LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Greetings from the caribbean!

Old 03-16-14, 10:07 AM
zyzygy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings from the caribbean!

Hi! I've been educating myself for the past month on your excellent posts, after a lifetime of American muscle and Ford trucks I've finally took the plunge and bought a 1996 LS 400 with 31,000 on the odo, gave it a full tune-up (filters,ignition,etc) and updated the caps using the ones lscowboy recommends, I'm in the procces of stockpiling a complete stereo and alarm system and eventually a repaint, as soon as I get the car back from the mechanic I'll be posting pics, your posts have helped me tons!
Old 03-16-14, 11:54 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the LS!
Old 03-16-14, 12:57 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Congrats on the pickup and welcome to the forum.
Old 03-16-14, 01:17 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

congrats on the new car! post up some pictures so we can see what you are working with!
Old 03-16-14, 01:35 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

updated the caps using the ones lscowboy recommends
make sure you use the actual brand and model of capacitors linked to in post #1 of my ECU caps thread, as well as the sources linked to, as these are a very rare type of capacitor, and just barely even available at all, outside of Japan.

the source is critical as well, as counterfeit capacitors are at epidemic levels on places like ebay, craiglist, amazon, etc. as well as at your local electronics store, where this type of capacitor is not legitimately available (except perhaps in the silicon valley area of California)
Old 03-17-14, 05:19 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Welcome and congrats...with 31k on the vehicle, that's practically brand new. Lots of life left on this one.
Old 03-17-14, 12:19 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

That car will last forever! nice!
Old 03-17-14, 11:54 PM
zyzygy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
make sure you use the actual brand and model of capacitors linked to in post #1 of my ECU caps thread, as well as the sources linked to, as these are a very rare type of capacitor, and just barely even available at all, outside of Japan.

the source is critical as well, as counterfeit capacitors are at epidemic levels on places like ebay, craiglist, amazon, etc. as well as at your local electronics store, where this type of capacitor is not legitimately available (except perhaps in the silicon valley area of California)
No problem got my caps from digi-key and my computer was worked on by my sister in law's husband who's a computer engineer who has been soldering since he was 12!
turned my car on today, after running fine It started running a little rough again, will run it again tomorrow to see if there is a bad sensor somewhere.had both temp sensors replaced with the original Toyota parts also following cowboys reccomendations.
Old 03-17-14, 11:55 PM
zyzygy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the welcome guys!
Old 03-18-14, 12:37 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

you said you gave it a full tune-up, when did this car last have caps, rotors, wires and plugs?

caps and rotors need to be Toyota (from Sewell Lexus, Lexus Parts Now, or Lexus of South Atlanta parts)

wires and plugs can be NGK or Denso which will save you a good bit of money, try Rock Auto or Amazon for best prices on those
Old 03-18-14, 01:41 AM
zyzygy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
you said you gave it a full tune-up, when did this car last have caps, rotors, wires and plugs?

caps and rotors need to be Toyota (from Sewell Lexus, Lexus Parts Now, or Lexus of South Atlanta parts)

wires and plugs can be NGK or Denso which will save you a good bit of money, try Rock Auto or Amazon for best prices on those
All were bought locally, original parts, saw a little smoke coming from the back, passenger side of the engine on startup.
Old 03-18-14, 01:55 AM
zyzygy
Driver School Candidate

Might need part number for oxygen sensor front and back, denso or Toyota.
Old 03-18-14, 11:01 PM
Tuha
Driver

Photos mate. Always good to see another one of these beauties. Welcome to the family, by the way.
Old 03-19-14, 01:26 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zyzygy
Might need part number for oxygen sensor front and back, denso or Toyota.
there are 4 oxygen sensors, 2 front (pre-cat) and 2 rear (post cat)

only the fronts (pre-cat) affect how the car runs and communicate information to the ECU

the rear ones (post-cat) are required if you live in a city with emissions requirements or you just like clean air

the part number for the Denso front O2 sensors (same part and manufacturer as Toyota but 1/3 the price) is 234-4169

the best deals on Nippon Denso O2 sensors are at amazon.com and rockauto.com (about $50 each)
Old 03-19-14, 07:05 AM
zyzygy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info! it turns out that the maf isn't working, car runs rough with it connected or not, taking it out to clean it and then hooking it up to see what happens! thank god it's a low mileage example because it looks that the previous owner didn't take care of the car, except for plugs every part I've replaced was original.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Greetings from the caribbean!