LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Vexed by VIP...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 02:58 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Uh, give me your money....i'll tell you what to think, what to like and how you should build YOUR car.

seriously?
Old 09-30-13, 03:00 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
I guess my question is can you add some of those VIP-esque interior accessories, while not building to the VIP style, and still make it look good?
Are there any quality name-brands which are not horrendously bedazzled and not ludicrously priced? Or should I buy the cheap crap from eBay to get the rails and get some better material and custom make the curtains.
Does anyone have a color suggestion that would look too out of place in/on the blue/grey/slate interior of a silver 96?
Well, I mean, as far as VIP accessories go, as long as they fit in with the car's overall look. I mean, if you're driving a stickerbombed S14 with "harlequin" (multicolored) fenders and have a woodgrain table on the passenger side, it's going to look out of place. Like my car, I've got my two pillows in the rear and waiting on cash to buy some nice curtains. I'm still at stock height and nobody cares. They all love my pillows haha
Old 09-30-13, 05:50 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftGirl

Uh, give me your money....i'll tell you what to think, what to like and how you should build YOUR car.

seriously?
If that was directed at me, I'm not looking for anyone to tell me how to build anything.
I'm more curious if doing such things would incur the verbal/textual wrath of simple minded slaves to the style/culture.

Coming from the air-cooler Porsche world, everything is either stock (read: in disrepair), concours resto or race. And anything outside of those is shunned like an Amish listening to dubstep. In the Porsche world, specifically at a lot of shows, you get the most ****-retentive people nit-picking every asinine details. I had one judge **** and moan for 5mins over the fact that some of the bolts in the engine bay weren't nickel plated, thus not factory; when the rest of the car wasn't even close to stock, or anything resembling stock for that matter!

I have had my fill is narrow/simple minded purists, and was curious if there was some flexibility to the VIP scene. Perhaps there was a different classification/style more along the lines of what I was suggesting/am after than "VIP" is.

Originally Posted by MIGS
if you're Not building an actual vip car, then you shouldn't even consider vip car accessories. That's gay. It just makes u look like a bandwagon rider and a poser.

certain things are exclusive to a certain type of car build. vip accessories only belong on a vip car, not even a "vip-styled" car. too many people f'ing up the scene throwing fusas on just ANYTHING now a days.
LOL

Ok, well... Is there some minimum level of docuhebagginess that needs to be met in order to achieve the rank or status of VIP. Like a pre-determine ratio of bedazzling to degrees of negative camber.

Or is it more of an ethereal plane of existence? Something to strive for, yet always just out of reach?

If neither, define an "actual VIP car" for me then... Because half the crap I see people saying is "VIP only" has been around for decades or is amalgamated from other styles and subcultures...
Old 10-01-13, 12:01 AM
Jlacck
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i love the simple touches i am seeing recently such as converting all your wood trim to a different color. it may sound cheezy but when done tastefully it can be very dramatic. accent and mood lighting in all the right places, i.e. door handles, etc.

here is jin ueno of kyoei usa's interior. all wood panels painted white. diamond stitching all over. and custom shift **** he made himself (more options under the arm rest). he said his goal is to be able to build a car that is feasible on a basic budget.
Soooooo the real question... Not to hijack the thread but that black and white interior is sick!! How much does something like that run to get that type work done in a car?
Old 10-15-13, 01:08 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

regardless of how ridiculous my interior looks, vip style has absolutely nothing to do with curtains or neck pads or how many pretzels or ropes you can hang from your mirror, or having crystals up the ***. If you see any vipcar or vipstyle magazine, almost none have any of the accessories. YES, they're vip style accessories, but by no means necessary. The whole curtains and neck pads and such are just the norm, bandwagon hopper starter kits. Having a true vip style interior is being creative and luxurious at the same time.Most have stock interior with crazy customer re-upholstery on the seats, door panels and especially headliners. If you don't like the color of your interior or worried about color matching, then change it. Yes, it can get costly, but its called VIP for a reason. Here's some good examples of nice true vip style interiors. Hope this helps your perspective a bit.

Old 10-15-13, 02:23 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
regardless of how ridiculous my interior looks, vip style has absolutely nothing to do with curtains or neck pads or how many pretzels or ropes you can hang from your mirror, or having crystals up the ***.
Lol, that's what I was hoping to hear!

If you see any vipcar or vipstyle magazine, almost none have any of the accessories. YES, they're vip style accessories, but by no means necessary. The whole curtains and neck pads and such are just the norm, bandwagon hopper starter kits.
Yeah, that seems to be how I view it and part of the reason why I started this thread... Some of the nicest VIP cars have none of those things and are just about being oppulent on the inside. I'm not sure what the term for the super crazy bejewelled/camber VIP style is, but that is what I'm trying to avoid. I'm not about jumping on the bandwagon, but I am about comfort and form... I've done suede headliners and pillars before, done the interior swap and custom seat pannels as well. I'm not planning on doing any of that with THIS car as it's more just a beater place holder while I finish school. Once done, I'll be getting a late LS430 or early 460 which would then get the full treatment I have planned.

