LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1UZ Engine Shutting off when temperature rises to half

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-13, 11:55 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Years ago I had a 4th gen maxima with a bad ect sensor and it had the exact same symptoms you describe. I realize its a different animal entirely but it did exactly what you describe. It was like 15$ for the OEM last I checked on rockauto.
Old 08-26-13, 04:48 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
The speedometer is not directly driven by the speed sensor. There is an ECU in between them. The signal from the speed sensor is sent to the ECU and processed. The ECU uses the processed signal to control the AT and others. The speedometer is just one of those others.

When the speed sensor is failed, there happens not only no movement of the speedometer but also many other problems such as no mileage increase, the AT doesn't shift properly, the gas mileage calculation fails and etc.

So there might be a possibility that the speed sensor is OK but the ECU is not fully OK.
Thanks for the clarification Yaemae.
Old 08-30-13, 04:03 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The speedometer is not directly driven by the speed sensor. There is an ECU in between them. The signal from the speed sensor is sent to the ECU and processed. The ECU uses the processed signal to control the AT and others. The speedometer is just one of those others.

When the speed sensor is failed, there happens not only no movement of the speedometer but also many other problems such as no mileage increase, the AT doesn't shift properly, the gas mileage calculation fails and etc.

So there might be a possibility that the speed sensor is OK but the ECU is not fully OK.
Your feedback is appreciated on this thread Yamae.....Im having the ECT changed with the genuine Toyota Part as LSCowboy advised......fingers crossed..
Old 08-30-13, 04:07 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by j2b4o
Years ago I had a 4th gen maxima with a bad ect sensor and it had the exact same symptoms you describe. I realize its a different animal entirely but it did exactly what you describe. It was like 15$ for the OEM last I checked on rockauto.

you've just given me a little more hope.....This problem is so weird....No smoke at all, No codes...Luckily for this forum Im pointed in the right direction!
Old 08-30-13, 11:59 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by j2b4o
this is arguably the most important sensor on your car, I would not cheap out and go with the no name China sensor from RockAuto, when the genuine Toyota sensor is only $30 more or so from some of the discounting Lexus dealers online such as Sewell Lexus.

The correct p/n is 89422-20010
Old 08-30-13, 12:05 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

OP - this is the reasoning why my first post indicated that I suspect failing ECU capacitors

but try the genuine Toyota temp sensor referenced above first.
Old 09-02-13, 09:29 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rock auto has maybe 8 options for the sensor atleast 3 of which have the exact same part number you present. Delphi, delco, beck, airtex all share te OEM number as alternates, it's likely the exact same part repackaged. Which is why I sad buy the "OEM"from rockauto. You want to waste money buying from Lexus be my guest but the parts are of the same origin reguard less of who sells them.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 09-02-13 at 03:09 PM. Reason: lose the attitude.
Old 09-04-13, 11:36 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Ok this is getting somewhat tiresome and depressing.

I changed the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor to the original toyota part p/n 89422-20010.

The problem still persists...
Old 09-06-13, 06:52 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

I have taken back my 1996 Lexus LS400 from the mechanics to try solve this problem with the help of the more experienced Lexus owners on this forum.
I have been using the vehicle for the past couple days, and I have observed the following problems;
FIRST START on a morning (engine is cold) --- The vehicle works beastly perfect in traffic and on highway. No smoke, no rough idling. Normal Idle at 500 RPM

After 20 minutes (when the engine is warm) ----The vehicle begins to rough idle. No smoke.
------------------------------------------------------------When in traffic, it rough idles and the RPM drops below 500RPM and consequently cuts off. UNLESS while in traffic, I put the vehicle in Neutral and Accelerate\ REV till the Tachometer needle reaches at least the 2000RPM mark then I release the acceleration, only then the rough idle stops and idles normally again at 500RPM….and I work it like this “coasting” in traffic. However, if I drive in traffic accelerating under 2000RPM, the rough idle and shutting off would persist.
-------------------------------------------------------------When driving on highway (80 mph and more) which is above 2000 RPM on the Tachometer, the vehicle does not rough idle, it runs smooth. However, If I am driving slowly on the highway (approximately below the 2000RPM) the rough idle and jerking would persist.

My thoughts--- The mere fact that I am experiencing this problem when;
1) The Vehicle/Engine/Engine components are getting heated;

Leads me to believe that I can narrow down to either (A) Ignition coils (B) Fuel Pump

2) When heated, only runs smooth when I accelerate approximately above 2000RPM;

Leads me to further narrow down to (B) Fuel Pump

Your suggestions please. Furthermore, a Part number for this fuel pump would also be helpful.
Old 09-06-13, 01:39 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Matt - fuel pumps and coils are extremely rare to go out in a 96 LS400

I told ya what the extremely likely source of the problem is, back at the beginning of this thread, the ECU capacitors, this is very common and you have the symptoms!

why replace all kinds of other things first, rather than start with what has time and time again solved this issue for so many folks?
Old 09-07-13, 04:26 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Your informative thread on ECU Failing Capacitors was relayed to my electrician, and when asked, he told me that he changed the stated capacitors. As advised, I am doing the systematic approach..
Old 09-07-13, 08:57 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

he didn't use the correct rare special type capacitors, because he didn't know any better and you hadn't ordered the ones I linked to, to supply to him - happens all of the time.
Old 09-10-13, 04:57 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

I will request a list of the capacitors to which he replaced. However, I am proceeding to change the fuel pump in my 96LS400....any advice or a link to where I can source a gasket for the fuel pump set plate would be appreciated.
Old 09-10-13, 06:49 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MattLS400
I have taken back my 1996 Lexus LS400 from the mechanics to try solve this problem with the help of the more experienced Lexus owners on this forum.
So now you are changing the fuel pump? It's your car and money, but I would listen to the advice and look further into your ecu. It MUST be done with the correct caps, and is not an easy job.
Old 09-11-13, 07:22 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

I am having these caps ordered and changed weekend God's willing.

Quick Reply: 1UZ Engine Shutting off when temperature rises to half