LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Guess who got a Lexus car phone today? This guy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-13, 06:40 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 253 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
If they ban hands free cell phone use, then to be logical, they will need to ban talking to the other passengers in the car even while looking at the road and never even looking at the listener.

This is just common sense!
Oddly, most with "common sense" thought the earth was flat until science proved otherwise.

It appears that you did not read any of the articles at the Google search link I posted. I wish what you think was true. I would hate to see hands-free banned.

Regarding the restriction of hands-free being enforceable, technology already exists that can prevent cell phones from working in a moving vehicle. I know people who have installed widely available "parental control" applications on their teenage drivers'' cell phones that prevent them from functioning in a moving vehicle. Here is another Google link to articles for you to read or not read: https://www.google.com/#fp=ece303f9a...+while+driving
Old 08-25-13, 07:41 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Oddly, most with "common sense" thought the earth was flat until science proved otherwise.
not really, the smart people back then recognized that the horizon, and a view from a tall mountain contradicts a "flat earth" view of things, as does star gazing!

It appears that you did not read any of the articles at the Google search link I posted. I wish what you think was true. I would hate to see hands-free banned.
I read all links you post, but wasn't impressed much, as talking and motor skills can be multitasked effectively (why you can talk and drive, or talk and clean your kitchen simultaneously and do a fabulous job of each) but you cannot talk and text or talk and email, etc. - that latter type uses the same area of the brain and *cannot* be multitasked, only "task switched" and not effectively or safely.

Regarding the restriction of hands-free being enforceable, technology already exists that can prevent cell phones from working in a moving vehicle. I know people who have installed widely available "parental control" applications on their teenage drivers'' cell phones that prevent them from functioning in a moving vehicle.
again, I stand by unenforceable, as first of all, "apps" are optional, not mandatory, and most of those are only block texting in a moving vehicle, which I support, although it does infringe on the rights of the other passengers who would also lose their ability to text.

The only other option is a jammer to block all phone use when the vehicle is moving by all passengers, and I don't ever see that happening either! - You could not be reached in an emergency, even as a passenger! - You cannot even legally purchase a jammer for your own use within your own home or vehicle, at least not in USA.
Old 08-25-13, 08:47 AM
jcp2k
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crybicki

Okay, okay, so no, it won't work because it's analog.

Also, to my knowledge these were not put in the 1993 LS400's, which is what I have.

BUT.

The 1992 LS400 @ the junkyard that is my donor car, who I conveniently named Alexis, has had the car phone since I first started taking parts from her. Today, I finally looked at what it would take to install this bad boy, even if it was just for show. Turns out, it is completely possible to install it into the passenger foot-well just like it comes stock. As far as the wiring goes, So far all I got for the components was the actual phone, the harness, and the two wires that come out of it, one is a microphone, the other is a land line (LAN line?) the "phone line".

I have also found a couple places where people did digital conversions but those looks super, super complicated.

I am going to call around just to humor myself and see if any phone company knows of a way to get service to these even with them being analog. It is highly likely that it isn't possible, but it isn't going to cost me anything to find out.

Regardless, I will post pictures of my super cool looking car phone after I get it installed this evening.

I'm. Excited.

Nice I have a 92 that came with the phone from factory . Still turns on and dials tones are played through the speakers. My steering wheel has controls for it also! aha I too been wondering if there's a way to get service cause its a unique thing to have.

P.s. I named my car alexus too

Last edited by jcp2k; 08-25-13 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-25-13, 09:33 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

I read all links you post, but wasn't impressed much, as talking and motor skills can be multitasked effectively (why you can talk and drive, or talk and clean your kitchen simultaneously and do a fabulous job of each) but you cannot talk and text or talk and email, etc. - that latter type uses the same area of the brain and *cannot* be multitasked, only "task switched" and not effectively or safely.
Then you probably will not like hearing that a reliable inverse relationship has been found between how well a person things he does while driving and talking on the phone and their actual performance while driving and talking on the phone.

The assumption is that those who think they do especially well in driving while phoning are over confident in their abilities which leads to them to exhibit more dangerous behaviors and cause more "crashes" - although the things these drivers crashed into during these tests were objects like traffic cones and Styrofoam barriers.

So, Cowboy, based on results from scientific testing, you may be significantly more dangerous while driving and phoning than the average driver.

31 years (retired) in the automobile insurance industry probably affects my perspective on all this.

It is becoming standard procedure for cell phone records to be subpoenaed after a serious crash.

Do you think we got a little bit off topic here????
Old 08-25-13, 12:38 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

oh my! - you had better get this news flash to the Formula One drivers, the Indy drivers, and the NASCAR drivers, and the rally drivers, because they are surely screwing up their race performance with all of that talk on the radio! - OMG!

though I'm sure it's probably fine, I doubt they ever have to make any split second decisions or fast reactions while driving at 200+ mph

oh, and here is a statistic for your insurance database, in 52 years, with over 10 years of that using hands-free phone, I have never been involved in an auto accident (over half a million miles)

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 08-25-13 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 01:34 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

oh, and here is a statistic for your insurance database, in 52 years, with over 10 years of that using hands-free phone, I have never been involved in an auto accident (over half a million miles)
So ... if you have been driving 52 years, we must be about the same age. You might want to start wearing Depends to be ready for the day someone else crashes into your car while messing with his phone! It can be a pee-in-your-pants experience while the firemen pry you out of your car.

I've never hit anyone either while using a cell phone over the past 23 1/2 years but I have sure had some very close calls - especially in the weeks right after I got that first cell phone with my 90 LS400.

You're always fun, Cowboy. Watch out for the bull.
Old 08-25-13, 01:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,577 Likes on 1,856 Posts

There are absolutely studies out there that show driving while using a hands free phone is equally as unsafe as using a handheld phones. I've read them.

Enjoyed seeing the pics of the old phones, although I don't quite understand why someone would would want to install a non working aftermarket car phone in their car...but that's just me.

Funny you mentioned the old portable phones Jim, my dad's 98 LS had the "Portable Plus" phone, wasn't a flip phone but it was a portable Lexus branded Motorola phone installed in the armrest with he controller on the steering wheel. It was expensive, if I remember correctly it was like $2,500. Within a few years he had gotten a CDMA StarTac and then spent the rest of the time until he traded the 98 on the 04 trying to come up with a hands free solution for that, he had speaker things that plugged into the cigarette lighter, etc. then I remember trying to find him a phone with Bluetooth so he could use the Bluetooth on his new 04, wasn't that easy back then...he had to leave Verizon and go to Cingular because Verizon wouldn't allow Bluetooth phones at the time...then he had to go back to Verizon when they did finally have one because Cingular was awful. He spent a LOT on phone solutions between 98-04... How far we've come!
Old 08-25-13, 01:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

back on topic gents....
Old 08-29-13, 09:05 PM
Crybicki
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
back on topic gents....
agreed.