LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

MAF sensor replaced but still having issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-13, 04:07 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
got any sons/grandsons/nephews, etc that are good with a wrench that you could supervise doing that part?
Wow.......what about daughters/granddaughters/nieces? My daughter helps me all the time, and she's pretty damn good. Sometimes even more strength then me, and I'm only 47. She actually got one of my shocks in when I gave up trying to get it in.
Old 08-16-13, 04:36 PM
SC93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love you guys...I'm still pretty agile when the right window occurs.. good one week and bad the next.

Cowboy.. doing some preliminary scanning of my ECU removal project and looking at my
glove box area. Hold my hand here...don't know if there is a big difference between LS
and SC models but when I open my glove box I see nothing. No screw removal covers, no
lower box(what does that mean) no hidden panel. When my glove compartment is open
it is a small box and it has a snap cover on the left top when removed exposes a couple of
connectors. Below my glove box is a large snap on cover when removed exposes the cabin air
filter slot. Do I have to remove the fake plastic wood grain trim above the glove box to access
the three screws shown in your schematic.

Sorry for so many questions but I want to proceed at a controlled pace but am at a standstill.
Old 08-16-13, 05:30 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC93
don't know if there is a big difference between LS
and SC models but when I open my glove box I see nothing. No screw removal covers, no
lower box(what does that mean) no hidden panel. When my glove compartment is open
it is a small box and it has a snap cover on the left top when removed exposes a couple of
connectors.
Below my glove box is a large snap on cover when removed exposes the cabin air
filter slot. Do I have to remove the fake plastic wood grain trim above the glove box to access
the three screws shown in your schematic.
The SC and LS are different. The only thing you are saying that I know is the same would be the connectors on the left. Are they yellow? That would be for the passenger airbag. I would suggest disconnecting the battery and waiting 90 seconds before unhooking those connectors. A good idea when working anywhere around the airbag, ya dont need that thing going off unexpectedly. Everything else is different. The LS doesn't have the wood trim and does have hidden screws with covers on the flat bottom of the glove box inside.
Old 08-16-13, 07:55 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

yeah, I was thinking LS400, I fall into that mode sometimes, a 93 SC, heck that ECU might even be in the engine compartment like this 99 GS I am working on!

if it was, then it would be super-easy to remove

but it's not, that one is passenger side kick panel, under the carpet and under the cover plate, sort of like my 96 Acura RL

Name:  101_0986.jpg
Views: 4806
Size:  176.5 KB

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 08-16-13 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-17-13, 05:08 AM
SC93
Rookie

cowboy..

Lets face it..my car is 20 yrs old and like you said being in Fl the probability is high that the ECU
caps are either bad or on their way out. So, I have made my mind up to replace them and need
the values for the caps that are correct for my 1993 sc400. I have not yet got to the ECU unit
but would like to go ahead order the caps from Digi-key today. I hope I can get them all from this
outlet and I assume they will offer the caps in small order quantities.If I may impose, could you or
Yamae work me up the cap list.

I'm all pumped up re this whole project and maybe a bit on the "r u nuts" side but enjoy problem
solving even tho stressful at times. Keeps me out of my favorite watering hole to my wife's
delight but, still able to sip on a nice glass of red while toiling away.

Thx in advance.

ps i c where there r 2 different ecu's for 93sc400 89661-24230 or 24240
my vin # is JT8U230C!P0025632 if that is needed maybe the 230 after the U is a key??

Last edited by SC93; 08-17-13 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-17-13, 07:09 AM
SC93
Rookie

Am I wearing you guys out??

Found a post (not on a forum) where this guy was able to remove his ECU 92SC400 w/o
dropping the glove box. I am still sniffing around the passenger side location and can feel
the cavity area where the ECU is located. I guess I am a little timid here but when you
peel back the carpet do you just tug and pull it out or down or is there some magic in
getting it loose?? Don't want to damage it.

