper onto the top of the knuckle.

If that doesn't work, there is a little nipple on one edge.corner of the knuckle. Strike that with a BFH and it will pop the joint. You don't need to hit it more than once or beat the living hell out of the knuckle. One good strike is all you need, just don't be a f'ing pansy... hit it like a f'ing man!
I just found that local Napa has exact same part and was going to ask if anyone has tried it! So, I will be getting it today.
BTW, Shmee have you tried using the same tool for lower ball joints? I would imagine it should work right?
I appreciate all the other input, and was going to get the Autozone tool, but the nearest autozone is some 40 minutes away, one way, so that's 1.5 hrs... and Napa is only around the corner from me.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-14, 02:00 PM
TMAdash1
Rookie

It'll work for any balljoint situation as long as you can fit it on there good enough, I used mine again the other day when I changed out the rear toe arms.

Quick Reply: Cannot separate UCA ball joint from steering knuckle