LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brake wear indicator flashing

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 03:28 AM
auditray20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake wear indicator flashing

Hi Guys,

I have a Brake wear indicator flashing on my 1999 LS 400. All the pads are 75% and more. I did a Continuity test and there was continuity in the sensors. Fluid ok and disconnecting the fluid sensor changes nothing, I fitted different pads and sensors also . So two sets of sensors (which all check out ok anyway) and by passing the sensors does not put out the light

I have read many posts but no info relating to this particular issue. Is there some way to reset this light. Tried the battery disconnect for hours at a time but to no avail.

Does that warning light suggest any other problems within the car, something unrelated to brakes.
Old 04-25-13, 03:56 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

When a brake wear sensor detects worn brake pads on a 98-00 LS400, a message displays in the dash cluster. I don't remember a flashing warning light in the cluster. Is something like "CHECK BRAKES" (your owners manual shows the exact message) being displayed?

Last edited by Kansas; 04-25-13 at 03:59 AM.
Old 04-25-13, 04:08 AM
auditray20
Driver School Candidate

Its has a message "Brake wear" and a small red light flashing on the left hand side of it.
Old 04-25-13, 09:08 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you recently did a brake job? If so there a possiblity you may have broke the wear sensor on either the front or rear passenger. If you don't need a sensor to tell you when to change your brake then you can just wire the two wires on the sensor to have a complete circuit and that will turn off the wear sensor. There a write up somewhere if you search
Old 04-26-13, 03:34 AM
auditray20
Driver School Candidate

Default Re

If you read my post you would see that Firstly I did an extensive search and secondly that I have tested all parts and found them and "backups" to be functioning properly. Read before you post!
Obviously this is a different set of circumstances as all stated remedies on this forum have failed to work.
The questions remains unanswered then!
Old 04-26-13, 03:59 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Well then ... your problem is apparently caused by some rare condition. Have you followed the diagnostic procedure in the "DI" section of the repair manual for your model year?
Old 04-26-13, 04:16 AM
auditray20
Driver School Candidate

Yes I have but to no avail.
I have read that if you drive the car for a long time with this light on it becomes an even bigger problem. I don't know what was meant by that or if the poster was referring to simply wearing pads to steel which has not happened in my case.
Is there some jumper wire remedy to get rid of codes?
Old 04-27-13, 05:43 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by auditray20
Yes I have but to no avail.
I have read that if you drive the car for a long time with this light on it becomes an even bigger problem. I don't know what was meant by that or if the poster was referring to simply wearing pads to steel which has not happened in my case.
Is there some jumper wire remedy to get rid of codes?
The "bigger problem" occurs only if your brake pads really are worn out, the rotors get damaged, and maybe you crash the car.

I just now looked in the OEM repair manuals for my similar 2000 LS400. I don't see any other tests you can perform other than continuity of the sensor and making sure that, per the instructions, that the sensor connector pressed firmly in the mating connector until a "click" is heard.

Otherwise, my guess is that there is a broken/cracked wire core on the harness into which the brake sensor wire connects .... or maybe the connector on that harness is damaged or severely corroded.
Old 04-27-13, 02:04 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

If you read my post you would see that Firstly I did an extensive search and secondly that I have tested all parts and found them and "backups" to be functioning properly. Read before you post!
Obviously this is a different set of circumstances as all stated remedies on this forum have failed to work.
If you want people's help on here, don't put up stuff like this. This is not a paid service and anyone who puts anything up is just trying to help.
Old 04-27-13, 02:22 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Hesitant to ask, where was the last brake job done? We are with you and feel your frustration!
Old 04-28-13, 12:42 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

No, you missed something. Either the sensor, connector, or harness is damaged. It's a simple, "dumb" circuit. No continuity=light on.

Lose the attitude, it won't get you far here.
Old 04-28-13, 07:14 AM
passing
Driver School Candidate

Ahhhhh auditray you beat me to it.
I joined this site now to reply i watched this forum allweek you tell it straight auditray
I on another forum and also a goldwing site and we have identified 2 guys who post all time and they never owned a wing. They keep frustrating things and have given wrong information on several occasions as well as repeating word for word what fellow posters havesaid They seem to have nothing better to do
I have been reading on here fortwo weeks or so its clear this has happened on this site many times also
the man is correct. read first then post
Old 04-28-13, 11:15 AM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same brake wear light on. I just bought the car and right now it's in the body shop. When I get it back I will check out the brakes and try my best to help.

If you do a ohm test on the pads and it passes then I would think there is something wrong with the harness.

If anyone has a wiring diagram, or if you can find one. Try to locate where that wire goes and check that it is not broken.
Old 05-04-13, 03:51 AM
auditray20
Driver School Candidate

Default Re

Thanks for that guys. I haven't done anything with it lately. I'll let you know if I sort it out.
Old 05-16-13, 12:05 AM
passing
Driver School Candidate

did u fix the problem auditray

Quick Reply: Brake wear indicator flashing