Having a true vip style interior is being creative and luxurious at the same time.Most have stock interior with crazy customer re-upholstery on the seats, door panels and especially headliners. If you don't like the color of your interior or worried about color matching, then change it. Yes, it can get costly, but its called VIP for a reason. Here's some good examples of nice true vip style interiors. Hope this helps your perspective a bit.

That's what I'm ultimately after and yes it does help with the perspective. I'm all to familiar with the costs of working with higher end cars.... It's about $1.5-3k to get the seats recovered and stitched like the one pictured above, depending on the quality of materials. Something I'm not opposed to doing, just not on a $3000 car!
Old 10-15-13, 05:56 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

It's all good. It's all for the love of the build whether its a $3000 or 30,000 cars. When I bought my GS about 4 years ago it was about 10k at the time and have clearly gone over that to the point where I stopped counting haha. But the seat covers you can get some pretty nice ones from LeatherSeats.com. They've made some really nice ones with diamond stitching and according to their site only about $1,150

Last edited by Sonic_RC; 10-15-13 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 06:58 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

It's all good. It's all for the love of the build whether its a $3000 or 30,000 cars. When I bought my GS about 4 years ago it was about 10k at the time and have clearly gone over that to the point where I stopped counting haha. But the seat covers you can get some pretty nice ones from LeatherSeats.com. They've made some really nice ones with diamond stitching and according to their site only about $1,150

http://youtu.be/SrF7ZxRwHV0
Personally, I love the heck out of this and all, it's just that I'd still have to get my entire interior recolored (I want to run BMW Cinnamon/Black seats)... Any installed pictures? Also YaKuZa_GS, your car is a major inspiration for me in terms of your trunk setup. I absolutely love the sneaky panel setup and "peek-a-boo" amplifier rack you've got going on
Old 10-15-13, 07:50 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
Personally, I love the heck out of this and all, it's just that I'd still have to get my entire interior recolored (I want to run BMW Cinnamon/Black seats)... Any installed pictures? Also YaKuZa_GS, your car is a major inspiration for me in terms of your trunk setup. I absolutely love the sneaky panel setup and "peek-a-boo" amplifier rack you've got going on
Thanks man.... its a daily driver / show car... so functionality was a must.

Here's a few installed pics from leatherseats.com. I'm definitely feeling the piping over the double stitching around the edges.

http://www.leatherseats.com/gallery.asp?vehicle=Lexus
Old 10-15-13, 08:14 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^This is pretty dope, Id want something just like this but make it midnight purple leather/suede or midnight blue. Thats one advantage to having a black exterior...any interior color can work. From the tame (black, grey, tan, brown) to the crazy (pink, purple, orange, etc.)

Check out this K break GS

Last edited by Jeremiah87; 10-15-13 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-16-13, 12:05 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jeremiah87

^This is pretty dope, Id want something just like this but make it midnight purple leather/suede or midnight blue. Thats one advantage to having a black exterior...any interior color can work. From the tame (black, grey, tan, brown) to the crazy (pink, purple, orange, etc.)

Check out this K break GS

K Break Toyota Aristo & Lexus LS460 - YouTube
I made an old friend of mine cry with this video because of how bad she wanted it. True story.
Old 10-16-13, 12:32 AM
silos5
Driver

get inspired !
Old 10-16-13, 08:05 AM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
I made an old friend of mine cry with this video because of how bad she wanted it. True story.
Originally Posted by silos5

get inspired !
1. LOL damn thats sad
I know the feeling though.

2. Nice, I wouldn't mind that just with no text/writing on the seats.
Old 10-18-13, 03:49 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the owner of this odyssey knows whats up..plush and luxurious over flashy and trashy
Old 10-19-13, 12:03 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks man.... its a daily driver / show car... so functionality was a must.

Here's a few installed pics from leatherseats.com. I'm definitely feeling the piping over the double stitching around the edges.

http://www.leatherseats.com/gallery.asp?vehicle=Lexus
No probs man, keep it up! I'm shooting for form/function with my car as well I didn't want to impair any aspect of the car, functionally, in order to look good. Those seat covers fit pretty well. Not *as* tight as factory but still pretty close. The LS400 covers, on the other hand, seemed to fit really close. Also, would you mind PM'ing me about how you pulled off that plexiglass window?

Originally Posted by Jeremiah87
1. LOL damn thats sad
I know the feeling though.

2. Nice, I wouldn't mind that just with no text/writing on the seats.
Honestly, I think I was near tears in laughter when that happened (not sure if that makes me a bad person). As for the writing on the seats, I'm just going to go out on a limb here when I say it might be a shop's demo car. Typically, those are the ones with the ridiculous (read: complicated) interiors.
Originally Posted by 240benzo
the owner of this odyssey knows whats up..plush and luxurious over flashy and trashy
I've seen this sort of thing in a few "bippu" LS's and GS's I think it's pretty subtle (compared to some of these other posts) and it's a classic combo that works every time

Last edited by Sc0pe; 10-19-13 at 12:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Vexed by VIP...