LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Valve Cover Gaskets Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-13, 10:04 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve Cover Gaskets Leaking

I would like to hear from any DIYers who have done this repair. Apparently it's about a five hour job even when experienced mechanics do the work. My car is a first gneration LS400, with low mileage, and the valve cover gaskets are leaking. What questions should I ask when lining up a mechanic (other than whether he is Lexus trained/certified). What could go wrong, or is this a simple or straightforward job?
Old 09-26-13, 10:41 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope this help

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/valvecover.html
Old 09-27-13, 01:23 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

valve cover gaskets on LS400 do not take 5 hours if you are good with a wrench, it is certainly not near the job that doing the starter is!

the LEXLS tutorial is great, but the only thing I would change is skip the FIPG, since you are not a robot in Tahara, Japan, same advice on transmission pan gaskets, get a Fel-Pro gasket!

FIPG just makes a mess and can easily get inside an engine or transmission and create havoc, remember those pics that Yamae showed us of the FIPG chunks he found inside his transmission? - those were not from the factory initial assembly, they were from some yahoo who resealed the pan after a fluid and/or filter change.

also, be very careful to not overtorque the valve covers, the proper torque is in your service manual and it is very low!
Old 09-27-13, 05:37 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

replace the cam plugs also fpg # TCS45979
and make sure the spark plug tube seals are replaced as well and do not install them in dry. I called lexus got a part number and then got them from Toyota because the same part was half the price..the fel-pro set does not come with them.
Old 09-27-13, 07:05 AM
billymild
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the best place to get a complete kit? About how much is the gasket kit?
Old 09-27-13, 07:13 AM
fsuguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are reasonably handy with tools, it is better to do it yourself with parts, as LScowboyLS suggests. I made the mistake of taking it to a dealership 'cause I was pressed for time - big mistake. Many parts need to be taken off and put back together correctly. However, the dealership left bolts undone, wire harness clusters unwrapped, etc. I did not complain to them since they would only say bring it back - something I did not want to risk with their quality of work. Just chalked it up to experience and wouldn't do it again. Must mention that it was a Toyota dealership, not Lexus, since the nearest one to me is about 300 miles away! I think the Lexus dealership is probably as expensive, but are more tuned into what the owner expects in workmanship!

HTH
Old 09-29-13, 10:55 AM
AtlasLS400
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just had mine done at Firestone for 360 and comes with warranty. Was going to do it myself but got scared. They did a great job, I actually talked to the guy and asked him to make sure he put someone that will take their time. He*hooked it up. FYI... When you fix your gaskets, a leak may spring up in another place. Be prepared to chase
Old 09-29-13, 11:34 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlasLS400
Just had mine done at Firestone for 360
Holy crap!!!! For that price I sure hope they adjusted your valves while they were right there. But I highly doubt it. Did they even change the tubes and seals? If not, that's probably where you will find another leak in the future. And then the whole job will have to be done again. That wouldn't be covered with the warranty b/c they aren't actually part of a normal "valve cover gasket" job, but should be done. Good luck.
Sry, I'm not a fan of Firestone.
Old 09-29-13, 12:02 PM
AtlasLS400
Pole Position

I wasnt a fan either but no one around here with credibility is doing a valve cover job for less than 350. Tubes and seal are all good. But... adjusting the valves is new to me. Can you tell me a liitle more on why I should. The car runs like new. I keep the car very well maintained. .. dont want to open it up unless its really necessary
Old 09-29-13, 02:24 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlasLS400
But... adjusting the valves is new to me. Can you tell me a liitle more on why I should. The car runs like new. I keep the car very well maintained. .. dont want to open it up unless its really necessary
There's no sense in opening it up again now. It's just that the valves get loose over time. But if you dont hear them ticking bad then dont worry about it. Most of the older LS400s have the slight valve tick on cylinder # 7. When I did my VC gaskets (1 week after I bought it) I didn't know about adjusting the valves and I wish I did b/c it's still ticking. (4 years later) Nothing gonna happen but just annoying.
Old 09-29-13, 02:44 PM
AtlasLS400
Pole Position

Great info... will keep in mind. Car is VERY quiet for now. (fingers crossed)
Old 09-29-13, 02:56 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Just had mine done at Firestone for 360 and comes with warranty. Was going to do it myself but got scared.
Nothing scares me in life as much as the thought of Firestone working on one of my cars
Old 09-29-13, 03:28 PM
AtlasLS400
Pole Position

Well... I went to lexus, they wanted 750. NOT HAPPENING!
Old 09-29-13, 04:04 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I don't understand why this job scares everyone so much - it's pretty easy! - People make it sound like it is a major job like replacing the starter! - the only way this takes a lot of time is if you adjust valves while you are in there, and that is easy as well, just time consuming.
Old 09-29-13, 04:39 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Because some people are not mechanically inclined. They don't own the service manual or the tools.

Anyway, I would suggest getting all the parts yourself and check out the website called Yelp.com You can search auto repair for your area and see the highest rated businesses in your area and get quotes from them. In general, the higher rated privately owned businesses do good work. I have used Yelp for my tint, sub replacement / grom audio install, windshield replacement, and a few other things and I have been satisfied with the businesses I choose via the high ratings.

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Gaskets Leaking