LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

92 ls400 coolant keep being overpressurize...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-13, 11:05 PM
Lexus400Dd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 ls400 coolant keep being overpressurize...

At 230k now.. previous owner did change the timing belt and waterpump....was just driving and luckily i got it home safe and when i look to the ground and their no steam or smoke .. but coolany leaking out ..possibly from the overflow tank.. then i parked the car for about 3hrs anf then put some coolant into the overflow resorvoir. And then let the car run and also turn the ac on and about 2 min of ac turn on..once again the resorvoir is being flooded with coolant again.. i untighten the 17mm bleeder valve and it also burse out with steam and coolant... i cant tell if the thermostat is sticking or not but it barely happen tonight.. so please shed somelight
Old 05-30-13, 11:08 PM
Lexus400Dd
Driver School Candidate

By the way how do i checm my waterpump.. and also how do i check my thermostat.. please dont tel me is my radiator.....
Old 05-31-13, 07:33 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Are you sure it's not just condensation from the a/c running??

Do you hear any bubbling in the resivior or the rad?

Was the gauge running hot?
Old 05-31-13, 08:57 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

was the system bled?
Old 05-31-13, 09:28 AM
Lexus400Dd
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for replies guys
. But for sure is not condensation from the ac running because i open the hood and let the car run and and after two 2min of running no smoke .. no steam. Just coolant being push out of the reservoir.. and no boiling or whatsoever.. i pay close attention to the gauge while the car running and during those 2 min with ac on.. the gauge still not climbing to the H mark.. ..
The system been working perfectly for idk forever ?? Then suddenly last night on the way home from the hair cut place .. and that like within 8 miles to 9 miles home..then look on the floor and look at the reservoir and it full of coolant.. and i turn the cap for a tiny bit and cooolant pour out really fast then i tigten the cap and let it seat
Old 05-31-13, 09:59 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

What happened suddenly on the way home from the haircut place?
The heat gauge went towards the hot?
Old 05-31-13, 10:41 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

is it coming out from the coolant level sensor? there is a rubber o-ring that you can replace very easy. or just see if the sensor just needs to be tightened. use a pair of wide mouth pliers and peel back the rubber cover. If its coming from the seal where the top and bottom of tank meet than replace tank with a salvage one.

Last edited by johnnyg66; 05-31-13 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-31-13, 10:43 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

And the thermostat is a easy to replace too. two screws and your done. may have to drain some coolant first but not too much. Just make sure its a lexus brand.
Old 05-31-13, 05:05 PM
Lexus400Dd
Driver School Candidate

Now that u said it might come out and leak from the temp sensor i think it might be it because i cant find a leak anywhere from any of the hose but it does look like it leaking from the bottom of the reservoir before last night i lossen the overflow tank cap. Cause before i open the cap it does look like it leaking from the bottom of the tank...... thank i will try to see if that it is... how will do i fix it if i need a new o ring. And can i just buy the nee temp sensor then ? And second ..where is thr temp sensor anyway
Old 05-31-13, 10:04 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

See pic #4 on this thread to see both coolant temp sensors.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ange-pics.html
Old 06-01-13, 03:52 PM
Lexus400Dd
Driver School Candidate

What i dont understand is that why myncoolant all force into the overflow reservoir and all full suddenly...taht what i want to find out
Old 06-03-13, 02:39 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

well there are several things that can cause high pressure and/or overheating of the cooling system, and many of them are cheap to fix:

● new radiator cap from the dealership (don't laugh, you would be amazed how often this is the problem)
● new thermostat from dealership (verify that its jiggler hole is at 12 o'clock)
● bleed system by refilling at the FILL BOLT, a large bolt behind the thermostat that points down towards the ground
● replace the gauge sender (single wire) with the dealership part so that you know what the true temperature is
● borrow an exhaust sniffer and sniff overflow reservoir for presence of exhaust (will provide evidence of blown head gasket or other engine issue)

if none of that solves it, then your problem is likely one of the following more expensive repairs:

● worn out radiator
● worn out water pump
● worn out fan clutch
● engine issue causing excessive heat (i.e. blown head gasket, etc)
Old 06-07-13, 12:02 PM
Lexus400Dd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
well there are several things that can cause high pressure and/or overheating of the cooling system, and many of them are cheap to fix:

● new radiator cap from the dealership (don't laugh, you would be amazed how often this is the problem)
● new thermostat from dealership (verify that its jiggler hole is at 12 o'clock)
● bleed system by refilling at the FILL BOLT, a large bolt behind the thermostat that points down towards the ground
● replace the gauge sender (single wire) with the dealership part so that you know what the true temperature is
● borrow an exhaust sniffer and sniff overflow reservoir for presence of exhaust (will provide evidence of blown head gasket or other engine issue)

if none of that solves it, then your problem is likely one of the following more expensive repairs:

● worn out radiator
● worn out water pump
● worn out fan clutch
● engine issue causing excessive heat (i.e. blown head gasket, etc)

1.i will also get a radiator cap ... and im not laugjing at it
2.i will also get a new thermostat and also what do u mean jiggler to verify.. i opened that bolt but cant see or seem to know if my thermostat is sticky or not
3.i will refill the coolant tonight with that bolts. To see....
4...i search and i rarely see a HG went out on the v8 ls.. and there no present of oil in my coolant cause i sniff both the coolaant and oil no present of each in eather case

My gauage doesnt climbing to H mark.. aka hot.. but it stay at the same spot for the rest of 10 min of running he engine in underload with the ac running .. and gauge seems fine.. i think i migt have an worn out o ring from one of the sensor as johnnyls said.. but i will change the cap and thermostat and bleed and refill the coolant and might asweel replace the coolant tank also.. just to be safe.. but which worn oring from which sensor you guys might think
Old 06-07-13, 08:57 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

I am saying the o-ring on the coolant tank level sensor. It sits on the reservoir tank.
Old 06-12-13, 12:04 PM
Lexus400Dd
Driver School Candidate

Well i change the thermostat and the coolant temp sensor on top of the engine and it not over heat or show a sign of ovet heat... well can u send me the the picture of the sensor

Quick Reply: 92 ls400 coolant keep being overpressurize...