LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Wheel fitment

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-14, 01:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

sounds like a great way to total your car when you hit a crest on the freeway....

Even the minitruck guys I know who drag frame do it on air with Mg drag blocks, not all the time. (and hopefully on an empty road...)
Old 05-06-14, 04:11 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

being low and NOT tucking rim on 18s really isn't that low. tommy is much lower. that height is very driveable.

bojangles' car for example, sorry i don't know the wheel specs.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel fitment-8209658808_1ecb4dda24_b.jpg  
Old 05-06-14, 04:37 PM
timmy0tool

found it!
Originally Posted by Bojangles
First post,18x9.5 +30 SSR MS1. Natural camber.

one more for kicks:
Attached Thumbnails Wheel fitment-8165858620_a7091c8757_b.jpg  
Old 05-06-14, 07:16 PM
ocr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sha4000
Lol you really want to ride down the road throwing sparks? I didn't know that was cool these days. I get annoyed when I slightly scrape anything.
I was kind of kidding. I wasn't that serious rilly. although when I do see sparks fly from a car being low it is kinda cool to see at night in proper amounts. I don't like the constant dragging, but a scrape while going over a good bump on the highway at night can look kinda cool in a pic if timed right. But like I said, I was mostly kidding. I might put a bar or skid plate under the lowest point of the car as a safety devise to keep the actual car from getting damaged.

I'll have my car low enough to look sick at all times and just high enough to daily drive it.
Old 05-06-14, 07:21 PM
ocr
Pole Position

bojangles' car is sitting perfict! that's how I rilly want to sit.
Old 05-06-14, 11:36 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

*really

Have you ever lived with a really low, long-wheel base car?
Old 05-07-14, 02:31 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
*really

Have you ever lived with a really low, long-wheel base car?
This x1billion. I've done it, been doing it, and got over it. My car's been raised considerably and I find that I enjoy driving it a hell of a lot more set up this way.
Old 05-07-14, 11:41 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

IMHO,
If you REALLY* want that 0_o sensation/effect, focus your time on the FITMENT of some amazing wheels rather than slamming the car on some overpriced knock offs and hogging out the fenders to make them fit.

If you want to break necks, you have to spend the time to perfect everything! There is no out of the box solution to it.

For $1500-2k you can have some REALLY* nice 2/3pc JDM wheels used or from places VRwheels, Memoryfab, or etc.. Those wheels will hold their value for more that some cheesy knockoffs will. You could probably make all of or more than your money back on some quality wheels if you are a smart shopper where as with knockoffs, you'll be lucky to see 50-75% of the money you spent.

But that depends on what you are after...
Old 05-07-14, 01:53 PM
timmy0tool

^ agreed. around socal, having that perfect stance isn't enough anymore. with the vast car culture here not limited to imports, we see stance all day and have grown accustomed to seeing it. it takes more to get that wow factor around here.

now getting suck on a driveway for being too low will get you attention! i speak from experience.
Old 05-08-14, 01:08 PM
ocr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shmee
IMHO,
If you REALLY* want that 0_o sensation/effect, focus your time on the FITMENT of some amazing wheels rather than slamming the car on some overpriced knock offs and hogging out the fenders to make them fit.

If you want to break necks, you have to spend the time to perfect everything! There is no out of the box solution to it.

For $1500-2k you can have some REALLY* nice 2/3pc JDM wheels used or from places VRwheels, Memoryfab, or etc.. Those wheels will hold their value for more that some cheesy knockoffs will. You could probably make all of or more than your money back on some quality wheels if you are a smart shopper where as with knockoffs, you'll be lucky to see 50-75% of the money you spent.

