LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Burning smell at higher RPM.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-14, 01:45 PM
Sewpra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning smell at higher RPM.

I just replaced my crank seal and timing belt, after putting it back together I torqued the drive belt idler pulley to spec (27 ft-lb), pulley didn't turn nicely, figured it was normal, I go to start the car, belt is too tight and car dies in a second.

That problem has since been fixed, I loosened the drive idler pulley bolt to nearly hand tight, car runs fine now but it almost seems hesitant to go into higher rpms and when I do floor it I get a burning smell, I am 99% sure this is a drive belt issue, as the timing idler and tensioner pulley's rotation can't even be affected by torque due to the design of those pulley's.

My drive idler pulley has a "cover plate" that doesn't really line up on the pulley on it's own unless you hold it in place while torquing.

I'm curious, did I lose a washer or something that goes between this cover plate and the idler pulley? I also seem to get a "psssssss" type noise at higher rpm even in park also which I believe is related to this pulley, it is capable of turning freely when loose as a side note also.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-14-14, 04:44 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

if the idlers/tensioners are installed correctly and with any and all associated parts i.e. washers - they will spin freely, feel silky smooth, and the amount of torque will NOT affect how they spin

but do use an accurate torque wrench of quality and do use new Toyota or Koyo parts

from you description, it sounds as if it is not installed correctly, or you have an incorrect part or are missing a part

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but at this point you can probably add a new drive belt to your list, this one is likely ruined, it doesn't take much

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 03-14-14 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-14-14, 04:53 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

go to Sewell Lexus and look at the diagram, if you don't have the Lexus factory service manual, which you should have if you are doing this kind of work
Old 03-14-14, 07:46 PM
Sewpra
Rookie

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
if the idlers/tensioners are installed correctly and with any and all associated parts i.e. washers - they will spin freely, feel silky smooth, and the amount of torque will NOT affect how they spin

but do use an accurate torque wrench of quality and do use new Toyota or Koyo parts

from you description, it sounds as if it is not installed correctly, or you have an incorrect part or are missing a part

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but at this point you can probably add a new drive belt to your list, this one is likely ruined, it doesn't take much
I understand Cowboy, I believe I have my drive belt installed properly as far as the routing aspect, I googled 1UZ drive belt routing and found two different routings. I believe the latter here is wrong and mine is routed like the first diagram.

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...3f80209026.gif

http://guerillamotive.com/Images/200...Serpentine.jpg

My suspicion is that my drive idler pulley is missing a washer, can anyone confirm that one is used? My idler pulley turns fine when it's free on the bolt, but gets tighter when torqued, all I have is my "cover plate" behind the 14 mm special bolt head that was used originally on it.

Old 03-14-14, 09:23 PM
Sewpra
Rookie

Cowboy, I got this part number for OEM drive belt idler pulley - 16604 0F010. When I search it on Sewell I get nothing.

Old 03-14-14, 09:23 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

yes, the second one is wrong, should be like this

Old 03-14-14, 09:29 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

CLICK DIAGRAM FOR LARGER VIEW

Old 03-15-14, 03:24 PM
Sewpra
Rookie

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
CLICK DIAGRAM FOR LARGER VIEW
Thanks, fixed it, found an old thread here searching on Google recommending to remove the cover plate in that diagram, after removing the plate it would torque down tight and spin freely, not sure how the plate ever fit right in the first place and I'm lucky it didn't cut into the bearing face.

Secondly, I'd like to also mention how when cold my tensioner pulley seems to like to make a scraping noise, it rotates very nicely but I did notice when I had it off the car it makes a whiny metal noise. As the system warms up that noise becomes less prevalent.