Also, it seems like on about 90% of the diy projects I plow into, I spend more time trying to
figure out how to separate connector modules than on basic problem at hand. Every one seems
to be different...squeeze the sides, squeeze the middle, use a small screw driver...am I basically
incompetent or is this a shared issue with some?? That especially happened to me when I
removed my dash cluster for bulb replacement. Bulb change out was a snap, unplugging
modules was a mth'r.
Old 08-17-13, 07:39 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Not wearing anyone out. Everyone here is here to help, and get our own info for things we're not sure about. I know the carpet has a couple clips going into the center console, other then that I forget any more. You would get more info on that in the SC section of Clublexus.
Old 08-17-13, 08:51 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I believe it is possible to remove the ECU without removing the glovebox, now whether it is easier, may be another story!

I personally like to order the caps once I have verified the values inside, however, I understand you don't want to drive with the insides tore up for a few days while they are in the mail, so I can give you a list that might contain a couple of caps too many, and cause you to spend an extra $2, but should definitely have anything you will find covered!

qty 3 of the 10uF from my links in post 1 of the ECU thread
qty 3 of the 15uF from my links in post 1
qty 3 of the 47uF from my links in post 1
qty 3 of the 100uF from my links in post 1
qty 2 of the 220uF from my links in post 1

I spend more time trying to
figure out how to separate connector modules than on basic problem at hand. Every one seems
to be different...squeeze the sides, squeeze the middle, use a small screw driver...am I basically
incompetent or is this a shared issue with some?? That especially happened to me when I
removed my dash cluster for bulb replacement. Bulb change out was a snap, unplugging
modules was a mth'r.
yeah, connectors are a pain, and sometimes even the pros will have one get stuck and have to destroy it getting it off (our alternator plug comes to mind)

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 08-17-13 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-17-13, 09:28 AM
SC93
Rookie

thx cb...will order right now. btw, i was able to pull the carpet down but ecu is not visible so
i guess the box has to come out for better access. but making some progress.
Old 08-17-13, 10:07 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

no, ECU is under a metal plate, do you see it under the carpet?
Old 08-17-13, 10:19 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Damn cowboy, in that pic is that where the ECU is actually located? If so that's stupid. If the heater core leaks, that thing is toast. And with all this Lexus technology.
Old 08-17-13, 11:05 AM
SC93
Rookie

cowboy..

with the floor carpet pulled back, I see a black plastic cover on the slope where your feet would be as a passenger. I can reach behind it with my fingers and seem to touch a smooth metal box which may be the ECU. I thought that cover was over the heater core or something like that. So it is under this???? Very accessible and if you feel like my little jewel is hiding there, i'm all over it. Again, cover is plastic.

Order placed for caps.

Last edited by SC93; 08-17-13 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-17-13, 11:42 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

been a while since I have done an SC ECU pull, but I remember a cover, don't remember color or material, but the ECU itself is a dull metalic aluminum box about 7 x 8 inches with 100 wires (literally) coming out of the bottom (front) of it

it is clear in the photo above - the very bottom silver box right above the carpet, see all of the wires?

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 08-17-13 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-17-13, 12:25 PM
SC93
Rookie

cowboy...i just went ahead and pulled the cover and behold...the hidden treasure.

i'm going to happy hour and celebrate and maybe later tonite after i am totally relaxed from
quaffing a few wines, i will don my surgical white cotton outfit and while barefooted, dissect
this mth'r and gaze upon all those little vertical cylinders weeping orange liquid all over the
delicate board.

hope to take some pics. i assume i should not be using a magnetized headed screw driver
while taking apart, correct? and oh yes, battery is disconnected.

peace
Old 08-17-13, 05:38 PM
SC93
Rookie

well, i am quite taken aback. took the ecu unit apart and couldn't beleive how clean and pristine the
whole board looked. every cap was totally intact, zero discoloration, tops were totally flat, no
buldges, no signs of heat stress at the bases. i am not a circuit board expert but if i opened a new
computer and looked at the board it would not look any different than mine. i am having a problem taking a
close up of the board... getting blurry pics and lots of reflection (some pics are just white). I think
my camera is ok because it is normal for distance pics...any suggestions of taking close ups. i'll try again later.

anyhow, i really believe both cowboy and yamae would be hard pressed to detect any potentially
bad caps looking at a clear pic of the board.

so, can caps be bad and not show any outward sings of deterioration?

Quick Reply: MAF sensor replaced but still having issues.