LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

help! it started fine 10mins ago!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-14, 02:54 PM
croachv2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! it started fine 10mins ago!

Okay, so i just finished my coilover setup, and i started to back out of the garage, realized i wasnt gonna make it, turned it off, got out. Jacked it up, started about my adjusting business, got back in to start it 10mins later, it continues to turn over with out fail, whats wrong? Altenator?
Old 04-11-14, 03:37 PM
croachv2
Driver School Candidate

Also when the key is in the "on" position it does display a check engine light.
Old 04-11-14, 04:54 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

That's pretty weird... Only suggestion I have is to look for any loose connections in the engine compartment and the various fuses.

Curiously, just how low and how aggressive a wheel fitment do you have? Has the fender liner been removed? The alternate thought is that the car was so low that those few feet backing it out wore through part of the harness.
Old 04-11-14, 05:09 PM
croachv2
Driver School Candidate

Dang. It wasnt really aggresive, just stock ls wheels. But im sure when i turned a bit and the tires rubbed the inner fenders it could have rubbed something. Im gonna check to see if it is getting fuel, then spark. Then ill try and narrow it down to the harness fracture.Thats a bummer, that sounds like that could be the problem, it was rediculously low, it was rubbing all over, i only moved like 5 ft though. How difficult should that be to fix? Where exactly is the harness? Between the fenderliner and fender?
Old 04-11-14, 08:56 PM
croachv2
Driver School Candidate

Okay so i just got home, checked both wheel wells, i hadnt seen any wear through on either of the fender liners. I tried spraying starting fluid in the intake. No positive results. We exposed the timing belt, no cracks or tears, so pretty sure thats okay. My father had placed his hand over the intake and he hadnt felt any suction, he thought that was odd. We hadnt noticed any spark either we pulled a boot out and held it close to the strut assembly on top. Could it be one of the big main fuses/relays orrr? Looking for all advice/ideas.
-Cole
Gonna try calling lexus service dept. In the morning too.
Old 04-11-14, 10:44 PM
Kram
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the breaker for the fuel pump,you may have activated the fuel safety lock out.If no voltage present then reseting the system should fix your problem.
Old 04-12-14, 05:28 AM
croachv2
Driver School Candidate

How do you reset the system? Cause i tried disconnecting the battery for 10mins and it still hadnt started. From whatbi read i think that resets everything?
Old 04-12-14, 06:14 AM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Just on the offchance that it is the fuel cutoff - simply lock and unlock the car using your original key a few times, slowly, like a grandma would do it. I think cycling through unlock->open door->close door-> lock door->wait a second or two->unlock->wait->open door should do it.
I have unlocked it so fast a few times that the security system did not get a chance to turn itself off and alarm went off. My wife also set it off a few times by reaching for the door through the open window
Old 04-13-14, 11:07 AM
croachv2
Driver School Candidate

Okay, so the lexus dealership suggested i start testing fuses. So i did. I started under the hood, i found that they checked out okay. For the most part. I found the main engine relay looked burnt where it plugs in *see image. And then i notice the fuel pump relay tabs were touching and my light meter wouldnt light up when i tested it. Also see picture. None if the other tabs in the relays were touching. Idk if theyre supposed to but it was different than the rest. Under the steering column tested out fine. Still not sure why im not getting spark.

help! it started fine 10mins ago!-forumrunner_20140413_130722.png

help! it started fine 10mins ago!-forumrunner_20140413_130735.png
Old 04-14-14, 07:59 PM
croachv2
Driver School Candidate

bump. welp. i really don't wanna take it to the dealership. i hate that idea. I'm planning on picking up a relay tomorrow. i know that the fuel pump isnt common for these. i guess I'm really just grasping for any other ideas here? reseting the system didnt work. aka unplugging the battery and i did the key unlocking, opening door, closing door, locking door. nothing has changed...
Old 04-15-14, 06:54 PM
BangEmBoy
Driver School Candidate

I am going through the exact same thing as you are . Car was running fine, turned it off, no start . A check revealed no spark, and can't check codes because I have no check engine light anymore . On top of that, the 20amp EFI fuse under the hood is only reading 1.8 volts with the key on . Mmmmmmmm !? I will keep you posted as to what I find out the problem is, because I WILL find it .
Old 04-21-14, 03:10 PM
croachv2
Driver School Candidate

Okay, so, i picked up a fuel pump relay, installed it, it fired up like nothing happened. I started jumping around, hootin and hollering, being all excited everything was fine. I even turned it in and off a few times. Started just fine. So, i turned it off, went to the engine bay started putting the intake/air cleaner back together. Went back into the car, turned it over, fired once or twice then killed. Same thing a few times over. Im really bummed. Actually im really pissed. I dropped 53$ on a flippin relay. So what would the problem be? Could it be the fuel pump frying the relay?!
Old 04-21-14, 03:55 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by croachv2
Okay, so i just finished my coilover setup, and i started to back out of the garage, realized i wasnt gonna make it, turned it off, got out. Jacked it up, started about my adjusting business, got back in to start it 10mins later, it continues to turn over with out fail, whats wrong? Altenator?
i'm a bit confused as i read this. i don't see anything wrong with the car.

ok after reading the thread, i see that the car fires up but doesn't hold idle? how about when you give it gas? if the car doesn't rev when you give it gas, i suspect the fuel pump is bad.
Old 04-21-14, 05:06 PM
croachv2
Driver School Candidate

I guess i didnt include that it hadnt started when i had gotten back in. When i get it running, it runs just fine, itll rev, and has good response. But it hadnt started..that the problem. I had tested all the relays, the only one that didnt check out good was the fuel pump relay..so givin that, i bought a new one, and installed it, started fine. Like nothing happened. Then same thing, turned the car off, reinstalled all loose bolts ect..got back in, 10mins later, it wont start.
Old 04-21-14, 05:47 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Did you ever nail down that noise you posted about?

Quick Reply: help! it started fine 10mins ago!