LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Vexed by VIP...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-13, 08:28 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vexed by VIP...

So I'm at the point where I think I want to start doing things to the interior of my car, but I am struggling to come to grips with the gaudiness of a lot of the VIP stuff, yet like some of the features.

An example would be: I think I would enjoy some curtains (on every window but the windshield), neck pads and pillows but the blue/grey/slate interior of my car would contrast horribly with the color options for those parts... Not to mention the tacky bedazzling that adorns most things "VIP," isn't my style.

Then there are things like the Fusa/tsuna knots and the tables that are just pointless money traps in my eyes...

I guess my question is can you add some of those VIP-esque interior accessories, while not building to the VIP style, and still make it look good?
Are there any quality name-brands which are not horrendously bedazzled and not ludicrously priced? Or should I buy the cheap crap from eBay to get the rails and get some better material and custom make the curtains.
Does anyone have a color suggestion that would look too out of place in/on the blue/grey/slate interior of a silver 96?
Old 09-25-13, 10:37 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Haha all glitter and crystals look straight cheese. Never did like the look of VIP interiors that much. Didn't want a Fusa to obscure my vision or a glove box mounted table to knock out teeth if the airbag deploys. As for curtains well that' just relates to the outward vision thing. If anything I think this interior needs a power rear sunshade & more woodgrain and white LED's.
Old 09-25-13, 11:47 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

I have replaced every bulb in the interior with cool white bulbs already, so check!

I'm very torn on the curtain idea... Part of me would like it for the privacy aspect when parked (or when rolling even though I know it is illegal around here), but at the same time the cheese factor might be pretty high on a basically stock looking LS.
Old 09-26-13, 09:48 AM
oldyota
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ill try to post pics of mine all stock except for sc wheels, LED's in ALL lights, RCR's, clear corners, curtains, fusa.

I havent had time to install my BC-R's and get the right tires for lowering it.

I like it and dont care if its a little goofy looking for a while, it serves as inspiration to get more things done. Ill agree i dont like the bling of everything VIP i like more BOSO style and will be trying to achive my own look.

Fu@# it do what you want is my opinion.
Old 09-26-13, 10:03 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

not all styles or aspects of it appeal to everyone. the VIP style is just one style of doing things. you should always just build the car for you, and not to please others or meet a certain criteria! i see folks all the time showing off their JDM goodies, but they lack their own personality through the car.

i too have the same interior color and want curtains. they do make grey curtains if you can find them. black is always universal.
Old 09-26-13, 10:36 AM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
not all styles or aspects of it appeal to everyone. the VIP style is just one style of doing things. you should always just build the car for you, and not to please others or meet a certain criteria! i see folks all the time showing off their JDM goodies, but they lack their own personality through the car.

i too have the same interior color and want curtains. they do make grey curtains if you can find them. black is always universal.
I agree with this ^.

I personally like VIP style cars (exterior only), the interior I prefer to be left in all its OEM glory.
Nothing has to be down to the book, you can build your car anyway you please. The LED hyper white light upgrades are nice (form and function), the body kits, wheels, exhaust tips, and stance look great in my eyes. Its the cheesy hello kitty/bedazzled/pillow ridden interiors I loathe. But that's just me.

Whatever you like is what you like and that's all that matters.

P.S. I didn't want to make a new thread to waste space but one quick question, how many posts do I need before I can create a for sale thread for cars and parts?
Old 09-26-13, 11:35 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, I'm not and never have built any of my cars for anyone but myself. This is not a show car and is strictly a dd, so I'm not super worried if it does or doesn't encompass a specific style or not.

More so, I was hoping people would post pics of their cars as comparables for that bridge style... Everything I search for seems to be either OEM, ghetto-sloppy or uber-bedazzled when it comes interiors on these cars.

I'm looking for that OEM+ style I guess.
Enhancements that improve comfort without being overtly obvious.
Old 09-26-13, 05:00 PM
oldyota
Driver

They do have EBAY gray.

I purchased the JP logo curtains (small) for front and rear. and EBAY black $15 long curtains for he back window (not installed yet)

im looking to get some donor interior parts and try to use some different fabric for the door inserts. that may be an idea for you. I know my armrest (recovered with black fur) in my scion tc was my favorite mod and it was the cheapest and got the most attention.

Also I would like to see what a front windscreen tint strip would do for my fishbowl with curtains?
Old 09-26-13, 05:40 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i love the simple touches i am seeing recently such as converting all your wood trim to a different color. it may sound cheezy but when done tastefully it can be very dramatic. accent and mood lighting in all the right places, i.e. door handles, etc.

here is jin ueno of kyoei usa's interior. all wood panels painted white. diamond stitching all over. and custom shift **** he made himself (more options under the arm rest). he said his goal is to be able to build a car that is feasible on a basic budget.
Old 09-26-13, 09:08 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
So I'm at the point where I think I want to start doing things to the interior of my car, but I am struggling to come to grips with the gaudiness of a lot of the VIP stuff, yet like some of the features.

An example would be: I think I would enjoy some curtains (on every window but the windshield), neck pads and pillows but the blue/grey/slate interior of my car would contrast horribly with the color options for those parts... Not to mention the tacky bedazzling that adorns most things "VIP," isn't my style.

Then there are things like the Fusa/tsuna knots and the tables that are just pointless money traps in my eyes...

I guess my question is can you add some of those VIP-esque interior accessories, while not building to the VIP style, and still make it look good?
Are there any quality name-brands which are not horrendously bedazzled and not ludicrously priced? Or should I buy the cheap crap from eBay to get the rails and get some better material and custom make the curtains.
Does anyone have a color suggestion that would look too out of place in/on the blue/grey/slate interior of a silver 96?
I'd say change your interior colors or try get black neck pillows and pull off a sort of two-tone. Or, get the neck pillows and have them re-dyed to the color of your choice.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 09-30-13 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-29-13, 06:47 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

I'd love to get my hands on a complete 96 donor car with a black interior, but it's not a high odds that I'll find one for a reasonable price and with an interior as clean as my current interior.

Not only that, but I do not plan to keep this car forever... I'd like to upgrade into a later LS430 or an early 460 in a few years!
Old 09-29-13, 07:02 PM
oldyota
Driver

this is what im shooting for exterior. (photoshop of my car by other member)

then interior will be using the same style of these door inserts. different fabric but same bold look and placement.
Old 09-30-13, 12:24 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee

if you're Not building an actual vip car, then you shouldn't even consider vip car accessories. That's gay. It just makes u look like a bandwagon rider and a poser.

certain things are exclusive to a certain type of car build. vip accessories only belong on a vip car, not even a "vip-styled" car. too many people f'ing up the scene throwing fusas on just ANYTHING now a days.
Old 09-30-13, 01:16 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do what you want. It's your car. some people may think it looks silly or whatever but in the end it is yours.

I like the VIP cars but not much into the accessories myself.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 09-30-13, 02:54 PM
oldyota
Driver

Originally Posted by MIGS
if you're Not building an actual vip car, then you shouldn't even consider vip car accessories. That's gay. It just makes u look like a bandwagon rider and a poser.

certain things are exclusive to a certain type of car build. vip accessories only belong on a vip car, not even a "vip-styled" car. too many people f'ing up the scene throwing fusas on just ANYTHING now a days.
i would have to disagree. If you like a fusa and know what it is and why you would put it in your car. DO IT!

I would agree that too many people just do it because... like the f***ing shocker stickers 99.999 percent of people dont even know the origination of that symbol (no its not sexual)

Quick Reply: Vexed by VIP...