LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lug nuts: Muteki, project kics, work or other?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 10:43 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lug nuts: Muteki, project kics, work or other?

My wheels are finished and ready to go on but I don't have nice looking lug nuts so I need to grab some new ones... Preferably extended length lug nuts.

Wheels are diamond faced with black insets, polished lips and exposed lugs.

Some options I have found are Muteki, blox, buddy-club, evs, greedy, project kics, rays, TiTek, weds, work, Volk....

Looking for high security but has to look good as well. Not interested in aluminum nuts, strictly steel or titanium or something else other than aluminum. Max budget is $250 but would prefer less if at all possible.

Suggestions?
Old 06-05-13, 02:36 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Knock off lugs are junk, I destroyed a couple before I got my Project Kics R40's. 5 years now and no issues.
Old 06-05-13, 03:09 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ i personally like project kics, specifically the r40. and yeah you really do get what you pay for.
Old 06-05-13, 04:29 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I'm sort of leaning towards the Project Kics, but the prices i keep finding are all over the place. $350 at one vendor, $220 at another... no idea which ones are real and which ones are being marked up 20%

Legit?
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/KICS...x1-50-Lug-Nuts

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Volk...Lug-Nuts-Black

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/KICS...ed-Ended-Black

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm...tegory_Code=L1

http://www.weaksauceparts.com/store/...COMPOISTE.html

http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewP...idproduct=4534

or does anyone have know of other legit sources?

thinking Black, Gunmetal/ Titanium or polished if possible.

Last edited by Shmee; 06-05-13 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-05-13, 04:38 PM
Ls400RR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't waste anytime

POWERED BY MAX are the sexiest.
Old 06-05-13, 06:42 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

you placed a caveat that they need to be high security. most of these lugs you listed do have locks but are hardly high security. they are at most medium security. if you want high security it's best to have multiple lock sets installed but that will blow your budget.

ever consider volk racing formula lugs? may be out of budget.
Old 06-06-13, 12:39 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

My muteki's have been great for the past 4 years, lotta friends running them too.
Old 06-06-13, 01:30 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Timmy,
Yeah, I'm aware that if a thief really wants your stuff, he's going to get it. And in a lot of cases it is simply a matter of stealing the whole car to get the parts they want. I'm more concerned about the wheels stolen in the driveway where it's more of a smash and grab than a methodical and deliberate stripping of the car.

Even high security wheel lugs are not "THAT" high security if you have some skill and knowledge. I have had to remove lots of lock nuts for work and most of the time it's as simple as smashing a twist socket over the nuts or drilling a small pocket, driving a large triple-square in and the lock nuts are off almost as fast as a regular nut. Both are things that are simpler and less conspicuous to do in private. smashing a twist socket on with a hammer or using a drill before smashing in a triple-square are slightly obvious that ill-doings are afoot!
The pro knows this and would sooner jack the whole car than be stupid enough to do that road side or in someone's driveway.

I'm more concerned with the average punk kids not being able to steal them with a regular socket and breaker bar.

I'm down with the Volks but at ~$400/set, I fail to see the added security over the project kics or any heptagon all nuts for half that or less in many cases. I don't live in an area with a high crime rate for such things anyways... Might be a bit overkill considering, I have 2 big dogs that bark loudly at the slightest sketchy sound around the house at night!
Old 06-06-13, 05:02 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

That's exactly it. I couldn't justify spending twice the price on Volks. I did get my R40's from a tuner shop in Richmond for $220.
Old 06-06-13, 10:05 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

$220 in Richmond eh? Was that for the revo or standard R40s?

I like the look of the muteki and the fact that they are not aluminum. Some of the issues with them are chipping and color fading... My hope is to find something that won't chip or fade as black nuts that turn purple or brown as they sun-age look pretty lame.

As of right now, it's a toss-up between the project Kics revo R40s, the 42mm heptagonal Rays, the plain heptagonal Kics, and the Powered by Max...
The powered by max and the heptagonal kicks are the cheapest by far, then the Rays and project Kics Revo.
I would prefer a closed end nut....
Old 06-06-13, 11:09 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

wow i never knew those ray lugs were that expensive. i thought they would be comparable to the project kics. what wheels are you installing hmm?!
Old 06-06-13, 11:15 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I've had Muteki lugs on my SC300 for almost three years and they haven't given me any trouble. Everyone loves the way they look at meets.

I just got some blue Work RS lugs for my LS last week and they look amazing on the car. They were $150 but it was totally worth it.
Old 06-06-13, 11:49 AM
Mega
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have run muteki on my Rx7 with bbs, and I'm running them on the Lexus with work's.

Muteki are great quality steel lug nuts.
Old 06-06-13, 12:09 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

A thread in the 2-IS section:
who has the sexiest lug nuts?

Those Project Kics R40 Lug Nuts do look
Old 06-06-13, 12:52 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
wow i never knew those ray lugs were that expensive. i thought they would be comparable to the project kics. what wheels are you installing hmm?!
I'm installing wheels that justify the cost of some nice expensive lug nuts!
Truth be told, the wheels are worth more than I spent on buying this car but I paid substantially less than they are worth!
FedEx helped by dumping them off the truck, bending ALL of them (minutely but still bent) and then they covered the cost for a full refinish on all them.

RA40,
After looking at that thread, I'm kind of tempted to go with a neochrome or a burnt titanium look rather than black... The color of the nuts should pop nicely on the diamond cut faces and lips on my wheels!
That means I'm now looking at ~$300 project Kics or $100 muteki's..... Hmmmm....

Quick Reply: Lug nuts: Muteki, project kics, work or other?