But that depends on what you are after...
Originally Posted by timmy0tool
^ agreed. around socal, having that perfect stance isn't enough anymore. with the vast car culture here not limited to imports, we see stance all day and have grown accustomed to seeing it. it takes more to get that wow factor around here.

now getting suck on a driveway for being too low will get you attention! i speak from experience.
You have to remember, I don't live in Cali or Florida where the import world is hot and there is an ombundance of quality 2/3 pc wheels. I live in KS where the American Mussel is king. I'm looking for a deep lip and a clean look. On a newer LS400 I could understand spending that much on wheels or after I have my interior and exterior done. My interior is all torn and old. I'm going to work on that after I at least have the car looking nice from the outside. Right now its hella ugly. Im talking rattle can flat black, stock wheels, stock ride highth. I'm getting the car painted a satin black, lowered down, windows tinted, smoked bumper lights, smoked tails and nice looking wheels. Here, the average (90%) modded car does not have wheels fitted to the car. Also, my car is a UCF10 not a UCF20. If it was a UCF20 I would most deff go for some 2/3 pc wheels.
Old 05-08-14, 03:17 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Just get what you like but spend your money wisely. I hear what your saying about the culture where YOU live though. I'm btw NY and NJ all the time and I've only seen 1 nicely done LS and that was member stefwilly a couple of years ago. I see mostly Hondas and some Subarus lowered. Some of them look really nice but lots of them look downright awful. Being a member of this forum has taught me what to look for to tell if they put alot of work into it or just half ***** it. Alot of the cars I see are really nice and I get tempted to break the bank but then I come to my senses because they are just not practical for our horrible streets and the way I drive. Everyone's opinions are welcome as long as they given in a respectful manner but be smart to stay in your budget and vision of what you want your car to look like. Ok, maybe not the sparks rolling down the road stuff lol.
Old 05-08-14, 03:58 PM
ocr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sha4000
. Ok, maybe not the sparks rolling down the road stuff lol.
I was joking on that. I don't want to actualy scrape anything.
Old 05-08-14, 05:00 PM
ocr
Pole Position

found this wheels I kinda like. where could I go to get bigger lips on them to set them closer to the width and offset I am looking for?

http://www.vrwheels.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=3679
Old 05-08-14, 07:01 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Vrwheels will relip any wheel you you buy from them.

I would suggest you stay away from polished lips and black faces. That is a beyond dated look that has fallen well out of favor.

Originally Posted by ocr
You have to remember, I don't live in Cali or Florida where the import world is hot and there is an ombundance of quality 2/3 pc wheels. I live in KS where the American Mussel is king. I'm looking for a deep lip and a clean look. On a newer LS400 I could understand spending that much on wheels or after I have my interior and exterior done. My interior is all torn and old. I'm going to work on that after I at least have the car looking nice from the outside. Right now its hella ugly. Im talking rattle can flat black, stock wheels, stock ride highth. I'm getting the car painted a satin black, lowered down, windows tinted, smoked bumper lights, smoked tails and nice looking wheels. Here, the average (90%) modded car does not have wheels fitted to the car. Also, my car is a UCF10 not a UCF20. If it was a UCF20 I would most deff go for some 2/3 pc wheels.
If that standards are that low around you then it should be easy to garner a lot of attention. You do not have to have a new or mint car to look good. There are guys on here who also have a rattle can flat black paint job and their cars look great. It's all about execution of your style vs the money/prestige you throw at your car. Ive seen tons of poorly executed cars with massive bank rolls behind them, and i have seen budget builds that are show stoppers.

Most of us have ever evolving projects and none are perfect out of the gate, i know my car is FAR from even being "decent" in my eyes.

The cars that stand out follow a pretty simple formula:
Drop => wheels => exterior => interior.
The cars that break necks employ a bit different formula, in that the entire suspension, wheel setup and often the body is thought of as a single entity and every change influences the others... Finding the right combo and the execution is what sets those cars apart... It doesn't have to be about the money either, its about the comitment and dedication of the owner to seeing it through and not taking the easy way out.

The nice part about expensive wheels is that if you ever upgrade to a nice UCF20 or even 30, they can go with you!

Also, the world does not revolve around cali/FLA...
There are lots of neck-breaking cars all over the place, and a large portion live outside those 2 states.
Old 05-08-14, 07:13 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Good post Shmee you said it better than me and the work that you have put in on your since you first started your build thread backs that up. By the way it does look great. There are build threads that go on for years and are ever evolving. I've been working on my car for 2 years and I'm not even trying to turn heads I'm just trying to get it to where when I approach it I'm like " My cars hot ". It will never approach the level of work that a lot of guys in the forum put in but I'm ok with my own progress. I still get lots of compliments and my car looks like a wreck right now. My friends and random ppl see me working on it constantly and I can tell they appreciate and see how dedicated I am to the car lol

Quick Reply: Wheel fitment