LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Resurface rotors or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 04:01 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
gonna have to kinda disagree here with "always"

recently changed my pads front and rear, rotors were smooth as glass, and there is absolutely no pulsing in pedal or anywhere else when brakes are applied, and stopping distance is as good as when car was new, so tell me again why, in my case, that I need to resurface my rotors that are apparently in fabulous shape?
Well then don't do it. I've found that in over a million miles of driving and many, many brake jobs that resurfacing the rotors provides better results. I've regretted not doing it the few times I skipped it.
Old 03-26-13, 05:33 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
gonna have to kinda disagree here with "always"

so tell me again why, in my case, that I need to resurface my rotors that are apparently in fabulous shape?
1)life expectancy of the pads
2)u have pad material embedded into the rotors
why would u do a half azzed job on the most important system ur car has.
3) u can encounter noise due to the different composition of pad materials and whether u realize it or not ur rotors did have grooves in them..its just the nature of the beast and to say they didn't means u car is defying physics.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 03-26-13 at 06:05 PM. Reason: nvm
Old 03-26-13, 10:08 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by python
1)life expectancy of the pads
I am getting about 75K on fronts now, what's wrong with that?

2)u have pad material embedded into the rotors
why would u do a half azzed job on the most important system ur car has.
I really think that if pad material were embedded, they wouldn't look like mirrors, I am a lot more worried about the half-azzed job so many rotor cutting bozos in shops do with their antique machines that haven't been calibrated in 20 years - this embedded pad material may be an issue on metallic pads or ceramic, but I am using the stock pads.

3) u can encounter noise due to the different composition of pad materials and whether u realize it or not ur rotors did have grooves in them..its just the nature of the beast and to say they didn't means u car is defying physics.
if my rotors have grooves you would need an electron microscope to see them, and I ain't worried about microscopic grooves, and I have no noise or vibration whatsover.
Old 03-27-13, 05:41 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

mirrors? or glazed?
u seem to think no one can diag a pre obd 2 car and now no one can turn rotors....we have on the car lathes at most of our shops
75k? like I stated previously...mileage means absolutely nothing, getting 75k in stop and go traffic or city driving is another story
do what u want its ur car..i don't agree with turning every single time if ur rotors aren't grooved or warped, but most people are hard on their brakes.