LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just picked up ls400, help me mod this thing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 12:08 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Just picked up ls400, help me mod this thing.

just picked up a very clean white 1993 ls400 . I bought it because it had black interior which is very rare. i can see why some of you guys love this thing. i was surprised how many features it has. clean interior, clean engine, very straight body panels.

What are some things maintenance things i should get right off the bat? to make it run in tip top shape and things would make it a better car.

Please help add to this list. so far all i can think of is...

timing belt
spark plugs
new rotors, pads, flush
megan EZ coils
Hid kit
oil change

thanks guys.
Old 03-22-13, 09:58 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cap's & rotors
Ignition wires
Water pump
Check upper and lower ball joints and controll arms
Check strut rod bushings
Replace ect
Checks drive belts
Inspect/replace vaccum hoses
Check motor and tranny mounts
Check tie rod ends
Inspect power steering system, clean solenoid, flush system
Coolant flush
Air filter
Pcv valve

Hid kit will give you worse visibility while blinding oncoming traffic. If you want hid you should retrofit some projectors into the housings.

That should get you started.
Old 03-22-13, 11:05 AM
timmy0tool

Received 427 Likes on 381 Posts

if you have an ISF you will be able to tell between that and the LS why lexus is successful. quality, even back in the 90s!

you have the right idea, simple maintenance such as the timing/water pump (90k intervals). then check all fluids, bushings, lights, etc just as you would a used car. how many miles does it have?
Old 03-22-13, 01:59 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Thanks for those two posts above me. today, i keep finding ore and ore luxury features that i can't believe cars these days dont even have. im loving this car so far. i was crusiing at 95mph and thought i was doing 60 and had to slow down.

one problem im not sure is normal or not on these cars but the steering wheel seems loose and the car feels a bit floaty at 60+. is there a cure for this?
Old 03-22-13, 03:52 PM
Joshcar
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by floaty but it is a pretty loose steering compared to a more tight/sporty steering wheel of a smaller car. I know the first time I drove one I freaked out for how loose but smooth feeling the steering wheel was lol

But you'll see after some coilovers the car will feel tighter on turns, the steering wheel will still have the loose feeling but I find it to be a bit more direct. It is a luxury car after all
Old 03-22-13, 11:54 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joshcar
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by floaty but it is a pretty loose steering compared to a more tight/sporty steering wheel of a smaller car. I know the first time I drove one I freaked out for how loose but smooth feeling the steering wheel was lol

But you'll see after some coilovers the car will feel tighter on turns, the steering wheel will still have the loose feeling but I find it to be a bit more direct. It is a luxury car after all
i kind of get what you are saying. steering is loose but after reading this post , it is a direct kind of loose, not a bad thing anymore. but floating, it def does at higher speed, like even keeping the steering wheel straight, big long dips, the car would kind of go in the other lane by itself . new tires on the car with good alignment. i might have to check for bad suspension/parts/bushings
Old 03-23-13, 06:20 AM
Joshcar
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
i kind of get what you are saying. steering is loose but after reading this post , it is a direct kind of loose, not a bad thing anymore. but floating, it def does at higher speed, like even keeping the steering wheel straight, big long dips, the car would kind of go in the other lane by itself . new tires on the car with good alignment. i might have to check for bad suspension/parts/bushings
I get what you mean now, yeah in that case you'll want to go and get your alignment checked out
Old 03-24-13, 11:24 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

here are some pics. no dings or dents anywhere. a few scratches on the rear bottom bumper, barely no rock chips or anything.

i put spacers on it and it looks a lot better.

Old 03-24-13, 11:48 PM
Yamae
Forum Moderator

Received 898 Likes on 679 Posts

I would check electrolytic capacitors in the ECU if not replaced yet. They can be checked at the sensors observing the ripple voltage without pulling out the ECU.
Old 03-25-13, 10:01 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow, white on black! Very nice. The steering rack bushings may be worn so the steering isn't as tight. Not sure who makes replacements for this car though.
Old 03-25-13, 11:12 AM
ExpoGeorgi
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What size spacers are on the car? I've been looking for a set
Old 03-25-13, 11:19 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice, as stated before by Timmy, you will see why even these older cars are top notch. I have a 92 that reached 180,000 miles and still running very strong. I look EVERYDAY thru online to look for anything else that could be modified and sad to say that I am running out of mods to do to my car. I have done EVERYTHING possible that I like. Everything from LEDs under seats inside air vents, full custom interior, front and rear VIP tables, full exhaust system, paint, wheels and the list is never ending. If you would like some pics of all the mods I have done Id be glad to post them up so you can get some ideas of what youd like to do to your 1st gen LS. Although ALOT of things weren't made for the 1st gen LS400 that are available to every other one there are plenty of things you can DIY or find ways that people have done to do a specific mod. Happy modding!!!
Old 03-25-13, 12:01 PM
timmy0tool

floaty is somewhat normal on these cars. after all it is a luxury car, but if the car wanders over another lane that's not normal. what is the condition of the struts? blown struts will drive as your described.
Old 03-25-13, 01:17 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yamae
I would check electrolytic capacitors in the ECU if not replaced yet. They can be checked at the sensors observing the ripple voltage without pulling out the ECU.
i'll def check on that. any diy guides?

Originally Posted by chrispy
Wow, white on black! Very nice. The steering rack bushings may be worn so the steering isn't as tight. Not sure who makes replacements for this car though.
thank you. YES, i know, that's why i didn't hesitate to buy it. even the headliner is oem black, that's awesome. steering bushings or blown shocks were my guess but it rides so smooth and quiet.

Originally Posted by ExpoGeorgi
What size spacers are on the car? I've been looking for a set
25mm all around. no rubbing stock height. i took them off the other lexus and they are hubcentric, no problems whatsoever.

Originally Posted by djsurfer
Very nice, as stated before by Timmy, you will see why even these older cars are top notch. I have a 92 that reached 180,000 miles and still running very strong. I look EVERYDAY thru online to look for anything else that could be modified and sad to say that I am running out of mods to do to my car. I have done EVERYTHING possible that I like. Everything from LEDs under seats inside air vents, full custom interior, front and rear VIP tables, full exhaust system, paint, wheels and the list is never ending. If you would like some pics of all the mods I have done Id be glad to post them up so you can get some ideas of what youd like to do to your 1st gen LS. Although ALOT of things weren't made for the 1st gen LS400 that are available to every other one there are plenty of things you can DIY or find ways that people have done to do a specific mod. Happy modding!!!
it is pretty awesome so far. it's a real bargain and gas is really not that bad. i love it.

i would love to see some pics, go ahead and post them.

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
floaty is somewhat normal on these cars. after all it is a luxury car, but if the car wanders over another lane that's not normal. what is the condition of the struts? blown struts will drive as your described.
im not sure if it's the struts but it can be. it rides really smooth for blown shocks if so. i checked the air pressure and it was at 42 all around at cold start up so i lowered it to 36 all around and it feels better already. not perfect but a lot better. im going to look at the struts , if not, i'll buy a new steering bushing.

thanks guys
Old 03-25-13, 01:54 PM
timmy0tool

a quick push down on the bumper can reveal if the shocks are blown. the car should only bounce once, and not go up and down a few times before coming to rest. a car with blown shocks can still feel nice on flat surface.

Quick Reply: Just picked up ls400, help me mod this thing.